You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boris Johnson

Section_31

7 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Adult literacy rates for the UK are somewhere in the region of one in five have struggles with comprehension and reading, whereas most developed nations, and a fair few developing nations, are well above that. 

Child achievement in schools we languish between 15-25th globally for achievement despite our spending power.

I've posted this quite a lot in the last couple of years since I started Uni, but other than seeing that the education system appears to be completely fucked at University level the other standout thing has been how far advanced the Asian students are compared to the English ones. The Chinese and Korean kids absolutely wipe the floor with the English ones. 

Education in this country is fucked. 

We'll be fine though I am sure, people can remember a load of capital cities off by heart, who needs problem solving skills? What the fuck use would they ever be?

At least the morons we produce will be good old fashioned English morons, none of those filthy foreign ones. 

5 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

I've posted this quite a lot in the last couple of years since I started Uni, but other than seeing that the education system appears to be completely fucked at University level the other standout thing has been how far advanced the Asian students are compared to the English ones. The Chinese and Korean kids absolutely wipe the floor with the English ones. 

We'll be fine though I am sure, people can remember a load of capital cities off by heart, who needs problem solving skills? What the fuck use would they ever be?

Gove's reforms are an absolute clusterfuck and the new insidious reforms Williamson is trying to implement are even more ridiculous and dangerous.

Remove Citizenship, promote nationalism and avoid critical thinking at all costs.

Exams are little more than knowledge recall up to A-Level.

The damage we'll see when this generation take the reins soon.

26 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Gove's reforms are an absolute clusterfuck and the new insidious reforms Williamson is trying to implement are even more ridiculous and dangerous.

Remove Citizenship, promote nationalism and avoid critical thinking at all costs.

Exams are little more than knowledge recall up to A-Level.

The damage we'll see when this generation take the reins soon.

I am very much on board with hating Gove, but I don't think this is solely on him, this is decades of the system being fucked.

The people doing the teaching are mostly a product of my era or a bit older, so we're talking people from 70's, 80's, 90's system. They are no better, we had a challenge thing last academic year to do a structure and ours beat all of the lecturer ones because we can do a type of optimisation which they can't. 

I'm being told by lecturers that what an other student and I did on an assignment which was 50% of a year 2 module is PhD level, yet we were worried that we hadn't gone into enough detail. Also at this juncture, I must point out, I am pretty damn far from being a genius*, we didn't do anything that I would say is actually all that fancy but it was something the people teaching the module said they couldn't do. 

The whole system needs an overhaul in my opinion, but how the hell you go about that and where you start I have no idea. Other than maybe doing something other than telling people they have to like Shakespeare or there is something wrong with them or trying to get people interested in a subject by making them remember a lot of dates or names off by heart?

We're heading into an era where even white collar, middle class type stable "good" jobs are going to start disappearing like lower level solicitor's, accountants etc. and there is no provision being made to counter that or produce people who are capable of doing something else. 

*My years of posts on here stand as testament to this.

20 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

I am very much on board with hating Gove, but I don't think this is solely on him, this is decades of the system being fucked.

The people doing the teaching are mostly a product of my era or a bit older, so we're talking people from 70's, 80's, 90's system. They are no better, we had a challenge thing last academic year to do a structure and ours beat all of the lecturer ones because we can do a type of optimisation which they can't. 

I'm being told by lecturers that what an other student and I did on an assignment which was 50% of a year 2 module is PhD level, yet we were worried that we hadn't gone into enough detail. Also at this juncture, I must point out, I am pretty damn far from being a genius*, we didn't do anything that I would say is actually all that fancy but it was something the people teaching the module said they couldn't do. 

The whole system needs an overhaul in my opinion, but how the hell you go about that and where you start I have no idea.

We're heading into an era where even more white collar, middle class type stable jobs are going to start disappearing like lower level solicitor's, accountants etc. and there is no provision being made to counter that or produce people who are capable of doing something else. 

*My years of posts on here stand as testament to this.

We don’t allow things like Gove’s retrograde reforms that’s where we start, I agree on the wider point though that this is a continuation of a theme.

Remember these start from nursery and run through A-Level, thats 14 years of education where you’re not being asked to think critically, or question properly, just prescriptive regurgitation. Williamson’s insidious ideas take this further where debate is actually stifled.

The first thing the tories do is cut funding to libraries  (public service cuts) and reform the education system when they get in to power, this isn’t by accident.

