You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam out for the season?

PaulMcC

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He most certainly does. Stats from The Premier League:

flg5j6.png

From your list.

His 6 assists:

Sunderland: Adam assist from free kick, Suarez header.

Bolton: Adam assist from a corner, Skrtel header.

QPR: Adam cross, Suarez header.

Wolves: Cross Adam, Carroll header and pass to Kuyt after a two one.

Chelsea: Adam pass to Johnson, Johnson does most of the job himself.

Non assists:

Man Utd: Gerrard direct free kick, Adam fouled.

Nescastle: Adam with a cross, rebound from defense, balls fall for Bellamy who scores.

Wolves: Own goal.

ManCity: Own goal.

ManUtd: Suares scores after Ferdinad cant control the ball, initial pass from Adam.

From your list.

His 6 assists:

Non assists:

Nescastle: Adam with a cross, rebound from defense, balls fall for Bellamy who scores.

ManUtd: Suares scores after Ferdinad cant control the ball, initial pass from Adam.

If a player is fouled and we score directly from the resulting free kick or penalty, he gets an assist. If he puts a cross in and it goes in off a defender, that's an assist. If his cross isn't dealt with by the defence or keeper and we score off the rebound, that's an assist.

All of those qualify as assists because the player's action is the proximate cause of us scoring the goal.

Sure, he's only got 6 assists if you want to use a faulty definition of "assist".

However, I think I'll stick with the FA Premier League's own definitions. Call me a stickler, but I think I'll consider them the ultimate arbiter of what happens in the FA Premier League.

If a player is fouled and we score directly from the resulting free kick or penalty, he gets an assist. If he puts a cross in and it goes in off a defender, that's an assist. If his cross isn't dealt with by the defence or keeper and we score off the rebound, that's an assist.

All of those qualify as assists because the player's action is the proximate cause of us scoring the goal.

Sure, he's only got 6 assists if you want to use a faulty definition of "assist".

However, I think I'll stick with the FA Premier League's own definitions. Call me a stickler, but I think I'll consider them the ultimate arbiter of what happens in the FA Premier League.

It really is not, but you can belive whatever you want for me, but please for the love of God never use it as some kind of parameter of Adam's abilities.

Is there a stat out there for fuck ups leading to a goal against? be it positional, slowness of body and mind, shit tackling, no tackling, crap attempted pass, falling in a heap?

There is, but different people credit the same mistakes to different players, depending on who their pet hate currently is.

I thought Adam started off decent enough. He's been shit ever since around xmas time, as has most of the team to be honest. He's not a player that's going to win us games when those around him are struggling, that much is clear.

I didn't expect any more from a £6m signing from a relegated blackpool team. I'm not sure why anyone did. He's a squad player that's been played far too much due to injuries to our best two central midfield players.

From your list.

His 6 assists:

Non assists:

I have no time for statistics on assists, they only mean something when it comes to fantasy football points.

Someone touching the ball last before another player scores is not necessarily someone creating a goal. Equally, a player could have 0 assists but still create more than someone who has 10. You can't measure someone dictating the tempo of a game or creating space, or playing a killer pass for a winger who subsequently passes to a striker.

It's a meaningless statistic as they don't begin to tell the whole story. Luka Modric had 2 league assists for Spurs last season yet take him out of their team and they look a totally different side.

I have no time for statistics on assists, they only mean something when it comes to fantasy football points.

Someone touching the ball last before another player scores is not necessarily someone creating a goal. Equally, a player could have 0 assists but still create more than someone who has 10. You can't measure someone dictating the tempo of a game or creating space, or playing a killer pass for a winger who subsequently passes to a striker.

It's a meaningless statistic as they don't begin to tell the whole story. Luka Modric had 2 league assists for Spurs last season yet take him out of their team and they look a totally different side.

I agree that stats for assists can be really flawed, thats why I like to look a bit behind them if I'm going to analyse anything from them.

Looking at Adams stats above, its pretty interesting that he has not made one through ball yet that we have scored directly from.

He could probably had 3 though if he was not so selfish.

It really is not, but you can belive whatever you want for me, but please for the love of God never use it as some kind of parameter of Adam's abilities.

Why would anyone?

