You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Getting fit and shedding pounds

Paul

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Haven't read much of this. I agree calories ingested vs calories expended is important. The most important thing in weight loss alone, I'd agree. I'd argue against the 'nothing more' part, though. The way your metabolism reacts to your food intake is an important factor in that equation, meaning that this - I'm paraphrasing - 'eating 2000 calories in burgers is the same as 2000 calories in a healthy, metabolism boosting foods' isn't quite on the money. You'll lose more weight over the same period of time if you can boost your metabolism than if you eat foods which slow it down. OR more accurately eat foods which contain things which boost your metabolism and/or make it harder to absorb calories in certain types of foods. I'd also argue that another part of the equation is when and how often you eat.

So be careful if you're just eating one 1500 calorie burger a day and trying to lose weight. It's possible, of course. It's just really foolish, hard to sustain, likely slower than eating the right types of foods, and unlikely to stay off at the end. Eating only a lettuce leaf will make you lose weight, but your body will go into a starvation response. Now, that'll lose you weight, but it won't necessarily lose you a lot of fat in the long run. It'll go for the glycogen in your liver first. So, yeah, be careful.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Also, keeping insulin levels regulated is important, as increased levels tells your body to store fat (or slow the metabolism down). So eating 1500 calories in cane sugar probably isn't the best bet if you want to 1) lose fat 2) stay alive.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Carbs are the enemy, simple as.

Complex carbs are good. They get your thyroid working, and thus your metabolism up and your insulin down. Good shit. Simple carbs, though... work of the devil! I'm a sucker for white bread. White bread is basically the worst. Well, it's not the worst, but it's pretty fucking bad, considering how much of it we can eat without really realising it. I don't know about you, but I could do 5 slices of toast with a cuppa and not even realise it. I don't even buy it anymore. Devil's food.

Complex carbs are good. They get your thyroid working, and thus your metabolism up and your insulin down. Good shit. Simple carbs, though... work of the devil! I'm a sucker for white bread. White bread is basically the worst. Well, it's not the worst, but it's pretty fucking bad, considering how much of it we can eat without really realising it. I don't know about you, but I could do 5 slices of toast with a cuppa and not even realise it. I don't even buy it anymore. Devil's food.

Correct. Bread, white pasta, chips, crisps, bear, unless you're a freak you've no chance of staying slim. If you consume less than 60 or 70 carbs a day then calories become pretty much redundant. That's my experience anyway.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Correct. Bread, white pasta, chips, crisps, bear, unless you're a freak you've no chance of staying slim. If you consume less than 60 or 70 carbs a day then calories become pretty much redundant. That's my experience anyway.

So, essentially how it works is you list the things you like and they're all terrible for you. GREAT.

Now I know there's a God. That can't be random. (Fuck off, Stronts, I'm joking).

They're carb-free but catching them is tricky. Sometimes you end up being the dinner, not the other way around.

NV, you're right about the Insulin. You're pretty much completely wrong on the metabolism from though mate. I would expand but Im on a phone.

Edit: what are metabolism boosting foods? Every single food is metabolism boosting. And none of them boost your metabolism much at all.

Jair, I'm sorry, I'm an arsehole. Just had a lot on, got an interview on Monday. Will try message you tonight.

Correct. Bread' date=' white pasta, chips, crisps, bear, unless you're a freak you've no chance of staying slim. If you consume less than 60 or 70 carbs a day then calories become pretty much redundant. That's my experience anyway.[/quote']

I completely disagree

People think certain food is evil but it's not - it just has its place in your diet. If you're eating simple carbs like bread or crisps and sitting on your tod then of course it makes no sense.

I eat one of those things every day and I'm staying slim. And im incredibly susceptible to putting on weight. When I mean incredibly, i really quickly become a fat cunt. Honest. That's why I'm so into this stuff.

In terms of metabolism proteins make you system work harder than anything else to break down and are more effective at firing your metabolism than complex carbs.

In terms of carbs, ready consumption of either complex or simple inhibits the use of fat as a fuel and the body will rely on converted glycogen or stored.

Starvation mode does not exist. Yes your body will slow down if you reduce calories but the body can never stop using fuel.

Can the lot of yers shut the fuck up with this boring argument that's dragged on for weeks and let us out of shape bastards have our glory? Dunno exactly how many calories having the read you lot repeat the same points over and over again burn but it's burning my head out!

In others news I've stepped up my gym workouts this week, adding low bar back squats to my weights routine, and ending sessions with a 2k run (somehow managed do it in in just under 13 minutes and I have no idea how) to go with my 15k incline cycle to start. Been feeling absolutely fucked afterwards - in a good way - but noticing steady progress fitness wise, which is really encouraging.

Still a long way to go, and with this being my birthday weekend I plan to give myself a two day reprieve and not worry about what I'm eating and drinking, but made up that I've really kicked on this month after doing alright without the extra exercise in June and July.

