You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Big brave racist lionheart John Terry

Redder Lurtz

"What he's been put through".........

All fair comment.

Terry was fortunate to be acquitted, but that’s the legal system for you. You win some you lose some.

For me Terry was, and is guilty of racial abuse. But I think that the FA will have an extraordinarily difficult time finding him guilty when a criminal court acquitted him of a similar charge.

On the face of it , he is as “guilty” as Suarez was, the FA find themselves in tricky territory. Which is why ongoing the rules need to be looked at again.

I believe that all cases of racial abuse which have a criminal dimension should be heard in a criminal court.

All fair comment.

Terry was fortunate to be acquitted, but that’s the legal system for you. You win some you lose some.

For me Terry was, and is guilty of racial abuse. But I think that the FA will have an extraordinarily difficult time finding him guilty when a criminal court acquitted him of a similar charge.

On the face of it , he is as “guilty” as Suarez was, the FA find themselves in tricky territory. Which is why ongoing the rules need to be looked at again.

I believe that all cases of racial abuse which have a criminal dimension should be heard in a criminal court.

The FA don't need the same burden of proof. You must be aware of that by now, so how do you conclude that the FA (who operate on a balance of probablity) will find it hard to find him guilty when a court (that operates on the much harder to prove beyond reasonable doubt) found him not guilty?

"Chelsea privately believe the FA have been pressurised into action over John Terry by Liverpool fans, who have bombarded the social network demanding that the Stamford Bridge star faces similar action to Luis Suarez...."

From The Express.

All fair comment.

Luis' case wasn't even felt to be strong enough to take to court by the CPS so I don't follow the logic, Xerxes.

"Chelsea privately believe the FA have been pressurised into action over John Terry by Liverpool fans, who have bombarded the social network demanding that the Stamford Bridge star faces similar action to Luis Suarez...."

From The Express.

BWAAAHAAAAHAAAHAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

Reds fans using their famous influence over the FA again!

Luis' case wasn't even felt to be strong enough to take to court by the CPS so I don't follow the logic, Xerxes.

Did the CPS ever consider the case? I don't remember hearing that they did. It wasn't reported to the police, so it didn't even hit their radar.

I think we would agree that a race "charge" which falls short of what would stand up in court is pretty dubious full stop.

That Evra chose not to pursue the FA conviction in a criminal court tells us a lot.

My point is that Terry's lawyers will claim that their man has been cleared of a racial charge in relation to that incident. On the one hand, from the evidence already given, it would appear that Terry is as "guilty" as Suarez is of a breach of FA regulations. So the FA may feel they have little choice. On the other, Terry's lawyers may argue that if the FA do find him guilty they are smearing him over something of which he has been cleared.

The FA are damned if they do, and damned if they dont, by their own rules, which all of us argued needed changing when the Suarez affair unfolded.

The FA don't need the same burden of proof. You must be aware of that by now, so how do you conclude that the FA (who operate on a balance of probablity) will find it hard to find him guilty when a court (that operates on the much harder to prove beyond reasonable doubt) found him not guilty?

This exposes the weakness of the FA's curreent rulebook, which we all advocated needed change when this blew up.

The problem is not that the rules as stated should ensure a guilty charge, it is that the rules themselves are a nonsense.

Terry's lawyers will claim that their man is being tried twice for the same offence. The FA will claim that it is a different charge- and the nonsense is there for all to see.

So the FA may feel they have little choice. On the other, Terry's lawyers may argue that if the FA do find him guilty they are smearing him over something of which he has been cleared.

He has been cleared as it wasn't proven beyond reasonable doubt in court. Being cleared on the balance of probability is hugely different. I am sure Terry's lawyers will be aware of that.

Fuck me.

The FA say you can't make reference to a person's skin colour...Terry did.

Terry was found not guilty in court because there was not enough evidence to prove it beyond resonable doubt. The FA's court works on the balance of probability. Everyone knows Terry intended to insult Ferdinand...you can't call someone "a fucking black cunt" in the middle of an argument without meaning to insult them.

The FA have to find him guilty, but they'll give him the smallest punishment possible.

It's a pity Ferdinand didn't say he'd been abused "at least 10 times". With one such blatant expamle caught on camera, they couldn't but believe him.

I had no idea the burden of proof was that great in this country, especially considering the miscarriages of justice we have had over the years. How the fuck were the Guildford 4 and the Birmingham 6 ever found guilty if all you need to be acquitted is the tiniest possibility that you were innocent? Because that’s all there was in the Terry case?

If the FA don’t give Terry the same 8 game ban as Suarez I hope the club plays merry hell with them over it. The craven, London-centric media certainly won’t.

Showed that image to one of the Manc fans in the office and he said "but obviously what Suarez said was way worse than Terry. Suarez was trying to wind Evra up. All Terry did was shout abuse!"

I had to walk away.

The FA has today charged Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand with improper conduct in relation to comments posted on Twitter.

The allegation is that the player acted in a way which was improper and/or bought the game into disrepute by making comments which included a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race.

Ferdinand has until 4pm on 2 August 2012 to respond to the charge.

Very similar charge to Suarez/Terry. Will be interesting.

theres no way Ferdinand will get an 8 game ban but his is the worst offence based on the evidence given

Suarez- no evidence whatsoever

Terry- claims to be sarcastic and got off in court

Ferdinand- was clearly posted on the internet and was clear racial abuse