You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Lothar Matthaus at 26 was probably the best player in the world, by 31 he was on the wane and moved back to sweeper. He played at Bayern until he was 39.

Frank Rijkaard played in the same era was also one the worlds best midfielders, he moved to center back at 31 and played for 2 years, winning the European cup in the last match at Ajax.

Matthias Sammer is another who moved from high scoring midfielder to center back, again finishing up with European cup medal and a European player of the year award.

Gerrard is the same class as those 3 and quite similar in many ways to Matthaus. At 26 Gerrard was the best player Europe, at 31 he is still quality but despite playing every game got no where near the premier league team of the season. He has 2 years left as a midfielder or 5 or 6 left strolling around controlling everything in our shambolic defence.

It's not happening

Because he's Barcelona's best young player. Why would they get rid? Why would he join us?

I assumed he was way down the pecking order! Messi, Pedro, Sanchez, Villa and whilst Villa is on his way, they want one or two attackers in the summer (Sid Lowe).

He doesn't want to leave - but if they want rid, he will.

Because he's Barcelona's best young player. Why would they get rid? Why would he join us?

I know what you're saying but look at what Fabregas did with Arsenal. Surely he could come here for a better chance of playing first team football and if/when he sets the world a light Barca could be in for him. At that point either we get a good fee for him or he decides he wants to stay here.

I assumed he was way down the pecking order! Messi, Pedro, Sanchez, Villa and whilst Villa is on his way, they want one or two attackers in the summer (Sid Lowe).

He doesn't want to leave - but if they want rid, he will.

Villa, and possibly Sanchez, will leave. I think this season Barcelona have seen with Tello's cameos that he offers something the rest of their squad can't. Raw pace, and a more direct approach. I'd be amazed if they let him go.

Maybe if they sign a few attackers he could be available on loan. We should be all over that if he is, he'd be perfect for our league. We'd have plenty of competition to get him in though.

I'd be interested to see what Barcelona do with Cuenca. Not as quick as Tello, but a really intelligent young forward.

I'm throwing this out there - basically because I don't have a cluewhat we are going to do, and to be honest - know fuck all about foreign players! (If ESPN don't cover their league I don't know).

But - is Skrtel going to leave, or Coates, or both - which would be a lot of change in defense. I think Skrtel should leave and would fetch more, but Coates probably will and fetch less. Tiago Llori seems promising but I don't know too much about him, De Vrij may be an option but expensive and Williams also, but again expensive - if Coates goes Llori and Diakete or Douglas may be an option, but would be a risk. If Skrtel goes then Llori, and De Vrij, Welferfelderwelder or Williams could be an option.

I'd love a nugget like Shaw at left back as well. I realise I risk the wrath of LFD but still don't like Enrique. I have *tried, but just don't feel safe with him.

*this is a lie, I haven't tried at all!

• Downvote 1

Lothar Matthaus at 26 was probably the best player in the world, by 31 he was on the wane and moved back to sweeper. He played at Bayern until he was 39.

Frank Rijkaard played in the same era was also one the worlds best midfielders, he moved to center back at 31 and played for 2 years, winning the European cup in the last match at Ajax.

Matthias Sammer is another who moved from high scoring midfielder to center back, again finishing up with European cup medal and a European player of the year award.

Gerrard is the same class as those 3 and quite similar in many ways to Matthaus. At 26 Gerrard was the best player Europe, at 31 he is still quality but despite playing every game got no where near the premier league team of the season. He has 2 years left as a midfielder or 5 or 6 left strolling around controlling everything in our shambolic defence.

Bit early to get on the Hofenbrau isn't it?

The players you have listed were all defensive midfielders. Steven Gerrard is an attacking midfielder. I wouldn't want him at centre half at all.

I'd rather him up-front if anything other than AM. Or even right back. he is not and never will be a centre-half.

Do we really want wholesale changes? I'd like to see another attacking wide player - Sanchez?, a dynamic destroyer in the middle of the park and a centre back to play alongside Agger since it's clear Skrtel isn't in Rodgers' plans- de Vrij? Of course we've no idea how much money will be available but we don't want another season of transition.

All these young defenders getting mentioned that haven't even played in the PL is a bit of a worry, we need experience back there, preferably someone who has played in the PL before we bring in whatever promising 21 year old.

If Skrtel gets sold were left with Agger who can hardly be relied on, it would be a massive worry if we were left to rely on a couple new 21/22 year olds who have never played in the PL.

No two ways about it we need at least 1 older head, and surely Rodgers must be thinking about Kelly moving inside to, he has it all to be a good CB but again he can't be relied on either because of constant injuries.

That has to be the worst shout in this thread so far...

That sort of signing would make me weep.

Have we not learned anything after these last few years?

Are you fucking daft? I live with a sunderland fan so watch a bit of them and for me he is their best player. Spurs will keep hold of him. he is decent

The presumption is that Rooney stays because Moyes is coming in and Rooney wants to start and not sit on the bench. But, if Fergie was benching him, it was for a reason. So why would Moyes coming in change any of that now? I still think he's off. If he went to City, it would be horrible and funny at the same time.