They had the opportunity to future proof the education system and wider economic prosperity by introducing more relevant skills and ideas, but they refused and in a decades time we’ll really feel the pinch from that as our kids aren’t prepared for the world they’ll walk in to.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Oh dear....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56915307

The watchdog has been in contact with the Conservative Party since March over the works at No 11 Downing Street.

But it has just announced it is "satisfied that there are reasonable grounds to suspect that an offence or offences may have occurred".

It's a bit shit for now though as he can just answer 'I'm not at liberty to comment due to the ongoing investigation'.

Bad timing for good news.

PMQ's is normally on the TV Guide for Sky News... It's not today. It is on BBC Parliament. Politics Live also not advertising that PMQ's is on. Wonder if they are trying to minimise the viewership the absolute fucking snakes 

3 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

the other standout thing has been how far advanced the Asian students are compared to the English ones. The Chinese and Korean kids absolutely wipe the floor with the English ones. 

It is not the "system" as it can be seen in America as well with kids coming up through the same setup - be fair and honest - those kids are more motivated and work harder.

4 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Adult literacy rates for the UK are somewhere in the region of one in five have struggles with comprehension and reading, whereas most developed nations, and a fair few developing nations, are well above that.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, given the moronic way we teach the alphabet in this country (Ah, Buh, Cuh, Duh etc). My parents taught me the names of the letters and I was reading fluently by the age of 3.

Just now, Bjornebye said:

He was very fucking angry. Looks like he has lied twice as well blatantly. The cunt is on his last legs. 

That question on the European Super League seemed strategically placed as well. I suspect we might hear more about his ‘answer’ at some point.

He’s definitely under pressure. I think he’ll ride it out though, he’s the PM of a nation full of fuckwits. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

PMQ's is normally on the TV Guide for Sky News... It's not today. It is on BBC Parliament. Politics Live also not advertising that PMQ's is on. Wonder if they are trying to minimise the viewership the absolute fucking snakes 

I'm not sure the viewing figures could get any lower than they are now. The only place you ever see PMs questions mentioned is a two-second clip on the news, political Twitter, or here.

36 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

PMQ’s. Fucking laughable. At least it would be, if it wasn’t so horrific.

Having the worst speaker I can remember doesn't help.

The useless twat should be pulling Johnson up on not answering the opposition's questions, but time and time again he let's him get away with it.

• Upvote 4

I'm no Starmer fan but he today he acted like the 'foresnsic' and 'incisive' legal high flyer he was lauded as by his Blairite fan boys. Johnson, as usual, behaved like the spoiled, brattish, probably arse raped at Eton, privileged, fat cunt that he's always been. The smug confidence of Starmer makes me think that he knows he's got Stan's jism mishap bang to rights. 

The Tory Party will be preparing Johnson's political death notice once the witnesses to his 'piles of bodies' rant go public. This could turn out to be a good year after all.

1 minute ago, torahboy said:

I'm no Starmer fan but he today he acted like the 'foresnsic' and 'incisive' legal high flyer he was lauded as by his Blairite fan boys. Johnson, as usual, behaved like the spoiled, brattish, probably arse raped at Eton, privileged, fat cunt that he's always been. The smug confidence of Starmer makes me think that he knows he's got Stan's jism mishap bang to rights. 

The Tory Party will be preparing Johnson's political death notice once the witnesses to his 'piles of bodies' rant go public. This could turn out to be a good year after all.

I quite liked Blackford just stopping short of calling him a cunt. 

Yeah, I’ve reflected. Not sure he will ride this out.

The questions, the way they were asked, the quiet contentment with the answers given, suggest they have more ammunition up their sleeves. 

He may even be gone before Cummings gets his moment in the sun. 

Having said all that, if anyone can survive this it’s probably him. The election results in May could help if they go well for his party. 

39 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I think they know they've got him.

Wouldn't suprise me if a recording, or a statement of somebody confirming it, is released soon.

To add Laura K is putting the boot in all over the BBC.

Aye, I watched it and I thought that the way Starmer worded that first question surely means he’s on tape saying it. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Aye, I watched it and I thought that the way Starmer worded that first question surely means he’s on tape saying it. 

They have people who are said to be prepared to go on the record under oath if needs be.

If one of the three sources has the balls, or there is a recording, Starmer has just hung him out to dry with no other option but to resign.

Good stuff.