You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come none of the black lads are racist? It's always whitey getting accused.

No- it happens both ways. Headline in papers today-"Cracker burns down Balotellis house"-now I don't know who this White guy Is that Ballotelli is hanging around with but he sounds like a bad influence...."

Blackburn Rovers striker Jason Roberts says that more needs to be done to stamp out racism in football.

The issue has been thrown back into the spotlight after allegations were made against Chelsea captain John Terry and Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, which are being investigated.

Roberts, 33, told BBC Radio 5 live he has been subjected to racist taunts.

"It would have been about five years ago. What I should have done at the time was report it," he said.

The former West Brom and Wigan forward insists racism is a lot less prevalent in football than it was in the past.

He said: "Is it something that used to happen all the time? Absolutely.

"In my 14-year career, I've had it numerous times. More times than I can count.

"It has certainly slowed down recently but the battle isn't won. People still need educating.

"There was an element that that's just the way it is but I would like to think we've moved on from that.

"My uncle, Cyrille Regis, who played in the 70s and 80s, put up with disgusting abuse.

"I think in this day and age we need to change that. It's not acceptable."

Roberts also highlighted the problem of crowd abuse in Europe where black players have been subjected to racist chanting.

England's Ashley Young was allegedly a victim of racist abuse during England's victory in Bulgaria in September.

Roberts added: "I don't know if people have been strong enough about that.

"We've got the European Championship coming up soon where I hope it doesn't happen. There's a strong possibility it will.

"As much as I believe that football is the world's game, there has to be some things put in place that the black players or ethnic minority players don't have to put up with chants from the crowd and players racially abusing them."

Did anyone else know Cyrille Regis was his uncle? I've only heard him mention it, everytime he's been on the radio.

He pretty much admits here that he did say "black cunt" but preceded it with "Oi Anton, I never said..". Make of that what you will.

Anton Ferdinand will decide on Tuesday whether to report the Chelsea captain John Terry to the Football Association over an alleged racist slur, after speaking face to face with the manager at Queens Park Rangers, Neil Warnock.

Video footage circulated on the internet of an incident towards the end of QPR's 1-0 victory in which it has been suggested Terry calls the home defender a "fucking black cunt" as he retreats into his own half of the pitch. Terry denies it and issued a statement on Sunday evening in which he claimed viewers had "leapt to the wrong conclusions about the context of what I was seen to be saying to Anton Ferdinand".

Terry said he had been responding to accusations from the opposing centre-half that he had used racist language. "I thought Anton was accusing me of using a racist slur against him," he said. "I responded aggressively, saying I never used that term." The key part of the footage, where the England captain said he shouted "Oi, Anton, I never said …", is obscured by Ashley Cole walking across the camera shot.

The furore over the incident, and a fractious fixture which saw Chelsea reduced to nine men before the interval, is understood to have spilled into the tunnel after the final whistle, with angry altercations involving players from both sides. Terry and the home goalkeeper, Paddy Kenny, continued arguments that had sparked on the pitch, and other players are believed to have become involved in what is a narrow corridor outside the dressing rooms.

Terry said he had spoken to Ferdinand once tempers had calmed "and there was no problem between us", saying the incident had been "a misunderstanding". Yet the notion that the pair departed amicably has been rejected by sources at QPR. The club have declined to comment publicly on the issue and Ferdinand – normally a keen twitterer – has maintained silence.

The Rangers players were given the day off on Monday after their victory but will report back to their Harlington training centre on Tuesday morning. The club made preliminary contact with him by texton Monday, with the defender – brother of the former England captain, Rio Ferdinand – and one of his representatives to meet Warnock after training to discuss whether the club will ask the FA to investigate. It is understood the player and the club were minded to pursue the matter, though the 26-year-old asked to sleep on the matter before making a final decision.

Should a complaint be made and if Terry is found guilty, any charge would inevitably have serious repercussions for the 30-year-old's position as England captain. The FA declined to comment but does technically have it within its power to investigate, even if no formal complaint is made. Terry was due to make a personal appearance at the opening of a pet shop in Surbiton on Monday but withdrew late from the event, leaving around 100 supporters disappointed.

