You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Big brave racist lionheart John Terry

Lurtz

Im not sure the FA can punish Rio for this. So what he's a footballer saying it about another footballer, it didn't happen on a football pitch during a game under the FA's rule. Are the FA following footballers around their streets making sure they don't hold a ball in their hands so they can give them a yellow card?

Fair comment.

There is a catch all, "behaviour likley to bring the game into disrepute," but mindful of the fact that Joey Barton does that pretty much every time he walks out of the door it is unlikely.

Terms like 'choc ice' or 'coconut' are used to suggest the recipient is white on the inside. The implication is that although they themselves are black or brown-skinned, they think like a white person - the implication being that thinking like a white person is a negative thing. That in itself is discriminatory because it's a direct reference to a person's colour in a negative sense, and it would have people up in arms if the roles were reversed. In a way, it just continues the 'them' and 'us' theme that Dave mentioned earlier.

The issue with some people not seeing that such a term could be deemed offensive is that they are only looking at it from the perspective that the black/brown aspect is the positive. As long as the black/brown aspect is referred to in a positive sense, the likes of Ferdinand/Carlisle/Powar/Roberts will never question it. The last 3 in particular have shown that in their various comments over the past year.

Sorry mate but in the REAL world many people live that 'them and us' scenario every single day, maybe if there were more people like yourself voicing their opinions and living by example in time things maychange, as long as groups like the bnp/nf etc can raise enough public support to actually get themselves as far as by elections and national elections and the likes of, things arent going to change, as long as people are being openly abused mentally, verbally and physically in the streets, on football related websites, in schools etc things can only go in one direction, laws dont change peoples opinions education does..

When you've had to witness your mum come home and break down in tears because of occurances at work concerncing her skin colour, console your brothers and sisters who cant understand why they are being singled out and persecuted because of their skin colour, console your hysterical kids who come home crying after being abused or attacked because of their difference of hue, when youve been on the receiving end of a good old 'You black bastard'and your not a referee haha, then you will realise why this 'them and us' is still as prevalent today as it was 40 years ago when i was a bairn..

Sorry if I went all 'Martin Luther' on your asses there but this is something very close to my heart, i hope you can understand..

Just for the record, ferdinand wasnt the one who called cole a choc ice..

https://twitter.com/coolandbreezy/status/224122378639261696/photo/1

Society on the whole needs to change and if we all do our bit to enable that change then at least we can say we tried..

The explanation given by Rio Ferdinand was as subtle and embarrassing as his quotes involving films the other day while the trial was ongoing.

The term Choc Ice and its meaning is clear for any semi intelligent person to recognise.

The reason it is ok is because a black person made reference to it about another black person.

Roberts,Carlisle,Powar would be all over this like a rash if a white person had been in Ferdinands postion instead.

Ferdinand is using the term choc ice in reference to Cole's involvement in the trial for Terry using racist language. I'm sure that would be lost on him though.

I don't think the insult is racist, but it is incredibly insulting and nasty when used in this context. But Rio is taking the piss in arguing it is not about race, it clearly is and we all know what he is implying.

It is going to be very interesting what happens next because the whole system is in desperate need of an overhaul. Herman Oaxley may very well be the head of KIO, but he is also on the United board of trustees and therefore will gain should Terry be suspended for any length of time, now I am not suggesting this is his motivation, but there is clearly the possibility of a conflict of interests, the same goes for David Gill.

I think the FA have fucked up over this one, it is all very well having a lesser burden of proof, but not after a court of law has found in the players favour. My only thought is that the homogenous white male media tend to have one, simplistic narrative that they all adhere to in these instances.

However I do have one slither of sympathy for the FA and that is that in cases like this, it is always going to be very difficult to prove anything, it is essentially one man's word against the other, to me the focus should not be on addressing this as I don't think you can, but ensuring that the need to use racism in the first place is eradicated and this isn't the responsbility of the FA but societies in general. You don't have to use racist language to be a racist, i've met and know loads of dinner party racists.

As my Dad has just pointed out, if Anton Ferdinand can be brought upon a charge then why wasn't Evra?

I don't know, there is talk of charging Anton for abusive language but Evra admitted using abusive language and no action was taken! Seems a bit inconsistent to me.

I see. Won't happen, but from what I know of the rules either could be disciplined under FA rules. It's the FA though and they cherry-pick. If the public call is big enough then it's a goer. Why haven't they charged Terry yet? It's because they're waiting to see what everyone thinks should happen. They've had months to say whether they would charge him immediately after the court-case. Consistent they aint.

I'm a bit disappointed Rio has retweeted what he did. There is an issue there and it should receive a small ban, given the mad world of the FA, but my disappointment stems from the fact that this dims the focus from the Terry case.

I'd like the Terry case to receive greater scrutiny in the media. Garth Crooks said it was only half time. And one or two other journalists have mentioned the Suarez case, so hopefully there will be some national scrutiny on Terry. If it is down to Liverpool fans to fight the case for Terry to get some of the Suarez treatment from the FA, it will look tribal. But if the wider footballing community gets into this in more depth, then Terry will not come out of it well.

