You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torrents - where now

greenoak

The trouble with TOR is that it's seen as very naughty and was recently massively compromised by the US....

It's a bit like the more you try to hide your activity, the more likely you are to be very dodgy (and so they monitor it more!).

You can't win.

Also, for the benefit of those not really in the know.... anonymising proxies rarely are. Handy to get past some primitive ISP filter, but they can usually still show you've been visiting dodgy sites (half the lousy web proxies even SHOW the site you're trying to view in the URL!!)

I think most of rely / hope that there's 1000 people doing worse things, so we're under the radar. Risky strategy though.... esp if a big corporation decides they want to go back 2 years and get the names and address of anybody who downloaded their movie. Worse still, they then demonstrate that you SHARED all or part of their copyrighted material with 500 others.

For those looking for TV Stuff in particular  divxcentral is (so I hear) fairly decent.

Just to help a few:

1) If you use a web proxy (like come.in), it's really just getting past the very primitive 'block' that your ISP has put on some websites. Your activity is still logged.

2) If there's any investigation, they'll be able to show you went there, and usually want sites you viewed 'through' the proxy.

3) One you start torrenting, you're well and truly logged by the ISP. Plus, many companies hire firms to act as a peer (someone else who is sharing a movie). The moment you 'torrent' with them, your IP is logged and you're on a potential hit list.

4) You can use something called a VPN (virtual private network) that will encrypt literally everything you do on the net. It will basically connect to some network in another place (say America) and look like you're truly in America. However, you usually have to pay for such services (if you want decent speed) and the authorities can still find out who you are if they need to... it's generally a reasonably way of getting past most ISP monitoring, but it's not a 100% guarantee of your safety. Moreover, some ISP's can still detect what you're doing, even if they don't know the precise details - i.e. gaming / torrenting etc. This is done through some clever analysis of the encrypted traffic that give strong clues (deep packet analysis).

5) The only really safe way to be 100% anonymous is to buy a secondhand wifi device (laptop / mobile) with cash, from a stranger and use it ONLY for dodgy stuff. NEVER EVER for anything else... no email, no instant messaging etc. and NEVER use it at home - only use it on a free wifi (with some fake account you set up from somewhere other than home!).

This is so that the MAC address in that WIFI device is never traceable to your home, and that wherever you did your dodgy torrenting will have no log of you accessing your email whilst doing dodgy things (thus revealing your identity).

The only logs that will then exist are:   Some device with a specific MAC address downloaded some stuff. Any search for where that MAC addresses was ever used will never show up at your home, and no activity via that MAC address ever revealed personal info. Ideally, you'd never even KEEP that device in your home.

Alternatively, just buy the DVD and save the hassle!

Or just spoof your mac address and have a unsecured guest wireless network.

That defence has been used with success in the Scandinavian courts.

Other than that its all really much of a muchness, if someone wants to find you they will.

Stay off TOR though, it reeks of unpleasantness.

• Upvote 1

Sadly not everyone can spoof their MAC. But I agree.

In the end, they'll find you if they really want to. It's going to be hard to explain how someone used your open wifi but 500 movies ended up on your home system though ;-)

Or that you've got 3 GB of Iron Maiden stuff on your hard drive, and just happen to sport an Iron Maiden tattoo. Not sure I'd fancy my chances

The trouble with TOR is that it's seen as very naughty and was recently massively compromised by the US....

Tor wasn't compromised, a bug in firefox was exploited which allowed TOR to be bypassed. TOR is still the platform of choice if you plan on setting up a $500m/yr heroin trading platform.

As always, human, social and economic faux pas will be your pitfall.

Tor wasn't compromised, a bug in firefox was exploited which allowed TOR to be bypassed. TOR is still the platform of choice if you plan on setting up a $500m/yr heroin trading platform.

As always, human, social and economic faux pas will be your pitfall.

It was compromised... in the simplest way possible...

Since you don't know who else in in the TOR network, authorities simply became part of it! and if the NSA happened to be 50% of the 'ring' an awful lot of supposedly distributed comms went through one entity.... thus making it far less distributed ....

Since you don't know who else in in the TOR network, authorities simply became part of it! and if the NSA happened to be 50% of the 'ring' an awful lot of supposedly distributed comms went through one entity.... thus making it far less distributed ....

They didn't compromise the basic principle of TOR, they essentially used brute force by becoming a large number of nodes.... which gave them enough data to be able to work out who some user where. Whilst it's not 'cracking' something... it's still compromising it.

