You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest San Don
So the answer is to replace him with someone who isn't as good/possibly as good/maybe marginally better than the current version of Reina for £9m?

Not that I want to do reina down who was, as you say a good keeper. World class like some frequently suggest, I dont agree and certainly Spain have never seen it that way. He's also made numerous gaffes over the last 3 seasons. His major weakness is his near post and one on ones. Even his penalty saving edge has gone.

So, the answer is to bring in quality competition and tell him he's no longer guaranteed first choice. If he hasnt got the stomach for that, maybe its better he does go out on loan.

The point is Reina had won two golden gloves by the time he was 25.

Mignolet has shown nothing absolutely nothing to suggest he'll ever get near that level.

No, the point is he won the golden gloves a few years ago. Guess what, he hasnt won it since because of his gaffes. What you're saying is keep him because of his past reputation. He was prepared to stay while Jones was his competition but clearly doesnt want to face up to quality competition in Mignolet.

I am surprised we havent sold him outright instead of a loan with a possible view to sell. To me, that's the only questionable thing.

Reina should have been sold first, the fact we were bidding for mignolet let clubs know we were looking to sell so your argument about it would have been harder to sign a keeper after he was sold is wrong imo.

The problem is our team needs big investment and we have just used 9m on a position that could have waited to be addressed, we should have just stuck with Reina until next summer.

Well i guess we'll have to agree to disagree on point one, as up until the moment Mignolet was signed we could at least point to the fact Reina had said he was happy to stay and we had the option of walking away if the price rose too high. Had we sold first we'd have no bargaining power.

As for investment in the squad. The manager clearly thinks we needed a new goalkeeper, and as much as i like Pepe he's not been his best for a while. The market for GKs is small, few decent ones turn up, and with a raft of European teams on the lookout for quality young keepers the time to grab one was when one turned up that we had the ability to buy.

Reina wanted to go to Barca, based on nothing or the owners/Rogers have wanted Reina gone all season.

Well it's quite obvious what is going on here. All they want and do is reduce the wage bill. I'm not sure yet whether they are planning to sell the club or just milk the cash cow.

They want desperately to cash in on Suarez and Reina and their appointed YESMAN Rodgers is playing their game.

...and all that when the annual TV rights income doubles from this season.

Edited by Nightcat

We signed Reina when he was 22 for £6m.

Between 2005 & 2009 he was' date=' along with Cech & Casillas the best keeper on the planet.

We have now signed Mignolet for £9m who's 26 who may be as good/marginally better but in all likelihood inferior to the current Pepe Reina.

He is not and never will be better than Reina between 2005-2009.

We have now loaned out Reina.

It's poor by everyone concerned.[/quote']

It's not 2009 any more and Reina isn't longer world class

I'm a bit miffed that we couldn't sell him instead of loaning him but then I'm also aware that if he doesn't want to go on a permanent deal there is nothing we can really do about it.

If Reina had forced a move somewhere and we didn't have a keeper sorted out the same people laying into the club and Rodgers would still be laying into them for not having their shit together. They'd moan that now we haven't got a keeper everyone will know we need one and put the prices up.

I'd have preferred to keep Reina and not sign another keeper but I understand that with him giving the flirty eyes to other clubs the club have decided to be proactive and sort the situation out themselves.

The idea that we would keep both is just daft. Neither wants to be second choice, it would cost too much and it is also the last thing a new keeper at a big club needs to be looking over at the bench every time he makes a mistake. Very few great keepers have needed competition to keep them on their toes, security is a better motivator.

I also don't know why people are that bothered about £9m. We've hardly spent any net cash so far this summer and if Suarez goes we'll probably end up with more cash than we can manage to spend on decent players that want to come to us. We're also buying a £9m asset that will be very likely to lose any of that value over the next three years, whilst saving about £40k a week, or about £2.1m a year (that's without any probable loan fee for Reina and the possibility he'll be worth more after a year in the Champions League).

this seems fairly pragmatic to me. he wanted Barca, we agreed, but only after we signed our own goalie first. barca splunked on neymar, money is tight, valdes didn't leave, they don't need him til next season. we are covered, deal with it pepe, oh you want to go on loan? sure why not, we don't want to pay a backup.

but folks need to stop moaning about the wages part. it all depends on how the deal is structured. are Napoli paying us a loan fee? how is that structured? all in one year, amortized over multiple years? does the loan fee offset or pay us more than the combined wages amount?

in the era of FFP I fully expect clubs to work like wall street banks. creative accounting rules.

do we fully expect to get all the financial details from the press? if that's the case then what's the actual transfer fee for Jordan Henderson? cause everyone says something different

I think this has happened as Valdes said he's staying for one more season at Barca. Valdes will move next summer and Reina will replace him, which is probably why he didn't want to sign a permanent deal with another club this summer.

this seems fairly pragmatic to me. he wanted Barca, we agreed, but only after we signed our own goalie first. barca splunked on neymar, money is tight, valdes didn't leave, they don't need him til next season. we are covered, deal with it pepe, oh you want to go on loan? sure why not, we don't want to pay a backup.

but folks need to stop moaning about the wages part. it all depends on how the deal is structured. are Napoli paying us a loan fee? how is that structured? all in one year, amortized over multiple years? does the loan fee offset or pay us more than the combined wages amount?

in the era of FFP I fully expect clubs to work like wall street banks. creative accounting rules.

do we fully expect to get all the financial details from the press? if that's the case then what's the actual transfer fee for Jordan Henderson? cause everyone says something different

There is no era of FFP - FFP is nothing but an excuse giving tool for clubs like ours who like boasting about ambition, but need an excuse not to back it up.

