You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dunkan Jenkins on Twitter

Lurtz

No, the reason this palaver (note spelling) begun is because Chang used threatening behaviour towards a Liverpool fan

Wrong.

If Chang didn't think DJ had a mole, he wouldn't have approached him and made his alleged threats. The fiasco we are now all privy to is an offshoot of that.

Sorry, Code, it's not an assumption, it's a fact!

So you are saying your sister is a clown prostitute? Is she sad when there is no circus in town?

I'll stop now, but why do you continue to assume things when people who obviously know tell you that you are wrong?

Despite the scandal that would ensue? And knowing that you cannot prove it?

To what extent do you consider it is in the best interests?

As I said earlier, I imagine Chang was looking after Liverpool's interests, or at least he thought he was. We have been walked over lately by any body who wants to have a dig, now we have someone who apparently gets tough and people say he is out of order!

I am talking as if DJ's version of events is true, and Chang did threaten him. If so, then so what! A supposed fan has created a scandal because he refused to do what he promised, he was fully aware of what would happen if he went public with this, and yet he did it!

If people want to take the moral high ground and say Chang was out of order then so be it...but I would rather have Chang's behaviour, i.e. trying to look out for the club over a fan who feels that it is okay to make the club look bad. And look bad because his imaginary twitter character could not admit he was lying about his 'scoops'!

Yes, despite the "scandal" that would ensue and yes knowing that I could not prove it. I would still give people my side of the story and let them make their own minds up.

I consider it in the best interests of the club to expose our "director of communications" or whatever the fuck he is as a hapless clown that has been promoted way beyond his abilities. Or would you rather tell no-one and let someone like that carry on taking a wage from the club? In fact don't bother answering, I can guess already.

Like i explained if as it seems Chang though Duncan Jenkins had a mole then there is a correct method of finding out.

Going in heavy handed with threatening behaviour is not one of them.

I would expect anything Liverpool FC do to be done in a professional manner.

The way Chang has acted is not that which is befitting of a Liverpool FC employee.

As soon as Chang found out that it was a joke account he should have laughed it off, instead he went in guns blazing. sadly people have bought into this idea that he is incapable of error. I admit it is a crazy thing for DoC to do but then at LFC we seem to have an inability to appoint decent people in the right positions.

The clubs excuses are pathetic, trying to now say that they did not know he was a fan yet threatening to take away his season ticket? Clearly there is more truth in DJ's story, the fact there has been no lawsuit or any kind of clear response from the club. The way some of our fans have reacted to this is equally disgusting, it doesn't help when there are certain people trying to cosy up to Chang and fight his corner and giving fans the bum steer on the issue at hand.

This is important, it is one of our own being threatened by people in our club. The fact that they said recently that they did not know he was one of ours means they thing it is ok to attack other clubs fans. We are becoming a joke of a club behind the scenes and that is very worrying. That is why it is important, not just because this guy and his family was threatened but the fact that our club has once again not acted in a way that they should be, either morally or professionally. And that is very disappointing.

I consider it in the best interests of the club to expose our "director of communications" or whatever the fuck he is as a hapless clown that has been promoted way beyond his abilities.

Outside of this business, what do you know of Chang? Why do you say he is hapless and been promoted beyond his abilities?

I know nothing of the guy, really. A lot of people here - you obviously included - don't seem to like him. Why? What's his background?

So you give in to bullies then.

Sorry i don't, never have and never will give in to them and i would advise anyone to always stand your ground.

Why accept being bullied just because the person who is doing it is employed by the club you support.

Personally i don't want someone employed by Liverpool who is a bully, whether it is someone who works in the club shop or someone at boardroom level.

I personally advised Sean to stand up to Chang and i would advise him again to do the exact same thing.

You should never let anyone walk over you in life, something i was taught from an early age and its something i passed on to my child.

I have never been in a situation where I have been bullied, so in all fairness I cannot answer that properly.

It is okay saying never give in to bullies, but each situation requires a different approach I would I imagine...

