You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Skrtel/Pepe

WaltonRed

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most worrying thing about those two getting sold would be the impact on the "Rafa net spend" debate.

I could see those two going if we get offered £35m. It would let Rodgers sign Vorm and Caulker for about £15m, Sigurdsson for another £8m give him £12m for another signing and that way FSG don't have to spend any money on us for another transfer window

From the Daily Post:

MARTIN SKRTEL would be happy to turn down interest from Manchester City this summer - provided he gets assurances from new Reds boss Brendan Rodgers that Liverpool FC can match his own personal ambitions.

The Reds have not received an official bid yet for a man voted Player of the Season at Anfield, but Anfield officials are aware of City's interest.

The player's agent Karol Cstonto, however, said: "Some changes have been made at the club and he (Martin Skrtel) wants to know what the aims and ambitions are. And of course, we will discuss the issue of Martin's new contract.

"Liverpool is a big club and just because they haven't made the Champions League this year doesn't mean they would not do it next year.

"There are expectations on both sides, though."

Roberto Mancini is keen to bolster the champions' defensive options - with Stefan Savic struggling when called upon last term and AC Milan target Thiago Silva priced at £35m, a fee prohibitive even for City.

Liverpool would be loathe to lose the 27-year-old, but need an indication from Skrtel that he is prepared to commit himself to the club.

Skrtel has two years remaining on his present Anfield contract and was in no hurry to talk about an extension last season.

But that could change, provided Skrtel gets the assurances from manager Rodgers that he is seeking.

Read More Martin Skrtel: Liverpool FC need to show their ambition matches mine - Liverpool FC News - Liverpool FC - Sport - Liverpool Daily Post

Agent shit-stirring here is all.

As for the other bit in bold. City darlings, that is your price!

I'd prefer to keep Skrtel but if he goes I'm sure we can get a player of equal quality whilst making a profit. He's not world class, but he is very good.

As for Reina, as I've said for months, I would take any decent offer for him as IMO he is going backwards and his recent form (going back last season and part of previous) was shocking. His weakness on the near post and his Elvis impression on every 1 on 1 was truly shite.

Pretty much how I see it

Whilst I'm comfortably in the "if anyone wants out then get out but don't be a cunt about it so we get a good price" camp, I think we need major changes in the final third. I'd hate for us to have to make substantial changes at the other end, especially given that we've one of the league's better defences at the moment.

The most worrying thing about those two getting sold would be the impact on the "Rafa net spend" debate.

I could see those two going if we get offered £35m. It would let Rodgers sign Vorm and Caulker for about £15m, Sigurdsson for another £8m give him £12m for another signing and that way FSG don't have to spend any money on us for another transfer window

Yes, he was shit, wasn't he?

I wouldn't want to lose Skrtel at all. We'd not sign someone as good, therefore getting worse at the back. His injury prone partner should go if it was a raising funds for elsewhere thing.

As for Reina, it wouldn't be hard to find a keeper to improve on his form of the last three seasons. Late 20's now too, although that's not very old for a keeper. I've got little faith in him finding his long gone world class form again tbh.

*This transfer request stuff is a load of bull.

Why is it when speculating the only players were being linked with are just people Buck has worked with before? I know this is designed to give it more truth and to substantiate the story but c'mon its just lazy churnalism!!

Isn't there an agreement in place we cant sign any current Swansea players for 12 months?

Or is that agreement there to ensure we pay through the nose should we want any of them?

I wouldnt be that arsed about either going really to be honest.

Skrtel was great last year but previous to that he has been a liability for us at times. He is clumsy and gives away far too many free kicks in dangerous positions. He is by no means irreplacable. Certainly not on the evidence of one good season.

Pepe has been poor for a couple of seasons now. I would like to see him stay, but if he wants to go then get rid.

Anyone who doesn't want to be here should be shown the door.

I wouldn't want to lose Skrtel at all. We'd not sign someone as good, therefore getting worse at the back. His injury prone partner should go if it was a raising funds for elsewhere thing.

As for Reina, it wouldn't be hard to find a keeper to improve on his form of the last three seasons. Late 20's now too, although that's not very old for a keeper. I've got little faith in him finding his long gone world class form again tbh.

*This transfer request stuff is a load of bull.

Reina playing in a high defensive line formation will let in less goals than any other keeper next season - mark my words.....

Hopefully we have the sense to bring Valero back, he'll get Reina into top form once more and Rodgers will play a system that is designed for a sweeping keeper such as him....

Top top class, and with leadership ability he is a man we'll regret to loose...

We need to hold on to Skrtel as well, because if he goes I'm guessing Agger goes to, and we can forget about replacing those two in a hurry.....

We'd replace them with worse players so I'd quite like them to stay.

People like you were saying exactly the same type of thing when we sold Mascherano and Alonso, but we've gone from strength to strength. Don't you get tired of being wrong?

Firstly, only Man u/City conceded fewer goals last season, so selling our goalkeeper and first choice centre back creates problems, it does not solve them.

Rodgers will not have defensive frailty as his main problem, it will be addressing an atttack which was outscored by relegated Blackburn Rovers. On that basis Suarez and Carroll are more vulnerable.

Firstly, only Man u/City conceded fewer goals last season, so selling our goalkeeper and first choice centre back creates problems, it does not solve them.

We will not sell Agger, he has said he is more than happy to renew his contract.