You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Secret Santa 2011

RobbieOR

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, meant to come on here to send some PM's out to people last night. Unfortunatly have been violently shitting and vomiting out of the blue the past near 24 hours so I havent felt well enough to sit at the computer.

Also, it means I didnt make it to work to post mine Special Delivery today, so a massive disapointment from the organiser himself.

Have a few people who have run late this year so I'll fire out a few PM's now to let people know they are on the way.

My mum just gave us a bell to tell me that a package has arrived for me so I assume it's my Secret Santa CD as it's from Ireland. I'll go and.pick it up on Christmas and I'll have a review done probably by Boxing day. Apologies for not reviewing it earlier but some post has been going missing in the Wavertree area so I thought it'd be safer going out to me mums.

To be fair what if people have got stuff on in the build up to Christmas,nights out, work (where they can't listen to it during work time) etc, then it can be difficult. If I get mine today or tomorrow I'm not going to have the time to listen to mine till the day after boxing day at the earliest.

Normally I would agree but I think an notification that it has been received then a deadline of the 5th of Jan (just a suggestion of course) for the review.

So you won't be posting on here, driving somehwhere or doing anything else where you could have a CD on while you're getting on with stuff? Come on mate - how hard is it to throw a CD on?

So you won't be posting on here, driving somehwhere or doing anything else where you could have a CD on while you're getting on with stuff? Come on mate - how hard is it to throw a CD on?

It's a lot easier to post on here because of forum runner, time when having dumps in work etc. not so easy to listen to a cd for me for two simple reasons my two CD playing options are a no go.

My burner on my PC has packed in so having to use a mates tonight to get my Secret Santa CD completed, and I had my car battery off recently and need the code for the radio.

Normally would have uploaded it onto my PC then my I-pod and listened to it on the way to work or at home in my smoking jacket with pipe in hand or even travelling on the bus into town on nights out, my i-pod goes everywhere with me.

My CD has arrived today so will try and get it listened to on the sly in work over the next couple of days. It has a nice Jonie Mitchell Blue kind of feel to the cover.

Mine arrived today. Very, very cool - it makes me kind of ashamed about the low production values of the one I've sent. Lots of stuff which is new to me, which is exactly what I wanted.

Will play the shit out of this over the next couple of days and get a review up.

Mine's arrived and I'm uploading it to iTunes as I type so I can have it on my phone. First impressions simply from the track listing are that it's by a proper music head with eclectic tastes. The fact that it's got a Letta Mbulu tune on that isn't What Is Wrong With Groovin'? has immediately whetted my appetite. I'll go back and look at all the Secret Santas for this year in a few minutes and try to have a guess at who it's from, as well as throw a track list up for y'all.

There are too many people in this year's SS whose taste in music I'm unfamiliar with. The amount of reggae/dancehall would have made me say Bat Chain Puller, the hip hop with rock vibe would make me say Olly and the inclusion of Beth Gibbons/Rustin Man would make me say Monty. However, the first two aren't in it this year and there isn't enough Montiness about the whole for it to be him. So, in short, I'm stumped. Anyone else got a clue? Track listing is below (a proper review will follow soon):

A Carroll At Christmas Party Mix

1. Mysteries - Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man

2. Offshore Birmingham - Funki Porcini

3. Dub Outside - Dennis Blackbeard Bovell & Steve Mason

4. Come Ride With Me - Death In Vegas

5. Electric Alice - Grinderman

6. Loving Pauper - Gregory Isaacs

7. Cold Rain - Talib Kweli A Carroll

8. New Love - Strong Arm Steady

9. Turn Me Up Some - Busta Rymes

10. I Chase The Devil - Max Romeo

11. Ing - Mungo's Hi-Fi

12. Good Lookin' Gal - Bobby Digital & Buju Banton

13. Live On - Bounty Killer & Marcia Griffiths

14. Good Life - Brassroots

15. Wacha - Letta Mbulu

16. Tropical Hot Dog Night - Captain Beefheart

17. Lazarus - The Boo Radleys

18. It's Not Meant To Be - Tame Impala

19. Mistakes & Regrets - And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead

20. Flowers On The Wall - The Statler Brothers

Edited by Paul

My C.D has arrived!! I'll report back when i get a listen, this could be today or in a few days as there's a new Baby in the house and it all depends when he decides to give me the time to do the write up.

Just received mine.

Only heard of three of the bands, one of which is the one and only Sam the Sham and the Pharoas.

The CD is bound to be a masterpiece.

Review to follow.

Mine arrived today. Very, very cool - it makes me kind of ashamed about the low production values of the one I've sent. Lots of stuff which is new to me, which is exactly what I wanted.

Will play the shit out of this over the next couple of days and get a review up.

Throw a track list up lads.