I can see you are quite an intelligent bloke, you make sound comment and obviously know more about this than I do. However, you can see my point here...from the outside looking in, Sean could have prevented all of this, it was he who blogged about it and the ensuing flak that is directed at the club is solely down to him.

I don't buy the whole it is directed at Chang at not the club stuff, you and i both know that it is Liverpool Football Club that is taking the hit for this, and it was started by one of our own. It could have been prevented. I am not excusing Chang's behaviour if he did indeed threaten Sean, but I think too much is being made of it. We have the usual divide, people think it is an excuse to attack the owners but we had Cotton in Chang's position last year and that didn't work out too well did it? Now we have someone sticking up for the club and he gets volleyed all over the place mainly imo cos of his association with FSG.

As for your always fight bullies comment, fine. But every situation requires a different response. I am sure it would not take me long to find examples of people standing up to bullies who have lost out due to that approach, be that getting kicked to death on a tube in London or hanging themselves cos it didn't actually work out for the good! A bit extreme I admit, but it doesn't always pay off to stand up, it's a bit more complex than just saying, 'fuck you, I am standing up for myself'! You know this.

but why do you continue to assume things when people who obviously know tell you that you are wrong?

You're full of shit, Code. Any discussion where you can't fall back on stats, you are patently out of your depth. And even when you rely on stats, you're usually being shat upon from a great height in some discussion or other.

Outside of this business, what do you know of Chang? Why do you say he is hapless and been promoted beyond his abilities?

I know nothing of the guy, really. A lot of people here - you obviously included - don't seem to like him. Why? What's his background?

He wrote blogs and managed freelancers in a footballing backwater. How does that qualify you as the PR principal for an organization like LFC?

Jen Chang

Senior Editor, SI.com at Sports Illustrated

Greater New York City Area Online Media

Current

Senior Editor, SI.com at Sports Illustrated

Past

U.S. Soccer Editor for ESPN.com at ESPN

Studio Production Research at ESPN

Associate at American Capital Strategies

Education

University of Cambridge

London School of Economics and Political Science

Queen Mary, U. of London

Experience

Senior Editor, SI.com

Sports Illustrated

Public Company; 10,001+ employees; TWX; Publishing industry

March 2010 – Present (2 years 3 months) New York

• Head of editorial for soccer at SI.com.

U.S. Soccer Editor for ESPN.com

ESPN

Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; DIS; Broadcast Media industry

November 2004 – March 2010 (5 years 5 months) Bristol, CT

• Headed editorial for the U.S. soccer section on ESPN.com. In charge of determining day-to-day content and strategic direction of section.

• Managed, edited and assigned work to stable of freelance and staff writers. Regularly wrote blog/op-ed columns on the site.

Studio Production Research

ESPN

Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; DIS; Broadcast Media industry

January 2004 – October 2004 (10 months) Bristol, CT

• Performed research for ESPNEWS and SportsCenter. Created show/stat graphics and story ideas. 2004 Sports Emmy award winner.

Associate

American Capital Strategies

September 1999 – August 2001 (2 years) New York

• Headed deal origination for the New York office of an $800 million leveraged buyout and mezzanine financing firm.

• Responsible for identifying, qualifying and sourcing deals accounting for 51% ($117 million) of the firm’s total new investments between '99-01.

Associate

Goldman Sachs

Public Company; 10,001+ employees; GS; Investment Banking industry

September 1997 – August 1999 (2 years) New York

Analyst

SBC Warburg

Public Company; 10,001+ employees; Investment Banking industry

1995 – 1997 (2 years) London, United Kingdom

The internet battle nobody wants to see:

Major Tom vs Code.

Fucking hell, the horror, the horror. Still, the tags are funny.

You're in the same whining, moaning bracket as he is. Not happy unless you are putting the boot into someone at the club.

Cringeworthy dickheads, both.

He wrote blogs and managed freelancers in a footballing backwater. How does that qualify you as the PR principal for an organization like LFC?

Maybe it doesn't, I have no idea.

