You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The important position poll

Bjornebye

What do we need the most?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What do we need the most?

• Goalie
    • Right Back
    • Centre Back
    • Left Back
    • Defensive Midfielder
    • Winger
    • Attacking Midfielder
    • Striker

Ok so everyone seems to have a different opinion about which position we need to fill the most.

lets have a fucking vote!

I'm going with Defensive Midfielder because we are lacking a proper ball winner in the centre and the defense are exposed far too much. I know we are losing Carra but we still have Kelly and Wisdom along with Coates. Agger and Skrtel aren't playing great but they are still top class defenders.

and my realistic choice to come in as a DM is Victor Wanyama from celtic.

vote for your favoured position then say who you want in that position. realistically.

It’s obviously centre back. We lose 2, probably 3 in the summer and if we were to rely on Kelly somehow magically not being injured all the time, or a teenager in Wisdom stepping up to be a first team regular then I think we’d be absolutely fucked. We need an experienced centreback that we’ll need to pay for and then maybe a bit of a risk from a foreign league or an older player we get cheap or for free but still has experience.

It’s obviously centre back. We lose 2, probably 3 in the summer and if we were to rely on Kelly somehow magically not being injured all the time, or a teenager in Wisdom stepping up to be a first team regular then I think we’d be absolutely fucked. We need an experienced centreback that we’ll need to pay for and then maybe a bit of a risk from a foreign league or an older player we get cheap or for free but still has experience.

how will we? we dont have too? Your assuming we will sell coates and skrtel but realistically we dont need too. Skrtel is getting a lot of stick but fuck me none of the defence can defend a set piece right now but he hasnt become a shit defender over-night and it can be rectified.

how will we? we dont have too? Your assuming we will sell coates and skrtel but realistically we dont need too. Skrtel is getting a lot of stick but fuck me none of the defence can defend a set piece right now but he hasnt become a shit defender over-night and it can be rectified.

I agree that Skrtel is just another defender in a cacophony of shitness. Agger has made some very elementary mistakes this year also. However, I just think Agger is suffering a bit of a dip in form and also misses a good dominant centreback beside him all the time. Give him a 27 year old Carragher and we are properly set. Skrtel however seems to have lost interest. His head was turned and I think he regrets not leaving last summer. Last season seems to be a bit of a freak and the mistake ridden 50p headed Skrtel seems to be the norm. I think he wants out and I think Rodgers will cash in.

Coates was the young player of the tournament at the last Copa America so no way will he want to be sitting in the reserves of a midtable English league club. He’s going to be sold or at the very least end up on a season long loan.

I understand what you are saying though and you could very easily be proved right; I just think what I’m saying above is more likely the case and that's where we'll need the most improvement.

If Skrtel was to turn it around and Coates was to stay and prove his worth, then I'd love to see a top class dominant pacy defensive midfielder come in.

I agree that Skrtel is just another defender in a cacophony of shitness. Agger has made some very elementary mistakes this year also. However, I just think Agger is suffering a bit of a dip in form and also misses a good dominant centreback beside him all the time. Give him a 27 year old Carragher and we are properly set. Skrtel however seems to have lost interest. His head was turned and I think he regrets not leaving last summer. Last season seems to be a bit of a freak and the mistake ridden 50p headed Skrtel seems to be the norm. I think he wants out and I think Rodgers will cash in.

Coates was the young player of the tournament at the last Copa America so no way will he want to be sitting in the reserves of a midtable English league club. He’s going to be sold or at the very least end up on a season long loan.

I understand what you are saying though and you could very easily be proved right; I just think what I’m saying above is more likely the case and that's where we'll need the most improvement.

If Skrtel was to turn it around and Coates was to stay and prove his worth, then I'd love to see a top class dominant pacy defensive midfielder come in.

agree on many points there mate. but this is a situation where the manager earns his dollar. he needs to get their heads right starting with skrtel.

coates cant expect to be a pot head and still play although id prefer a loan deal over a sale as i think he can be good.

i'm not saying we dont need a centre back, i just think that given the squad we have right now, a decent DM for me is the most important addition.

i agree with jarzinho.

We could manufacture a 26 year old Claude Makelele to play as defensive midfielder for us, he'd still be fucked when he has to cover the space between defence and attack.

We're too deep, they're not quick enough to have the confidence to play higher, and it's about time we gave ourselves a fighting chance.

Do the people saying DM want Lucas on the bench?

I think he'll be back to his best next season. I definitely want a defensive midfielder to come in to deputise/rotate with Lucas, but a centre back is a much higher priority in my mind. In fact, since we're going to need two of them I'd put the second centre back higher on my list as well.