Meanwhile, the FA is reviewing the post-match conduct of the Chelsea manager, André Villas-Boas, after he confronted the referee, Chris Foy, in the tunnel. Onlookers described the Portuguese's language as "industrial", with Villas-Boas subsequently admitting he had been "very aggressive" with the referee as he complained at perceived inconsistencies in the official's display.

The Chelsea manager claimed Foy had "lost it" and was "card happy" towards his team, comments that could prompt the FA to impose either a fine or touchline suspension. It remains to be seen whether Foy's match report includes mention either of the players' altercations in the tunnel or Villas-Boas's reaction after the final whistle.

The referee sent off Didier Drogba, who apologised to his team-mates in the changing room post-match, for a two-footed lunge at Adel Taarabt, as well as José Bosingwa for a professional foul on Shaun Wright-Phillips, and booked a further seven visiting players. "I thought he reffed it superbly," said the QPR midfielder Shaun Derry. "These big players have a knack of persuading refs to make different decisions but the ref was very strong. The sendings off were the right decisions, and most of the yellow cards were for Chelsea players, and I felt we kept our heads.

"We wanted to unnerve them and put them under pressure in the right areas, and that plan came off. What do you do? Do you stand off these players and let them dictate, or do you get amongst them and mix it with them? I don't think we were vicious in any way or over-aggressive in anything we did. But these top players aren't used to losing to teams of our stature. Perhaps it hurt them because they showed that even the best players can lose their heads."

The FA is to investigate John Terry over alleged racist remarks he made to Anton Ferdinand in the west London derby between QPR and Chelsea on Sunday.

"QPR released a statement saying the club are "keen to draw a line under this alleged incident" but the FA will act after saying it has received a complaint.

The statement said: "The club is aware of an alleged racist incident in Sunday's Premier League fixture between QPR and Chelsea at Loftus Road. The Football Association are now expected to conduct enquiries into the alleged incident.

"QPR chairman, Tony Fernandes, commented: 'Queens Park Rangers Football Club does not condone racism in any way, shape or form. As a club we will provide our players with our unequivocal support when alleged incidents like this occur.

"'The club has, and will continue to support Kick It Out's One Game, One Community initiative, football's equality and inclusion campaign.

"'However, we are keen to draw a line under this alleged incident and focus on our forthcoming fixtures, starting with Sunday's London derby at Spurs.' The club will be making no further comment at this stage."

The FA said: "The FA can confirm it has received a complaint relating to an alleged incident of racist abuse in the QPR versus Chelsea fixture at Loftus Road on 23 October 2011. The FA will now begin to make enquiries into this matter. The FA takes seriously any allegations of discrimination and abuse of this type. No further comment will be issued at this time."

Pictures of the incident are to be scrutinised by officers from Hammersmith and Fulham police after a member of the public emailed a complaint. Terry denies making any racist remark."

Not sure who has made the complaint Ferdinand or a member of the public.

JT's claim about the context in which he made the slur are "inventive". But if AF claims that it was just a part of systematic racist abuse he is in trouble.

Is he a rascist? I don't know. And defining what a rascist is, is not easy.Might he be a man who thinks that he can do and say whatever he wants without repercussions? Quite possibly.

I've noticed in a few reports of this story that they keep showing a picture of Terry during the incedent with his hand over his mouth a bit like what you might do if you have sworn in front of a child

article-0-0E82F67800000578-995_468x286.jpg

I reckon the papers will have a few photos like this and will be able to look at them in order, and they have a feeling that is his reaction when he realises he has said something he shouldn't have. They keep showing these photos without referencing the hand over his mouth, but would not be surprised if they are setting up a story along those lines, perhaps waiting for a guilty verdict. A bit like when they started to run stories almost daily on Giggs being a famliy man, subconsiously setting it up in peoples minds, before it was made public that he was the one with the injunction (but after the twitter leaks).