You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

I've never heard of this website before so very much doubt its credibility.

Liverpool leading Manchester United in race to sign Gaston Ramirez | Give Me Football

That article links us with a £15m move for Bologna's Gaston Ramirez, a 20 year old Uraguayan playmaker. It also claims he's a target for United, Barca and Real. It's fair to say he seems to fit the 'FSG model', but I've never seen him play and don't know if there's much in this. Anyone know anything about him?

I think Anelka is past it and with Kuyt/Bellamy we already have two strikers who are probably only here short term. I don't think it makes sense to sign another as it'd mean we'd need a massive overhaul up front in a couple of seasons time (in fact, you could argue we need just such an overhaul now).

I think it's great to have players of the experience of Maxi, Bellamy, Gerrard, Kuyt, Carra et al about the club, but we must be careful not to overdo it á la Chelsea/Milan.

Besides, he's leaving Chelsea because he wants first team football, something which we cannot offer or guarantee him. I also think he'd be on inflated wages, which isn't ideal for someone sitting on the bench. FSG said they wanted to increase our wage bill, but only in such a way that reflected good value. I don't think Anelka's wages would do so.

I think Anelka would be a shrewd buy for one or two years.

However I can't see Kenny going for it, as he will want to give Carroll at least to the end of the season to impress.

Why would Villa want to leave Barca though? He still gets plenty of action.

I can't see that happening.

He does, but there is the rumour about him not getting along with Messi all that well, Guardiola's response to those reports were abit cryptic i'd say.

Basically not commenting on it raher just praising Villa as a player and as a person.

And he is over 30, plus that Barca have a bunch of quality players whom they cannot all fit in a starting line up. Pedro, Fabregas, Sanchez and Villa are basically competing for 2 spots.

It's a long shot, but there have been reports and no real denial from them about the situation between Messi and Villa.

We need to increase our attacking options in Jan of that there is no doubt. Our rivals for a top 4 place are banging goals in from all over the park. It was frustrating as hell to see Norwich and Swansea conceding goals left right and centre yesterday, We couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo against both of em!

We need another option up front and the king needs to find that fluidity in attack that we have seen on occasion, not only is it effective but its fucking great to watch... Gives me goosebumps and takes me back to when we were the fucking absolute dogs bollox.

Rumour is he has fallen out with Messi. I can't see it happening either. Cost of ownership would be very high.

I was at a company management meeting held this week down in Brentwood.

Our Manager down there (Spurs Fan) was adamant a mate of his (financial/insurance type-we're not I add!) was sorting financial deals linked to Villa coming next month.

I expressed severe scepticism and he offered me any bet I wanted it would happen-I declined!

I'd love it to be true but can't believe it.

I was at a company management meeting held this week down in Brentwood.

Our Manager down there (Spurs Fan) was adamant a mate of his (financial/insurance type-we're not I add!) was sorting financial deals linked to Villa coming next month.

I expressed severe scepticism and he offered me any bet I wanted it would happen-I declined!

I'd love it to be true but can't believe it.

The thing I would question is how long a contract. Let's say he would cost £25M (which might be optimistic). Wages of at least £5M a year, which is again being optimistic. That would mean on a three year contract the total cost of ownership would be at least £40M, or about £13.5M a year. He's going to be looking old in three years though at 33. If we gave him five years it's only £10M a year, but two years of that is dead weight at £20M. It's a lot of money whichever way you look at it.

The thing I would question is how long a contract. Let's say he would cost £25M (which might be optimistic). Wages of at least £5M a year, which is again being optimistic. That would mean on a three year contract the total cost of ownership would be at least £40M, or about £13.5M a year. He's going to be looking old in three years though at 33. If we gave him five years it's only £10M a year, but two years of that is dead weight at £20M. It's a lot of money whichever way you look at it.

If this deal should somehow happen, which i find unlikely but i fuckin hope it could happen, i think we'll pay far less than £25 million. He is 30 years old, and i'd also say there would be truth to the Messi rumours, which we will for sure know about through Pepe, if it is indeed the case, plus that he is not an automatic first choice player for them. An undisclosed fee would be my guess but probably in the region of 10-15 million.

And he is over 30, plus that Barca have a bunch of quality players whom they cannot all fit in a starting line up. Pedro, Fabregas, Sanchez and Villa are basically competing for 2 spots.

I don't think there's a chance in hell we're getting Villa. But if you look at the list above, they are all basically untouchable....we should bid for that Affelay kid. He coudl play any of our attacking positions and be an improvement on all of them bar Suarez.