You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

Surely you just need that Harry Enfield clip on the old arsenal team vs ‘92 Liverpool.

Barging the goalie had them well up at half time from memory, but then the mighty reds bossed the second half by loads.

Same story, except Mo Salah is a touch better than Mark Walters and Michael Thomas.

Yeah,under the current football laws you cannot simply barge the keeper into the back of the net while he has the ball nor kick him like a football until he drops it and you kick it into the net yourself.

I would make an exception for Mignolet. A massive shoeing is warranted 

Surely you just need that Harry Enfield clip on the old arsenal team vs ‘92 Liverpool.

Barging the goalie had them well up at half time from memory, but then the mighty reds bossed the second half by loads.

Same story, except Mo Salah is a touch better than Mark Walters and Michael Thomas.

Charles Charlie-Charles to take Solanke's place on the bench next season.

Meant to post this earlier. As an Irish Liverpool fan of a similar generation to the author, with a son of similar age, and with similar misgivings about football recently, I can really relate...

https://www.joe.co.uk/football/mo-salah-liverpool-champions-league-172781

I have misgivings about brainwashing encouraging my son to follow the Reds. Clicking on the link, I thought he was going to say that Salah's obvious decency as a player and a human being had made him appreciate that football can be a force for good. Instead, he has used Salah's name as a proxy for the bells in Pavlov's dog experiment. 

With 7 games to play this season, Salah has already beaten the career-best goal scoring seasons of:

Shevchenko

Inzaghi

Rooney

Aguero

van Basten

Shearer

Fowler

Eto'o

Trezeguet

van Persie

del Piero

Müller

Crespo

Batistuta

Totti

Drogba.

| via @Antonstotle |

I love Salah, amazing scoring record. Probably my favorite current player m, despite early reservations. However to be fair to the strikers you’ve named above, they played against much superior defenders; in the PL alone; Stam, Vidic, Ferdinand, Campbell, Carvalho, Hyypia. Van Dijk wouldn’t even make top five back then I wouldn’t have thought.

I love Salah, amazing scoring record. Probably my favorite current player m, despite early reservations. However to be fair to the strikers you’ve named above, they played against much superior defenders; in the PL alone; Stam, Vidic, Ferdinand, Campbell, Carvalho, Hyypia. Van Dijk wouldn’t even make top five back then I wouldn’t have thought.

The quality of defenders is probably better now to be honest if you averaged it out. Especially from the premier league in the 90’s. Loads of shite defenders from back then

Granted the stand out defenders seemed better than what we have now

I think the biggest change is the style of football. Burnley are the closest thing to that Blackburn team that Shearer got all them goals in and won the league.

Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah is targeting a place in the club’s history books as he chases Ian Rush’s record for the most goals scored in a single season.

The Egypt international took his tally to 40 for the campaign against Bournemouth at the weekend and is only seven short of equalling Rush, who set the mark in 1983-84.

With four Premier League matches and a two-legged Champions League semi-final to come, Salah has more than enough chances to set a new milestone having already made the most prolific debut for the club.

“There’s a big chance to break the record, to be number one for a club like Liverpool, it’s something huge,” he told Premier League Productions.

“I will be very happy if I break it. I’m happy about 40, I want to keep scoring, I want to be number one for the record.

“It’s always good when you see your name with legends of a club like Liverpool, it’s a different feeling and I’m very happy about that.

“But I always try to look at myself and I want more. I have 40 now, I’m telling myself, ‘Why not? You can be number one!’

“I will try my best to break the record but, as I’ve said before, we play as 11 players, I play for the team.

“It’s not about individual awards, it’s something for the team. I’m sure if I have a chance to give it to someone else to score, I will – it’s not about me, it’s about us.”

With 7 games to play this season, Salah has already beaten the career-best goal scoring seasons of:

Shevchenko

Inzaghi

Rooney

Aguero

van Basten

Shearer

Fowler

Eto'o

Trezeguet

van Persie

del Piero

Müller

Crespo

Batistuta

Totti

Drogba.

| via @Antonstotle |

You forgot Solanke.

You forgot Solanke.

I sincerely hope I am proved completely wrong about Solanke but he looks absolute dogshit at the moment. I realise that he is being slightly compared to Firmino,Salah and Mane but he looks absolutely clueless for a potentially top class player. Like I say,I want to be proved wrong, but he looks massively off even a competent level at present when playing for the first team.

I sincerely hope I am proved completely wrong about Solanke but he looks absolute dogshit at the moment. I realise that he is being slightly compared to Firmino,Salah and Mane but he looks absolutely clueless for a potentially top class player. Like I say,I want to be proved wrong, but he looks massively off even a competent level at present when playing for the first team.

He's looked woeful. But time will tell...

I share this feeling.  He doesn't seem to have a single attribute I can look a and go "ah! that's what he's all about"

Not particular pacey, not great at trapping the ball, not great at holding up play, not great at shooting. 

I share this feeling. He doesn't seem to have a single attribute I can look a and go "ah! that's what he's all about"

Not particular pacey, not great at trapping the ball, not great at holding up play, not great at shooting.

I hope we are both eating humble pie over these posts in a year or so time Paulie. I do agree with you about him not having a particularly strong point that would give us a bit of hope though. At least with Origi we could see that he was pacey,skillful and could score the odd goal,but I am not seeing this in Solanke,yet at least.