I do know that former editors of national newspapers went on to do PR for the gov't, so journalism and PR must work hand in hand in some capacity.

Saying that, I am not making a case for Chang. I simply know fuck all about him and wondered where the antipathy comes from among a portion of our fans

Maybe it doesn't, I have no idea.

I do know that former editors of national newspapers went on to do PR for the gov't, so journalism and PR must work hand in hand in some capacity.

Which is of course in no way similar to importing some guy from a marginal publication in a different country.

Saying that, I am not making a case for Chang. I simply know fuck all about him and wondered where the antipathy comes from among a portion of our fans

And so now you know. Seems well justified to me.

...but the fact that our club has once again not acted in a way that they should be, either morally or professionally. And that is very disappointing.

Our owners are fronted by a futures and forex trader dude. Morals do not count there much, professionalism counts less, money talks.

Anyway, what a weird situation. We could use some football matches and wins right now.

I have never been in a situation where I have been bullied, so in all fairness I cannot answer that properly.

It is okay saying never give in to bullies, but each situation requires a different approach I would I imagine...

I can see you are quite an intelligent bloke, you make sound comment and obviously know more about this than I do. However, you can see my point here...from the outside looking in, Sean could have prevented all of this, it was he who blogged about it and the ensuing flak that is directed at the club is solely down to him.

I don't buy the whole it is directed at Chang at not the club stuff, you and i both know that it is Liverpool Football Club that is taking the hit for this, and it was started by one of our own. It could have been prevented. I am not excusing Chang's behaviour if he did indeed threaten Sean, but I think too much is being made of it. We have the usual divide, people think it is an excuse to attack the owners but we had Cotton in Chang's position last year and that didn't work out too well did it? Now we have someone sticking up for the club and he gets volleyed all over the place mainly imo cos of his association with FSG.

As for your always fight bullies comment, fine. But every situation requires a different response. I am sure it would not take me long to find examples of people standing up to bullies who have lost out due to that approach, be that getting kicked to death on a tube in London or hanging themselves cos it didn't actually work out for the good! A bit extreme I admit, but it doesn't always pay off to stand up, it's a bit more complex than just saying, 'fuck you, I am standing up for myself'! You know this.

The whole incident could have been and should have been kept behind closed doors and no-one needed to know.

Duncan Jenkins approached Chang for an apology but one wasn't forthcoming.

He then approached the club and once again nothing was forthcoming.

All this was done in the weeks following the incident and was kept out of the public eye.

Had Chang apologised and said he was sorry the incident turned out like it did and he regretted the course of action he took then that would have been it, nothing more said.

The apology would have been accepted, everyone moved on and all done in private, no-one needed to know.

Now he has two choice here, does he allow Chang to continue to use this sort of behaviour to other people or does he stand up for himself and expose the kind of person who is the Director of Communications.

How you treat bullies does vary in different situations but ultimately the end result needs to be that the bullying is stopped.

By sitting there doing nothing means that the bully has not been brought to task and therefore will continue to intimidate other people.

Fair enough. Personally I'm still not really in a position to make a judgement on him one way or the other.

I will say the genuine hate on here for a PR man is pretty strange, though.

I don't see genuine hate. I see people who are fucking pissed that yet another person who is clearly out of his depth has been hired into the club.

The club is in a downward spiral, what we need now is a solid foundation, not to be taking punts on people that may or may not be able to do a job. We don't have the margin of error for that kind of stuff.

We needed a 20 year veteran who has been there done that. Not some guy who doesn't even have a PR background and almost no leveragable relationships with people that matter.

Can i just say in answer to Major Tom, i do not hate Jen Chang.

I dislike how he has gone about his business regards dealing with what he thought was a leak within the club but hate is such a strong word.

I don't think he should be sacked as whilst it is questionable he has the correct skills to be the Director of Communications at Liverpool i never like to see anyone lose their job, especially in the current climate we live in.

What i personally would like to see is an apology by Chang for his actions and the upset caused to a Liverpool fan.