You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The case of using Downing as a Wing-back

WhiskeyJar

The case of using Downing as a Wing-back!  

80 members have voted

1. 1. The case of using Downing as a Wing-back!

• Might be worth it...
    • No way, he will be shit there too..
    • I really do not know what his position is...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could prove to be a stumbling block.

If I may state case counselor;

1. Downing operated pretty much as a winger with a natural crossing ability whilst at Aston Villa; he has never needed to learn how to move in a team that uses short passes to break down defences. Instead he always run in a straight line and crossed it; his style of attack.
  2. If he is operating as Wing Back, then he has to learn how to move with short passes and push up.
  3. Using his pace will be a problem for opposite wingers that need to pick him up; in that sense he will have to work with lets say Sterling to make the left side of attack more formidable, something that he never had to do before.

The only question is, does have the tactical mind to defend against attackers?

After what he's shown last season, and the earlier parts of this season, you have to say it is worth trying something different. We spent £20 million on him which was always too much, but we did think we'd got a lot more for our money than we have, so I see no harm in trying it out in a league cup game. People may argue that it will stunt robinsons growth, but I think that if downing is used as a wing back it would be in more of a three four three rather than a four three three, which means that we can gain more of an attacking threat from full back when chasing the game, and Robinson can still be used as back up to Enrique when needed

He`s staying, so you have to give it a go.If we are brutally truthful,how bad is he going to be?

Worse than already there?I think he`s on par.Look at he stagnation of Kelly-his head down running and crossing akin to shots are not anybody`s future.Least of all his, when Coates is played against the champions.Enrique gets dribble mania when outlets are proffered in his own half...........harakiri.

I`m sure that the manager knows when to ease him into this new position and when not.

Enriques a quality defender lets not forget, downing was not tested defensively.

Agreed 100%. But you would also have to say Enrique's crossing leaves a LOT to be desired, especially when compared to Downing, as it seems to be the one thing he can do well on a consistent basis. His lack of a league goal from last season was absolutely down to him, his lack of a league assist was most definitely not.

Major issue with this. He didn't have the courage to play in his natural position and a switch back could hamper the progress of Robinson. Why the fuck BR didn't include Downing in his comments about not being able to afford to keep multi-million pound players on the bench I can't fathom.

Major issue with this. He didn't have the courage to play in his natural position and a switch back could hamper the progress of Robinson. Why the fuck BR didn't include Downing in his comments about not being able to afford to keep multi-million pound players on the bench I can't fathom.

One name that describes this situation:

Insua...

He mentioned "a winger on 4-5 million". I assumed he was referring to Downing.