There are too many people in this year's SS whose taste in music I'm unfamiliar with. The amount of reggae/dancehall would have made me say Bat Chain Puller, the hip hop with rock vibe would make me say Olly and the inclusion of Beth Gibbons/Rustin Man would make me say Monty. However, the first two aren't in it this year and there isn't enough Montiness about the whole for it to be him. So, in short, I'm stumped. Anyone else got a clue? Track listing is below (a proper review will follow soon):

A Carroll At Christmas Party Mix

1. Mysteries - Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man

2. Offshore Birmingham - Funki Porcini

3. Dub Outside - Dennis Blackbeard Bovell & Steve Mason

4. Come Ride With Me - Death In Vegas

5. Electric Alice - Grinderman

6. Loving Pauper - Gregory Isaacs

7. Cold Rain - Talib Kweli A Carroll

8. New Love - Strong Arm Steady

9. Turn Me Up Some - Busta Rymes

10. I Chase The Devil - Max Romeo

11. Ing - Mungo's Hi-Fi

12. Good Lookin' Gal - Bobby Digital & Buju Banton

13. Live On - Bounty Killer & Marcia Griffiths

14. Good Life - Brassroots

15. Wacha - Letta Mbulu

16. Tropical Hot Dog Night - Captain Beefheart

17. Lazarus - The Boo Radleys

18. It's Not Meant To Be - Tame Impala

19. Mistakes & Regrets - And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead

20. Flowers On The Wall - The Statler Brothers

Actually I'm going to throw a hunch-guess at Green Oak.

List of recieved Discs below, can you add your name to this list once you recieve your disc so we can keep track of who's recieved theirs and the people I need to chase over PM's

DimReaper

Hand Shandy

Cochyn

Yozzer

Loads of Trophies

Chauncey

Paul

Plewggs

Updated (I think).

Mine came this morning. Gonna get in that thar CD player imminently...

Gah! We've got a proper CD player in the living room, and I can't get fucking near the thing for Christmas getting in the way. Looks like I'll have to rip it to my phone until the journey home this Chrimbo. Shame that, as this looks a killer CD worth hearing in all it's glory. Full of the right stuff and more that I've been wanting to listen to for yonks. Nice one sender - Thanks!

It's an interesting looking thing; A lovely picture of a corn-rowed Anthony LeTallec adorns the cover, belying the contents within (French Jazz? Sascha Distell)? - No "Le Tallec's Blond Locks" utters the hand-written labels applied lovingly to the CD itself.

Here's the tracklisting for you who like to guess it's author:

Introduction (Anal sex with Richard and Judy)

Dry Hate - future of the left.

Venus - Air

Grass - Animal Collective

Straight off the DIC - Cannibal Ox

You were right - Built to spill

Satellites - Richard Butler

Woman to Woman - Urge Overkill

E1999 - Bone Thugs n' Harmony

Taxman, Mr Thief - Cheap trick

Slackerpop - The Xcerts

On some faraway beach - Brian Eno

Mind over matter - Ice T

Screamager - Therapy?

In the aeroplane over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel (Great choice..)

I punched a Lion In the Throat - Pulled apart by horses (best song/ band name combo ever)?

Not the average - Jeru the Damaja

Somebody I used to know - Elliot Smith

Heart in your heartbreak - Pains of being pure at heart

Low self-opinion - Rollins Band

Keep me down - Scarface

Still Light - The Knife

Bedtime Story

Slight shitter, in that one of the sticky labels has taken the foil off the CD, rendering tracks 15 onwards unlistenable. (I'll spotify 'em instead).

Full review to come - though it might bee a week or two as we're on a bit of an odyssey this Christmas...

So, the Mrs handed me mine earlier. Made up with it, I know who it's from (one drawback from organising the event) but I wont spoil the fun for everyone else.

Thanks very much ************ (not specific in numbers of *'s) full of stuff I'm very much into but dont own. Loving the 60's and current day blend.

Will have a review up shortly for you. Much appreciated again. Love the artwork, the other half's a designer and both of us were impressed on the artwork so well done on that front.

Updated list to follow.

i HAVE POSTED MINE, BUT NOT RECEIVED ANYTHING YET

You SS has been contacted to see what stage he's at.

If mine doesnt come by the start of January I am going to go on a proper negging spree.

Your SS sent an update through a couple days ago telling me it had been posted then, should come through soon.

Edited by Juniper

Received

DimReaper

Hand Shandy

Cochyn

Yozzer

Loads of Trophies

Plewggs

Chauncey

Paul

Juniper

Received

DimReaper

Hand Shandy

Cochyn

Yozzer

Loads of Trophies

Plewggs

Chauncey

Paul

Juniper

TK-421

Lots of girl on girl action on mine. Don't know who the sender is. It comes with two fearsome looking blunt wraps. Thanks!

Here is the tracklist:-

STONED WHEN SHAGGING

Gymnopedie No. 1 - Satie

Angel - Aretha Franklin

Chasing Pavements - Adelle

Drinking in LA - Van Bran 2000

Summer in Siam - The Pogues

The First Time I ever Saw Your Face - Easther Bennet

Craving - KD Lang

It Never Entered My Mind - Sarah Vaughan

Crazy - Kate Meluda

O Superman - Laurie Anderson

Come Away With Me - Nora Jones

Walk on Bye - Dionne Warwick

Missing - Everything But The Girl

Un Bel Di Vedimo (One Fine Day) - Maria Callas

I'll be There For You - The Rembrants

Samba Pa Ti - Santana

Is that track list a copy and paste, or have you typed it out yourself, with all the howlers of spelling mistakes?

The reason I ask is that it could help identify the sender as well as the music. I'm thinking Robbie, but I don't think Gymnopedie No. 1 would be among his choice of listening material.

Also, where's the postmark from?

Memories of 'Camels On Fire' from 2009