You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest atk

Sox take game 3 on the back of an incredible pitching performance from John Lackey and the bullpen. Verlander was also phenomenal but gave up a single homer to Napoli and that's all it took. Game 4 tomorrow and the Sox lead 2-1.

is it first 3 or 4?

since espn america has became a pay channel here in america i only watch highlights on the net

Peavy pitched like an absolute cunt last night. He was fine in the first inning but after that he just didn't have any command and walked three guys in the second inning, including walking in the first run. In a series where runs have been a premium commodity, to just give one away like that was galling. Luckily he gave away four more to cover it up, Pedroia mishandling a ground ball that should have been an inning ending double play and cap the damage at one run. Peavy was traded for so he could come in for games like this and be an asset, instead it would have been better bringing in Doubront or Dempster. Peavy was known as a post-season choke artist and this hasn't done anything to dispell that.

The Sox now have to take two from Sanchez/Verlander/Scherzer. Not impossible as they've just done it but it's a huge ask. They need another big outing from Lester tonight.

Sox take game 5 4-3 in another one run game that again required Koji to come in during the eighth and get a long save. One win away from the World Series with two games at Fenway. Obviously I'd prefer that to be wrapped up on Saturday as I don't think my nerves can take a game seven.

That's the first time I've stayed up and watched an entire match this season. Fucking hell, MLB in post-season is something else. I thought Detroit fucked up because they looked the more dominant team out there. I don't know what Prince Fielder was doing on third. All he had to do was run to home but he hesitated, dithered and allowed Salty to get him out in comical fashion. It was not his finest hour, and apparently his post-season record is very poor too. Victorino's grand slam homer really took the game away from Detroit because while their starting pitching options are excellent, their bullpen looks so unreliable and capable of undoing all the good work by the likes of Scherzer and Verlander.

Anyway, Red Sox win the American League pennant and are going to the World Series against the Cardinals. Unbelievable when you consider that a little over a year ago they had Valentine in the dugout, starting pitchers that were out of form, a bullpen that nobody had any confidence in, overpaid and under-performing players in the starting line-up, and a disenchanted fanbase. This year is very much a case of the whole being greater than the sum of their parts.

It's quite pleasing to see the best regular season teams in both leagues make the World Series. They had identical records too.

Redknight.

can you explain how exactly the Red Sox have gone from an utter joke last season, to a ridiculously consistant grinding machine this year? 

What a turnaround

Two things. A decent general manager and another team that were looking to make a splash with their money. Resetting the payroll by pulling off the mega trade with the Dodgers allowed the Red Sox to clear a load of salary room, get players on long contracts off the roster and remould the team. They brought in a manager who was familiar with the Red Sox and he and his backroom staff worked with the pitching staff to get them back on track. The Red Sox last year were never THAT bad, it was circumstances, injury and a bad manager which combined to create a toxic situation.