You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Didi to Bayern? Hargreaves to LFC? Smicer to Oblivion?

One year left on his contract and no new one in the pipeline, could we use Hamman's desire to join Bayern as a way to get Owen Hargreaves on the cheap?

I'd be disappoointed to see him go, I think he's done a lot for the club and rarely gets the credit he deserves. Im a big fan of Hargreaves though and I'd love to see him at Anfield.

Also, saw Vladi on Eurosport being interviewed and he was saying that he wants to stay at the club, but personally I'd have him on a list with names like Heskey, Traore, Biscan et al! Anyone think he's worth keeping?

If someone like VDV,Aimar or Malbranque is coming in then there's no room for Vladi and we should sell.But I don't see much point in selling him just to raise £1.5m as he's still capable of doing a good job from the bench or in certain types of games.Our best football last season was when he was playing in a fluid midfield in the early games.

I'd like to think we can do better than Hargreaves but if not I wouldn't say no.

Every time I've seen Hargreaves play he's been fucking dog shit. Admittedly that's only been on about 10 or 12 occasions but zero decent performances out of 10 ir 12 doesn't bode well with me.

My conclusion? Shite. Not good enogh for LFC. Clearly a decent player, he's an international after all... (but then so is Emile Heskey!) but no way near enough to impact our 1st time.

So Tom, how does he get in the Bayern Munich 1st team every game? He can't be that bad! I've been quite impressed when I've seen him for England. You don't get to see that much but he's got a good touch, good fight, can take pretty tasty free kicks and can pass a ball ncely too. If he was at the club, he'd be my 2nd choice central midfielder after Stevie. Add to that, he's young and English, so I think he'd be a great addition to the squad.

So Tom, how does he get in the Bayern Munich 1st team every game? He can't be that bad! I've been quite impressed when I've seen him for England. You don't get to see that much but he's got a good touch, good fight, can take pretty tasty free kicks and can pass a ball ncely too. If he was at the club, he'd be my 2nd choice central midfielder after Stevie. Add to that, he's young and English, so I think he'd be a great addition to the squad.

I know what you're saying. And if what you say is all true then it only enforces my belief that we don't need him.

We need players who can actually compete with likes of Steven Gerrard for a place. Players of that calibre certainly aren't players like Owen hargreaves.

We could just as easily put John Welsh on the bench every game rather than Hargreaves. Cheaper and will probably better than him very shortly as well.

I know what you're saying. And if what you say is all true then it only enforces my belief that we don't need him.

We need players who can actually compete with likes of Steven Gerrard for a place. Players of that calibre certainly aren't players like Owen hargreaves.

We could just as easily put John Welsh on the bench every game rather than Hargreaves. Cheaper and will probably better than him very shortly as well.

btw, which England games have you been impressed by him in? Everyone I know who follows England say that they haven't been impressed by him at all for England.

I reckon Hargreaves is underrated. True, he doesn't set games alight for England, but that's not really his job. He does the Didi Hamann job, quiet and effective work winning the ball and giving it someone else. Thing is, at this point I'd say he has more to his game than Hamann and would therefore be a decent signing for us. He's quick, reasonably skilful for a defensive midfielder, and already knows the likes of Gerrard, Owen and Carra from the England set up.

I'd take Baraja before him, but only because Baraja is already genuine world class.

This Hargreaves debate is going round in circles..... He is a decent player, but not one who is guarenteed to strengthen the team, and that is the sort of player we need....

Al least the calibre of player that we are getting linked to is improving... I remember that a few weeks ago we were "on the verge" of signing Joey Barton!!!!!!!!! Transfer speculation is guess work at the moment... I don;t think that there will be much credible speculation until Benitez had been confirmed....... The kind of players we should be after should be playing in Euro 2004 so nothing will be done until Mid-July in my opinion....

Re-Smicer.... I like Vlad, and I think he has been unlucky because he has been mainly used as a wide midfielder, which he is not. When he played in his natural role this season he was one of our best performers..... I think he will have a good European championships, and think he should be given a new 2-year contract... I think he still has something to offer, and as aws said, to sell him for around £1.5 million probably would not be worth it......

Derek McGovern (a Red btw) on Owen Hargreaves in today's Mirror:

Owen Hargreaves...why? What has he ever done in an England shirt to make him worthy of a place in Euro 2004?

Even in a poor Bayern Munich side he's not done one thing newspapers in England thought worthy of mention.

How can he go to Portugal and Scott Parker not? Baffled Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy must be tearing his scalp out.

I swear when I first saw his name on an England team sheet I thought he was a Jim'll Fix It winner. I still do.

btw, which England games have you been impressed by him in? Everyone I know who follows England say that they haven't been impressed by him at all for England.

I wouldn't say he's set the place on fire but at the same time I don't think he's had a bad game for England. Admittedly, he wouldn't get in before Gerrard in the Liverpool team but he give him a season playing along side Stevie and I think we'd have a little gem on our hands. He does the Didi job, and because of Didi we could get him for bugger all....and he's young...seems like a good deal to me.

Someone said that the English press hasn't felt he's done anything worthy of a mention. Well when exactly does German football get a mention? I wouldn't read it if it did!

Yes, there are better players than him I'm sure, Baraja's getting a lot of mentions but I know nothing about him. I'll take your word for it that he's a good player. We need to strengthen in midfield and I think Hargreaves would do just that.

I've lost track...... what is Smicers natural role again? Seems to me that his natural style of football involves wandering around the pitch at walking speed, standing still with his hands on his hips when he loses the ball, having a poor first touch and not scoring goals!!

I realised the other day that we probably won't get Aimar. As if Valencia would sell him to us after we've taken their coach. We might as well kick them in the nuts as well.

I was impressed with Hargreaves just before England went to the WC in 2002, but since then I haven't seen too much of him. To say he must be good just because he plays for Bayern is scraping the barrel somewhat considering they have been really poor recently.

I think he has a lot of potential but as others have pointed out, we need to be bringing in top class players, not squad players.

Doesn't look like it at the moment, you're right about that.

If they get through the group, the Swedes may spring a surprise or two. But I suppose that can be said about a lot of sides. Croatia totally outplayed Denmark for 45 minutes on Saturday. If I was English, I wouldn't feel too sure.

Doesn't look like it at the moment, you're right about that.

If they get through the group, the Swedes may spring a surprise or two. But I suppose that can be said about a lot of sides. Croatia totally outplayed Denmark for 45 minutes on Saturday. If I was English, I wouldn't feel too sure.

I´am not sure about Sweden though. It looks to good and I´am afraid it´s Italia 90 all over again. Two victories in the last games, Larsson back and the press are raving about Ibrahimovics golden boots....We always play best when we are the underdogs and we can´t cope with beeing the favorites. Thats why we haven´t lost to England since 68.....

I know, but England are such an overrated side. Anyone can beat them. I mean, we did it at Old Trafford only 7-8 months ago with half the side missing.

Hermes, are you up for a little wager on who fares better in Portugal - England or Denmark? A couple of pints sound ok?