You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool FC: Mark Lawrenson insists he did not deliberately pose with The S**

Former Liverpool FC defender Mark Lawrenson insists he did not deliberately pose with The S** newspaper for the BBC and says he wouldn't have gone near a copy if he'd have known.

While filming for Football Focus, Lawrenson was photographed holding a copy of Saturday's edition of the paper, reviled on Merseyside because of its coverage of the Hillsborough disaster in 1989, and the picture was published by Match of the Day's Twitter account – although the tweet now appears to have been deleted.

The front page headline of The S** carried the headline 'Deal... or no deal?' referring to the political situation with Prime Minister David Cameron and the EU but it is understood that the BBC were trying to make a joke over whether the headline might have been mistaken for a story about Manchester United possibly appointing Jose Mourinho as their next manager.

Lawrenson, 58, who played for Liverpool between 1981-88, and still lives on Merseyside maintains that he is well aware of the sensitivities of being associated with The S** newspaper following the publication's reporting of Hillsborough and says he would never knowingly have picked up a copy to make light of the situation.

He told the ECHO: “I didn't even realise it was The S**. They wanted to show the back page because it related to Jose [Mourinho] and I got given the paper as soon as Dan [Walker] was asking me a question.

“If I'd have known it was The S** I wouldn't have done it. I held it up to show the headline and it was too late to take it down.

“I would not knowingly pose with a copy of The S**. There was just me and Jermaine Jenas there and they handed it to me to show me the headline on the back and the front.

“There was no way I knew it was The S** until it was too late, else I wouldn't have gone near it.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-mark-lawrenson-insists-10922066

I think the word you're struggling to find you old twat  is 'sorry'

See him all the time around Southport and Birkdale and he is a horrible indervidual. He won't drink in The Vincent because it's too expensive but comes in our local and looks down on us like plebs.

Said it before but I saw him giving a load of abuse to traffic wardens in Birkdale just going about their job. Then he fell off his push bike when putting it on the side of the bank as his coat got caught underneath it. Was absolutely hilarious, l'd usually go over and make sure the person is ok, not him though he's horrid.

That story from the Echo is absolute nonsense, I work with a load of Bitters and Mancs who buy it on a daily basis and I've never touched it in ten years and when they ask if I've "seen this" the first thing I do it look at the paper.

He's fucked up and is back peddling now. You'd think they'd have learnt by now. It begs the question why the BBC would welt him up like that too. I dislike them too the Tory sympathizers.

• Upvote 1

His groveling apology is fucking cringeworthy

Instead of "sorry it was thoughtless of me " we get "I didn't notice it was the S*n"

I've defended his useless punditry in the past on account of him being a great player for us but he can fuck right off now. Fuck off and take up gardening