The choc-ice thing is a distraction. Terry should get the full treatment from the FA but I don't think he will now.

Here's the outcome I expect:

3 game bans for both Terry and Anton Ferdinand for foul and abusive language and/or bringing the game into disrepute, coupled with a warning from the FA about respect.

1 game ban for Rio Ferdinand and a wider warning from the FA to all players as to how they use social media.

This will have Terry fuming, Anton Ferdinand fuming, Rio Ferdinand fuming, Suarez fuming and Liverpool fans fuming.

Good days' work for the FA that...

Lee!!!

Help me out...

That us the Rocky V of the witches hat world.

Just whip up some good icecream put it in a cornet and stick a rocket in it.

Either that or wait for the icecream man to turn and buy both pieces

Anyway strawberry sauce and hundreds and thousands or chocolate sauce and nuts?

That us the Rocky V of the witches hat world.

Just whip up some good icecream put it in a cornet and stick a rocket in it.

Either that or wait for the icecream man to turn and buy both pieces

Anyway strawberry sauce and hundreds and thousands or chocolate sauce and nuts?

Oh yeah.

Im not sure the FA can punish Rio for this. So what he's a footballer saying it about another footballer, it didn't happen on a football pitch during a game under the FA's rule. Are the FA following footballers around their streets making sure they don't hold a ball in their hands so they can give them a yellow card?

And that witches hat rubbish, why would you want to try and eat that? Surely you'd just buy an ice cream and a lolly ice? How would you even go about trying to eat it?

The FA has taken action on Twitter statements in thevpast!

FA to investigate whether Rio Ferdinand's 'choc-ice' tweet has inflamed controversy over John Terry case.

The Football Association will launch an internal investigation today to decide whether Rio Ferdinand will face disciplinary action for reigniting the controversy created by John Terry’s court case on Twitter.

Ferdinand, the Manchester United defender, has been criticised for responding to a tweet which referred to Ashley Cole as a “choc ice”, and moved to defuse the row yesterday by denying he was being racist.

The 33 year-old came under scrutiny after appearing to endorse the remark about Cole, who appeared in court last week as a witness for the defence before Terry was subsequently found not guilty of racially abusing Ferdinand’s brother Anton.

Terry was cleared by District Judge Howard Riddle on Friday but the FA have revealed they are to reopen their own enquiry into the row, and are also set to make a decision in the next 48 hours over whether Ferdinand will receive any punishment.

Ferdinand, who was flying out to Durban today with the United squad for their pre-season tour, defended himself against allegations of racism by tweeting: “What I said yesterday is not a racist term. It’s a type of slang/term used by many for someone who is being fake. So there.”

The term ‘choc ice’ is widely understood to mean black on the outside, white on the inside and although Ferdinand has protested his innocence, this latest episode has only added to the fallout from Terry’s court case, already a hugely sensitive issue for the governing body.

FA officials will meet today and consider whether to take any action against Ferdinand, although his case has undoubtedly been assisted by the fact that Chelsea defender Cole issued a statement via his lawyers on Saturday insisting he would not be making any complaint.

Terry and Anton Ferdinand, the Queens Park Rangers defender, could still face charges of using abusive and insulting words on the pitch after the details of their verbal exchanges at Loftus Road were made public in court. The FA are expected to announce later this week whether any further action will be taken.

Lord Ouseley, the chairman of anti-racism body Kick It Out, has insisted clubs need to take responsibility in punishing the conduct of their own players.

He said: “We’ve got to look at those who commit these offences and deal with them thoroughly.

"I think if clubs themselves are taking a lead about what standard of behaviour they expect and what they won’t put up with, and if the football regulatory authority, the FA, does likewise in the way that it carries out its responsibilities with regards to conduct, then I think we can transform the game.

“The vast majority of people who play football may have prejudices, but they don’t necessarily go on the pitch to express them. We’ve got to look at those who commit these offences and deal with them thoroughly.”

Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong left himself open for criticism and potentially a reprimand from the FA on Sunday night after posting a potentially offensive tweet.

The 20 year-old is recovering from a knee injury sustained while on loan at Wolves.

After posting a message yesterday morning on his official Twitter account which read “if you going church today Pray For me Giving today A Miss”, the Arsenal midfielder retweeted a response from one Tottenham fan which read: “I prayed you break your arms and legs”, to which Frimpong added “Scum Yid”.

The post was swiftly removed by Frimpong. The FA is aware of the matter, but made no official comment on Sunday night.

FA to investigate whether Rio Ferdinand's 'choc-ice' tweet has inflamed controversy over John Terry case - Telegraph

I think it's the terminology that is getting everyone mixed up. It a problem with semantics. To clean things up, I think instead of calling people "white" and "black", I propose we start referring to people as "white" and "ethnically challenged".