You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest atk

I find the dislike for Rodriguez a bit odd. What have I missed? Is it more than a multi-millionaire sportsman with a huge talent, and equally big ego?

Or something else?

I find the 211 game ban absolutely ridiculous. Surely he'll appeal?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shattered but the Red Sox advanced to the ALCS last night after beating Tampa 2-1 and 3-1 overall in the ALDS. 

You must have nodded off before the 9th as the Red Sox added another run to win the game 3-1!

But yes, a 3-1 series win puts them into the ALCS against either Detroit or Oakland. They have had their troubles against both so it will be a very tough series. More positive is the fact that the Red Sox have continued to score runs as the pressure rises, and being able to continue in that vein puts them in with a very good chance of making the World Series. A year ago, the Red Sox were really scraping the barrel with Bobby Valentine in the dugout and a load of high-earners dumped off the payroll, finishing rock bottom. It's been quite a turnaround this year.

The parallels for FSG between the Red Sox and their other huge sporting concern is that both have employed a young manager, both have removed a number of high earners off the payroll, and both have seen an upturn in fortunes for 2013.

If we're making parallels between the sports holdings of FSG, then Bobby Valentine would be the equivalent of Roy Hodgson.

I've been a Red Sox fan all my life, but I can't recall another season where I watched so little baseball. I hardly know half the team now, but they look like they have good chemistry/team spirit, which can really make a difference in October.

I have two baseballs from Red Sox foul balls - one in Minnesota off of catcher Rich Gedman, and one from Nomar Garciaperra in Oakland. That one was cool because I had about ten feet of free space around me behind first base, and caught it clean in front of everyone. Next pitch Nomar sent over the third base wall for a two run game winning homer.

Amazing end to Game 2 of the ALCS. Red Sox were getting owned by Detroit Pitching until the 8th when Big Papi hit a grand slam. Then there was a walk off in the ninth when Salty scored Gomes. Just amazing. The image of Hunter going over the bullpen wall whilst that Boston cop celebrates will go down in Boston sports history.

Amazing end to Game 2 of the ALCS. Red Sox were getting owned by Detroit Pitching until the 8th when Big Papi hit a grand slam. Then there was a walk off in the ninth when Salty scored Gomes. Just amazing. The image of Hunter going over the bullpen wall whilst that Boston cop celebrates will go down in Boston sports history.

Just seen the video on the MLB website, and that looked painful. I can't say for certain, but if that was in a regular season game, would there have been as great an effort to try and get to that ball? Not saying the players don't make as big an effort in the regular season, but there seems to be more intensity in the post-season games. Maybe it's the occasion which makes it appear so, I don't know.

That Boston cop:

bos_bullpen_cop_300x300.jpg

Incidentally, why would they place a cop in the bullpen(s)? I understand that player security is important, but I'd have thought security staff could take care of stuff like that.

• Upvote 1

fuck boston

Hahaha loser.

Just seen the video on the MLB website, and that looked painful. I can't say for certain, but if that was in a regular season game, would there have been as great an effort to try and get to that ball? Not saying the players don't make as big an effort in the regular season, but there seems to be more intensity in the post-season games. Maybe it's the occasion which makes it appear so, I don't know.

That Boston cop:

bos_bullpen_cop_300x300.jpg

Incidentally, why would they place a cop in the bullpen(s)? I understand that player security is important, but I'd have thought security staff could take care of stuff like that.

That photo is great but this one is fucking amazing.

BWgeXSECMAEuc8f.jpg

They have security too but they use police in the areas where the players are located like the bullpen and dugouts.

• Upvote 1

They have security too but they use police in the areas where the players are located like the bullpen and dugouts.

Is that a recent thing linked to the Boston bombings, or does it go back to stuff like 9/11? Granted I've not been following baseball long and certainly not in any great detail, but I'm not aware of any incidents involving the close proximity of the crowd that necessitated the need for added security.