You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

It was sold at 330p a share and is currently trading at 275.8p, rendering the claim that it was sold off for less than it was worth to be demonstrably false.

Did he sell it off this year? Or in Oct 2013 when it was trading at 580p a share and as high as 631 a share in the middle of 2018. It spent 5 full years significantly higher than the sale price. You can't wait for half a decade and then start crowing about how it was good that it was sold off at that price. Well, you can but it's pretty disingenuous to draw the conclusions you have. Class Stronts 'fact'. 

I'm no expert, but does the current share price of a company really reflect whether the price of shares in an IPO 6 years ago were over/undervalued at that time? 

A lot can happen in 6 years to effect a share price. If the share price exclusively dropped over that 6 year period, fair enough. But there's been periods when it also comfortably exceeded the current selling price. 

EDIT: Ah, Slippin Jimmy beat me to it. 

3 minutes ago, Slippin’ Jimmy said:

Did he sell it off this year? Or in Oct 2013 when it was trading at 580p a share and as high as 631 a share in the middle of 2018. It spent 5 full years significantly higher than the sale price. You can't wait for half a decade and then start crowing about how it was good that it was sold off at that price. Well, you can but it's pretty disingenuous to draw the conclusions you have. Class Stronts 'fact'. 

I think that's the point, isn't it? People were picking a fixed point in time and claiming it to be the definitive value of Royal Mail. I am just turning that 'logic' against the people who used it.

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

I'm not sure I follow your logic.

The claim, repeated often, has been that Vince Cable/the Lib Dems sold off Royal Mail for less than it was worth.

It was sold at 330p a share and is currently trading at 275.8p, rendering the claim that it was sold off for less than it was worth to be demonstrably false.

You seem to be making a different argument altogether. Which is fine, but it's clearly not the one I'm responding to.

It's the fact it was sold that you were responding to. Fuck the share price. Norrarsed about that. 

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

I think that's the point, isn't it? People were picking a fixed point in time and claiming it to be the definitive value of Royal Mail. I am just turning that 'logic' against the people who used it.

It felt like you were defending a bad decision by using the opposite of the tactic you used to slam Brown for his gold sell off. Both were poorly timed, and both by very clever economists. 

4 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

It's the fact it was sold that you were responding to. Fuck the share price. Norrarsed about that. 

Exactly. Numbers fluctuate, but the general point that it's a load of absolutely pointless nonsense still stands. 

A bit like the Lib Dems. 50 seats...8 seats... 12 seats. Still a load of pointless bollocks. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I'm no expert, but does the current share price of a company really reflect whether the price of shares in an IPO 6 years ago were over/undervalued at that time? 

A lot can happen in 6 years to effect a share price. If the share price exclusively dropped over that 6 year period, fair enough. But there's been periods when it also comfortably exceeded the current selling price. 

EDIT: Ah, Slippin Jimmy beat me to it. 

Do you want to buy my bitcoin? 

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

I'm not sure I follow your logic.

The claim, repeated often, has been that Vince Cable/the Lib Dems sold off Royal Mail for less than it was worth.

You seem to be making a different argument altogether. Which is fine, but it's clearly not the one I'm responding to.

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c6487813757352e59

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...