Stats aren't qualitative, they are quantitative; a boiled down reflection of the impact a player has had on the games he has played in. Adam has 11 assists. As we can see fuller analysis puts it in a different context, hence why bare stats should only have limited influence over judgements.

I'd say the assists total shows that Adam has the will to get involved and make something happen in the final third but doesn't diminish the fact that he can leave us exposed in the other two. Nor does it diminish that he tries to do too much at times which also can leave us exposed.

he's an attacking midfielder. He scores goals (at least he did at blackpool) and he lays on assists. defensively he is very limited, he tackles like Paul scholes, has a good range of passing but probably the most disappointing thing from him this season (apart from the lack of goals) has been his delivery from set pieces.

Not just Adam either. how many games have we had 10+ corners and how many goals do we have from corners? I'd say the ratio is ridiculous. also how many goals have we scored from free kicks? 1? Gerrard v man u?

A decent player whom we haven't got the best out of, along with several others.

Please define "decent"

My definition may differ from yours.

In the context of his price, yes.

In the context of what I think a Liverpool playmaker should be, no.

It's tough for him, because he's been thrown in at the deep end and expected to play every week, and I think that is beyond him.

However, as an impact sub when we are dominating teams, then maybe.

I know what I've said sounds harsh, but I really want him to play well and carve himself a niche - I'm just not sure he can.

I wish him all the best though, and hope that reports of his injury have been exagerated.

I agree that stats for assists can be really flawed, thats why I like to look a bit behind them if I'm going to analyse anything from them.

Looking at Adams stats above, its pretty interesting that he has not made one through ball yet that we have scored directly from.

He could probably had 3 though if he was not so selfish.

Pretty decent ball for Carroll v wolves, and he was excellent and involved with both goals v Chelsea away, that and united home in league he was motm IMO, but he has gone off the boil since around the time lucas got injured,anyway hope he recovers soon as I wouldn't wish injury on any of our players

Please define "decent".My definition may differ from yours.In the context of his price, yes.In the context of what I think a Liverpool playmaker should be, no.It's tough for him, because he's been thrown in at the deep end and expected to play every week, and I think that is beyond him.However, as an impact sub when we are dominating teams, then maybe.I know what I've said sounds harsh, but I really want him to play well and carve himself a niche - I'm just not sure he can.I wish him all the best though, and hope that reports of his injury have been exagerated.

There has been a tendency to criticise recent purchases without acknowledging the sort of player that we are currently able to attract.

I think that Adam is a good passing attacking midfielder capable of scoring from midfield and laying on goals. I accept that he hasn’t dominated games. I think he is capable of doing better than he is, in a team formation that demonstrably is not working – we are not scoring enough goals.

Kenny comes from the Liverpool mindset of our golden era where the team was not dominated by stars, but be players who do their job. It is easy to see the job Adam supposed to do. It is less easy to see how the team is set up in front of him.

With Andy the Big Man, and no shortage of players capable of banging in a cross,(Adam, Enrique, Gerrard, Maxi, Downing , and Johnson ) we could play getting it out wide to cross for Andy to score, with Luis feeding of the scraps, but choose not to. Luis is no lone striker, nor is the midfield able to swarm forward as a five. It is confused, and Adam is part of that confusion, which is not his fault.

Adam is good enough to play in a EL challenging side. As a club we are no longer able to shop at the Alonso/ Masch top table, that frustration should not be taken out on Adam, Henderson and Downing et al.

As a club we are no longer able to shop at the Alonso/ Masch top table, that frustration should not be taken out on Adam, Henderson and Downing et al.

How true is this though? Take the example of Alonso, he was £9m, and signed from Real Sociedad. He wasn't really part of the "top table" when we got him, clearly he is now.

I think it highlights the fact far more value can be found abroad. Whenever anyone makes the argument (I'm not saying you necessarily are) that players like Adam and Downing are the only ones we could get, then goes on to mock everyone for obviously wanting us to sign Messi and Iniesta instead, its seems incredible that everyone inbetween is ignored.

Prick.

Why is he a prick, I don't want Adam hanging around. For what we aim for Adam is a burden, he doesn't belong. I rather get rid and play someone from our youngsters in his place. Can't be worse and Fatso Adam won't stand in the way of good youth development. He is useless anyway, so what's the point?