You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Section and Sir Roger on the money there, more about who you know than what you know, to get a foot in the door. I'm pretty sure Kenny vouched for digger up at Celtic, and I'd imagine baconface and possibly Evans have no doubt vouched for Ince when he was looking around. The one fella who has shown himself to be pretty good at the job, Chris Hughton, was a decent player but not such a big name, consequently a useless fat cunt like ashley got rid.

Also where do we draw the line for the rooney rule??? Do we run the risk of Tony Cascarino telling us of his Jamaican grandmother to get a foot in the door, we mustnt limit it just to "blacks" but also asians?? Which should mean Michael Chopra will get shit loads of interviews when he hangs up his boots, as he is the first descendant from the subcontinent to make it big in the game.

I'm all for a level playing field for all who want to participate in the managerial merry go round, but unsure if the rooney rule could work for footy, positive discrimination for one still means negative discrimination for others, dunno how else you can try to balance things tho.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Don't forget women managers, Muslim managers, managers with wooden legs... there's no end to the prejudice in English football is there?

They're not represented at playing level either. Black players are. Lots of them. Shame they don't make it through to management.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Why is it a shame?

Because they'll just sit around eating fried chicken for the rest of their lives, obviously. It's a waste.

It'd be nice to have more black and ethnic minority managers so that part of the game is more representative of the players and the wider communities (around 20-25% of players are from an ethnic minority, around 10% of the UK society. 2% of managers). If players from ethnic minorities believe it's futile for them to even try, that's a bad thing isn't it? When things aren't solely about how good you are, but other random factors, then that's a bad thing.

Because they'll just sit around eating fried chicken for the rest of their lives, obviously. It's a waste.

It'd be nice to have more black and ethnic minority managers so that part of the game is more representative of the players and the wider communities (around 20-25% of players are from an ethnic minority, around 10% of the UK society. 2% of managers). If players from ethnic minorities believe it's futile for them to even try, that's a bad thing isn't it? When things aren't solely about how good you are, but other random factors, then that's a bad thing.

Right. Well, I couldn't give a fuck. Makes no odds to my enjoyment or interest in football. I don't care what colour anyone is.

Obviously discrimination (negative, positive or otherwise) isn't a good thing (mmmkay) but I've got more important things to worry about.

People have this idea of some sort of managerial hinterland where black managers turn the game around.

Tell you what would be interesting though, is if someone like QPR went all black, and made a real point of doing it. Black manager, black chairman, black coaches, and a mandate to recruit the best black players. I wonder if black players would insist on joining them from other clubs to be a part of 'the resistance'?

I think there's a huge market still open to a club who fully embrace the African and/or Carribean culture, and play on it. Like St Pauli in Germany, many people took them on as their second club because they agreed with the premise of St Pauli and what it stood for.

Likewise would happen with an all-black club.

But...

Who would be their preferred sponsor?

What song would they walk out to?

What would the club badge redesign look like?

People have this idea of some sort of managerial hinterland where black managers turn the game around.

Tell you what would be interesting though, is if someone like QPR went all black, and made a real point of doing it. Black manager, black chairman, black coaches, and a mandate to recruit the best black players. I wonder if black players would insist on joining them from other clubs to be a part of 'the resistance'?

I think there's a huge market still open to a club who fully embrace the African and/or Carribean culture, and play on it. Like St Pauli in Germany, many people took them on as their second club because they agreed with the premise of St Pauli and what it stood for.

Likewise would happen with an all-black club.

But...

Who would be their preferred sponsor?

What would the club badge redesign look like?

You could be less blatant. If you were a bit cleverer.

Do you think I'm racist?

Hmmm.

I love how the immediate reaction to anyone who goes more in depth into the black debate is immediately labelled as some sort of racist trouble-maker.

It's a genuine question, why hasn't anyone made a real grab for the black market? We often hear about 'the Asian market' and the signing of Japanese or Korean players to sell shirts and make money. Why not discuss the same thing for the black market? Especially if they consider themselves underrepresented, that's another USP, the club that defied tradition, come buy our shirt.

Do you think I'm racist?

Hmmm.

I love how the immediate reaction to anyone who goes more in depth into the black debate is immediately labelled as some sort of racist trouble-maker.

It's a genuine question, why hasn't anyone made a real grab for the black market?

"Who would be their preferred sponsor?

What would the club badge redesign look like?"

Do you think I'm racist?

Hmmm.

It's a genuine question, why hasn't anyone made a real grab for the black market? We often hear about 'the Asian market' and the signing of Japanese or Korean players to sell shirts and make money. Why not discuss the same thing for the black market? Especially if they consider themselves underrepresented, that's another USP, the club that defied tradition, come buy our shirt.

The Asian market is just that, the Asian Market i.e. the Countries and attempts to promote the team to the various asian countries.

What you are suggesting is promoting a club to a particular ethnic group, which is like totally ludicrous yeah?

Unless you are suggesting that all black people think the same, follow the same ideology and would welcome being able to identify in some way with fellow black people!

It's not New Orleans 1958 mate, we can have a joke about this shit now.

Oh I see! Confused now....

If Paul Merson can get a managerial position while Paul Davis can't, then there is something wrong somewhere...

That is actually pretty compelling evidence right there. How dim would you have to be to give Paul Merson a manager's job?

I always thought Viv Anderson would have got a manager's job at some point as he had a good CV from his playing career and was a number two at Boro for a while. Is he even still in the game?

Atkinson signed Cyril Regis when most other clubs were having none of it.

He's an old man with racism in his bones, but it never affected his football teams and whether or not he regarded a player as being talented.

But don't let that get in the way of a good lynching because he used some shop floor language that was drilled into him as he was dragged up in the 1940's.

Silver, considering you're a fan of Bill Hicks...this is quite a set of double standards going on there lad.

Don't forget women managers, Muslim managers, managers with wooden legs... there's no end to the prejudice in English football is there?

I hear you.

Is there hardly a day in modern day Britain(I`ll omit the Great)without someone accusing someone else of being "racist"? It seems to me that this has become the only sport that the people are actively passionate about nowadays.

If an Arsenal twat comments on our squad, without seeing (or wanting to see),the likes of Ngog and Johnson,then you have to question his intentions i.e does he actually watch the game as a sporting event or does he politicize it by counting colours.If you want the latter, go to South Africa and see the damage it has done to the sports of football and rugby where the fronts are hardend and where that vastly underused word "meritocracy" is as foreign as in this thread.

Let me guess what`s next.............sexism in football,maybe? If so,then some will have to deal with the "inherent sexism" and "discuss" their avatars with Oliver Holt-he seems to find time during the international break to write drivel-you`ll be in good hands.

Atkinson signed Cyril Regis when most other clubs were having none of it.

He's an old man with racism in his bones, but it never affected his football teams and whether or not he regarded a player as being talented.

But don't let that get in the way of a good lynching because he used some shop floor language that was drilled into him as he was dragged up in the 1940's.

Silver, considering you're a fan of Bill Hicks...this is quite a set of double standards going on there lad.

He can't help it guv, he was brought up in the 40's.

Lynching? Choice.

"Thick lazy nigger" just in case anyone had forgotten...