But still encrypted. And if you value your data encrypted with TLS atop TOR.

The federal authorities don't setup fake murder for hires and leave 100s of drug dealers and money launderers walking the streets if they have unencumbered access to TOR. Which they don't.

They claim (well their surrogates do) that they were able to triangulate silk road based on fake nodes. But that would require they were 75% of the TOR network. Bullshit. More likely the murder for hire retard had the hidden IP written on the back of a fag packet.

And this is all about hidden services anyway. Which is nothing at all like torrenting.

Let the NSA add nodes for shuffling around my encrypted data. I'll personally thank them for making it move around that little bit faster.

They didn't compromise the basic principle of TOR, they essentially used brute force by becoming a large number of nodes.... which gave them enough data to be able to work out who some user where. Whilst it's not 'cracking' something... it's still compromising it.

I think you are confusing two different attacks. The theoretical attack that unveiled Silk Road and the one which leveraged the Firefox bug that revealed IDs.

Just to help a few:

4) You can use something called a VPN (virtual private network) that will encrypt literally everything you do on the net. It will basically connect to some network in another place (say America) and look like you're truly in America. However, you usually have to pay for such services (if you want decent speed) and the authorities can still find out who you are if they need to... it's generally a reasonably way of getting past most ISP monitoring, but it's not a 100% guarantee of your safety. Moreover, some ISP's can still detect what you're doing, even if they don't know the precise details - i.e. gaming / torrenting etc. This is done through some clever analysis of the encrypted traffic that give strong clues (deep packet analysis).

Me thinks you haven't got a fucking clue. At least google "deep packet analysis" to find out what that means before you start spreading fud. You remind me of xerxes.

Tor wasn't compromised, a bug in firefox was exploited which allowed TOR to be bypassed. TOR is still the platform of choice if you plan on setting up a $500m/yr heroin trading platform.As always, human, social and economic faux pas will be your pitfall.

Exactly. It was a limited case (if one could call it that), which had nothing whatsoever to do with the tor network itself and everything to do with a particular version of firefox (the one used in the torbundle). The exploit itself was fixed pretty sharpish in later firefox versions.

I wish you could do a bit of research before posting such nonsense. I mean, really, get a fucking grip man.

Do you have any evidence you'd like to post, particularly for the bit I highlighted above or is this more wild speculation on your part?

There were large number of nodes on the tor network registered in a short space of time a while ago and the cause of this was found to be a large botnet C&C (control & command centre). That's old news and had nothing to do with NSA compromising the tor network. Yet more bullshit from you.

I think you are confusing two different attacks. The theoretical attack that unveiled Silk Road and the one which leveraged the Firefox bug that revealed IDs.

The downfall of Silk Road was caused by the ineptitude of his owner, nothing more, nothing less - he himself provided the authorities with all the evidence they needed to get him. The tor network didn't contribute to his downfall - he did.

As for the subject of this thread - I'd advice those seeking solitude and privacy to try ipredator. If you can't afford 5 euros/month, then there is a free alternative called SecurityKISS (google it and you'll find out).

Deep packet analysis (or inspection) isn't just about trying to inspect the content of packets, it's also about the behaviour of packets / traffic. The analysis of that CAN and IS used to predict possible or probable usage.

You're thinking purely of inspection, and not behavioural analysis. Whic is precisely why I made the point that they can SUSPECT your usage.

VPN traffic during browsing is distinctly different than during streaming or gaming. Even if they can't be certain you're streaming, they can still opt to limit your bandwidth (and they do), or mark you for further investigation (even through a VPN).

Any packet switched network will and does open itself up this way.... nobody (certainly not me) said encrypted traffic could be read with any ease (depending on level of encryption)

As for the TLS comment.... TLS has a multiple choices of negotiated encryption / cipher (one of which is actually 'null'). TLS offers little implicit security at all. The negotiated encryption / cipher does that. The chosen / negotiated cipher is distinctly different from the authentication aspect of TLS. So basically 'I'm using TLS' doesn't mean a great deal unless you're aware of what cipher's being used.

The authentication process isn't entirely safe either, but this requires some serious sway with a CA (something the likes the NSA could achieve in theory).

But all this is by the by.... the purpose of the post was to make people aware that simple web proxies and torrent proxies aren't really protecting you from detection. THAT was the basic premise of trying to help people.

It's not about protecting yourself from every possible means of detection, it's about not being low hanging fruit. The ISPs will comply with a court order reluctantly, but it is not part of their business model to spend money detecting what individuals are doing unless they are ordered to.