You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Martin Kelly signs.

Big Cheese

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His crossing is one of his main attributes. When he starts playing again, look at how he crosses the ball hard and low into the 6 yard box.

He's a bit like Finnan, doesn't get the credit he deserves, i think hes a quality player.

I can't think of a more underrated player than Finnan, the guy hardly ever had a bad game and was usually very effective both going forward and defending, couldn't believe it a couple of years ago on a general football forum that I got slaughtered for suggesting Lucas bloody Neill wouldn't have been able to displace him from the side

however when he started to get past his best (probably about halfway through the 07/08 season) I don't remember many declines happening as quickly, let go the following summer as part of the Riera deal, barely played for Espanyol due to injury then moved to Portsmouth a year later and didn't do that much then retired

Kelly is not as dynamisc or exciting as Johnson but he is a hell of a defender and gets up and down the right side and as mentioned earlier, can cross a ball. The big thing for me though is that he always plays well in the big games. He has the temperament to be a Liverpool player.

He might get rid of the injuries if he starts playing as CB. He is fast and he's a good footballer but I feel that the constant full back runs to attack and defend the pacy wingers are destroying his body. Time to move him more centrally.

I agree with this. I can't see him staying fit for long making those lung-busting runs down the wings, and I can't see him playing ahead of Johnson for the next few years. We need another centre half and he fits the bill. He's tall enough, he's quick, he can pass and he reads the game well. With the right coaching he could be top class.

Excellent news.

I don't think he should play again this season, take the time to strengthen and be ready and hungry in August.

He may never play again, in any season. Hopefully though, being positive, he'll return and it'll be just like old times - albeit, with some improvement.

• 2 months later...
Rodgers: I wanted to sign Kelly

Brendan Rodgers has been a keen admirer of Martin Kelly's talents for some time - and the boss admits he even tried to sign the youngster on a loan deal during his time at Swansea.

Kelly has been sidelined since September 2012 after sustaining an ACL rupture of his right knee in the Anfield clash against Manchester United.

However, his importance to the Liverpool squad was underlined when the flexible full-back put pen to paper on a new long-term contract in February this year.

Today Rodgers emphasised how the 22-year-old's ability to operate in both the full-back and centre-back role can benefit the club going forward.

"I knew Martin when he was growing up and I've seen him develop both as a right-back and at centre-back," Rodgers told reporters gathered at Melwood.

"I actually tried to take him to Swansea on loan.

"He's a player that gives 150 per cent in each game. He started the season in the side and I thought he did really well.

"He's working very hard on and off the field at the moment and we're working so that he comes back physically and mentally a better player. Once he gets back, we can look at an individual plan for him.

"But I think the most important thing for Martin, and it's similar to what we've done with Steven [Gerrard] this year, is that we make sure he's going to be available.

"You can be as good a player as you want but if you're not available and you can't get a run of games consistently, then it's difficult for you.

"He has shown he is a talent and has shown that he can play at centre-half and at full-back - hence the reason why we gave him a new contract.

"But what we have got to do is get him out on the training field. And we have to get him on the pitch as often as we possibly can and then I think that you'll see he can be a quality player."

Rodgers: I wanted to sign Kelly - Liverpool FC

I think moving him to centre back would be best.

We have a quality right back now in Johnson. We have a good back up in Wisdom and a fine prospect in Mclaughlin. So he isn't really needed at right back.

I also think all the running that Rodgers asks from the full backs is just going to increase the likelihood that he will get injured.

What we do need is a centre back. He is built like a centre back, it is the position he played coming through the youth teams.

I think it would make sense to start converting him to a centre back, for the good of the team and the good of Kelly keeping him fit more often.

• 3 years later...