I agree with what NV has said. I honestly have no idea if it's a physical thing or whether it's just mental, and frankly I don't care, but cutting down on carbs has been a huge help for me. We no longer buy bread - I always preferred wholemeal to white, anyway - and I don't eat potatoes more than maybe once a fortnight; the same with pasta. Even when I do have them, I have smaller portions than previously as they fill me up far quicker.

I've found a calorie controlled, high protein diet has been boss, and I'm not as strict on the calorie count as I could be. But simply, less carbs, more fruit and veg and plenty of water has been the only real changes I've made and I'm happy with the results. Still get to eat my rice and noodles, which is a deal breaker. If other people have success with other methods then great, but different strokes for different folks.

NV, you're right about the Insulin. You're pretty much completely wrong on the metabolism from though mate.

You're also wrong about 'starvation response' it's another myth.

I'm not just saying this stuff on a whim, but after hours and hours of research and reading on the subject.

If you're interested mate ill send you over some books to read when I get a chance.

I completely disagree

I eat one of those things every day and I'm staying slim. And im incredibly susceptible to putting on weight. When I mean incredibly, i really quickly become a fat cunt. Honest. That's why I'm so into this stuff.

You sure are into this stuff. You know the truth, the rest of us are ignorant.

Congratulations.

I agree with what NV has said. I honestly have no idea if it's a physical thing or whether it's just mental, and frankly I don't care, but cutting down on carbs has been a huge help for me. We no longer buy bread - I always preferred wholemeal to white, anyway - and I don't eat potatoes more than maybe once a fortnight; the same with pasta. Even when I do have them, I have smaller portions than previously as they fill me up far quicker.

I've found a calorie controlled, high protein diet has been boss, and I'm not as strict on the calorie count as I could be. But simply, less carbs, more fruit and veg and plenty of water has been the only real changes I've made and I'm happy with the results. Still get to eat my rice and noodles, which is a deal breaker. If other people have success with other methods then great, but different strokes for different folks.

But you're asian, your opinion doesn't count because you're skinny by nature!

Well done on the weight loss mate. Totally agree with the last line. I guess I get bogged down in the science of it all. I've done no carbs before and it has worked a treat! Whatever works for you is all that matters.

Jair I'm messaging you now.

You sure are into this stuff. You know the truth, the rest of us are ignorant.

Congratulations.

Sorry - I didn't mean to come across combative before.

Im not saying people are ignorant at all, I'm just trying to share some of the stuff that I've learnt about weight loss. You're right, I am passionate about it (and health in general, mainly due to having severely unfit/overweight family members in the past) - I don't think theres anything wrong with it.

Good luck with whatever works for you.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
NV, you're right about the Insulin. You're pretty much completely wrong on the metabolism from though mate. I would expand but Im on a phone.

Okay, give me a shout when you're back to expand. I'll be happy to expand on what I said about metabolism and starvation response. Again, what I said about them, not some strange argument you've had with some beefcake on a bodybuilding forum, but what I actually said.

EDIT: Sounded shirty, but didn't mean to be. A lot of these things stem from those sort of places, that's all.

Okay, give me a shout when you're back to expand. I'll be happy to expand on what I said about metabolism and starvation response. Again, what I said about them, not some strange argument you've had with some beefcake on a bodybuilding forum, but what I actually said.

EDIT: Sounded shirty, but didn't mean to be. A lot of these things stem from those sort of places, that's all.

I will do in the future (not today, the league is starting tomorrow!). Probably via PM just because the rest of the forum is rather bored of the whole discussion!

Its not something I've devised on a bodybuilding forum. I've read a bucketload of journals and scientific studies on the topic, and given that I did a fairly scientific degree, i'm reasonably adept at understanding the fundamentals behind them.

Honestly, I had the exact same opinion as you two years ago, so I completely understand your point of view. Ill send you over some books which will change your mind, though.

Goodnight!

Just on the starvation response thing I don't think it's a "myth" per se as FrenchEyeGlass put it, but rather the time it actually takes to happen is severely underplayed by most. Sure if you go days on a water fast for example it's bound to happen eventually (though the time will vary based on other factors), but it's not something that happens in a matter of hours as some would have you believe. At least that's my understanding of it from my own research and experiences.

Also on the carbs, in my experience the simple carbs which as you rightly said are shit for you also serve to only make you hungrier throughout the day. I believe that's the main reason it's easy to binge when snacking on them, the small input of sugar with each one is pleasurable both physically and mentally and they aren't immediately filling so before you know it you've had half a bag/tray of chips or 4-5 slices of toast.

Whilst I'm no nutritional science major I found long ago when I was a kid that eating something sweet and simple carb loaded for breakfast (pancakes, french toast, donuts, waffles as examples) only served to have me craving some sort of meat within the next few hours. Since giving them up bar the occasional treat I've found that most simple carbs are really very bland without a topping of some sort anyway, which has made it easier from a mental standpoint to lay off them.