Rodgers insisted Mignolet had been brought in to provide competition for Reina rather than replace him.

However, Reina's status as one of the club's highest earners on around £110,000 per week meant it was always unlikely that Liverpool's owners would accept the prospect of him staying around to warm the bench.

Or we can choose to believe what San Don's cat heard Reina say to his golfing buddy as he was rubbing his hands together on the prospect of a move.

He wasnt forced out. No, never that. Shut up Liverpool echo

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Henry could urinate on the Shankly gates then sell them to a gypsy and some of the shills/ pr men/ simpletons would defend it.

Well, what's the commercial value in those gates? I'd sooner see them sold and put towards a buffet for the lads at Sky Sports.

Henry could urinate on the Shankly gates then sell them to a gypsy and some of the shills/ pr men/ simpletons would defend it.

Those gates have been great gates for the club but we could sell them and reinvest it in 2 brand new, young, hungry sets of gates from Spain that need painting less and in time will be just as good

It's FFP

When I consider how shit Reina is, the certainty we'll get a great fee for him next year, Mignolet's unquestionable pedigree, as exemplified by his awesome shot/save ratio, it's hard to consider this anything other than the greatest day in the club's history.

Or we can choose to believe what San Don's cat heard Reina say to his golfing buddy as he was rubbing his hands together on the prospect of a move.

He wasnt forced out. No, never that. Shut up Liverpool echo

That's bullshit from the echo and poor journalism by whoever wrote it.Rodgers has a wage and transfer budget, Reina is not being forced out by owners this is Rodgers doing, no manager signs a new goalkeeper to keep there current one on a 100k plus on the bench.

Well they broke the story. We dont know but San Don is claiming this is all Reina, Reina told the club to get Mignolet in cos he wants to go and then Valdes stayed at Barca then Reina forced us to let him go to Napoli, have I got that about right San Don? It is unclear if Rafa and Pepe rubbed hands on a deal on a golf course somewhere to fuck the club over but when San Don thinks of a suitable scenario that will allow us all to sleep easier at night, Im sure he will let us know.

Im not claiming to know either if it is the owners or Rogers who made the decisions but I simply reject San Dons version of events which he, made up himself to fit his particular scenario of shifting any culpability away from Rogers/FSG. We cant have that now.

Reina may have wanted to go to barca but when Valdes was staying Reina came out and said he would stay at Liverpool, I have no doubt if he did he would have played with 100% commitment.

The club tried to be smart and sign his replacement thinking we could sell him, this was clear to clubs and they have used it to there advantage to get him on loan.

His and mignolets transfer should have waited until next summer, he knows if he's going barca or not and if not he has to find club to move to permanently.We have needlessly spent 9m when other areas need addressing.

Reina may have wanted to go to barca but when Valdes was staying Reina came out and said he would stay at Liverpool, I have no doubt if he did he would have played with 100% commitment.

The club tried to be smart and sign his replacement thinking we could sell him, this was clear to clubs and they have used it to there advantage to get him on loan.

His and mignolets transfer should have waited until next summer, he knows if he's going barca or not and if not he has to find club to move to permanently.We have needlessly spent 9m when other areas need addressing.

The way Sunderland have been spending I reckon they would have always sold Mignolet this summer to help fund that.

Maybe it couldn't have waited till next year.

Reina wouldn't have told Barca to wait for him till next year so we could sort a replacement out.

Pepe was looking to move and we dealt to it. I'd rather us be in the position of having 2 good keepers and need to get rid of one than have either no good keepers or one good keeper who has had questionable motivation and form for 3 years and clearly wants out

When did Valdes confirm he's staying? How sure are we that Reina wouldn't have fluttered his eyelashes at someone else if given the chance? Maybe even Napoli.

I can understand if the club decide they can't take that chance and want to be proactive, I don't get how other people can't see that.

I'm not sold on the fact that we couldn't have just told Reina to play his contract out and then held out for an equally good keeper being available in 2 years (losing us a fee on Reina, his wages and possibly a higher fee due to the wider knowledge we need a keeper). That doesn't mean I can't see the other side that we might not want a player that isn't pulling up that many trees just coasting in his final two years and being miffed at being told to stay, and also that people at the club might think Mignolet is better, or at least will be better.

I don't think he is better but I'm not going to spend that much time arguing with someone about it as I think it's a fair enough opinion to hold. I just think a footballing keeper is important to us, stability would be nice, and Reina ticks those boxes.

NO, THATS NOT WHAT HAPPEND.

Reina wanted to go?

Oh right, why did he sign a new contract last January pray tell?

The idea that we would keep both is just daft. Neither wants to be second choice, it would cost too much and it is also the last thing a new keeper at a big club needs to be looking over at the bench every time he makes a mistake. Very few great keepers have needed competition to keep them on their toes, security is a better motivator.

Spot on. Fingers crossed Mignolet, like Pepe, has what it takes to play for a big club.