You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres Mark II

Section_31

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U should post this on a few sites

Shitty - and Chelsea before them - are doing more than any club in this country to make the normal football fan despise the sport they once loved.

The fucking famous Man Shitty fans eh? The Arabs could have landed their oil money and pumped it into any small, success-starved club and they'd attract top talent and win trophies. It happened at Chelsea. Fact is, money can buy success and if Crewe Alexandria had £800m poured into it, they'd be in Europe too.

Of course, it's fine for fans of the old school "big clubs" like us, United and Arsenal to bang on about how money has ruined everything, when we used to quite happily pluck the best talent from other clubs and pay the highest wages and the biggest transfer fees (Hi Beardo! Hi Kenny! Hi Stan!), but the scale has changed.

What used to be an interative, slow process that allowed a side to be built over decades now happens in one season. The absurd money that Shitty have access to means that they can simply take as many players from as many bigger clubs as they want, when they want, simply because of money.

Look at the salaries they have paid to players like Adebayor, Nasri, Barry. Samir Nasri has DOUBLED his salary. Look at how quickly the balance of power has shifted. Shitty haven't built anything. They've pillaged and plundered players that other clubs have made.

And they've done it in such a way that big, big clubs like Arsenal have had their entire squad gutted in 18 months.

Of course, it isn't "just about the wages" as I'm sure some dopey cunt Manc will tell you. It's the fucking "project". It's the future success that joining Shitty (or Chelsea) almost guarantees. That's true.

But actually, it is just about the wages in a very real sense; without those wages, and that amount of absurd cash available, none of those players whould join them, and the squad wouldn't be one of the best in Europe.

The rapacious way in which the Arabs have elevated a small, laughably unsuccessful club rather makes a mockery of what everyone used to love about football. What made a club like Liverpool great. One man building something special. A vision of how a cluib should be.

Shitty and the Arabs and that gurning, shit-haired cunt Abramovich have shown that vision and building are as pointless and anachronistic as rattles, half-time pies and laces on balls.

It's an ugly, venal reality that rewards greed and has changed football from a passionate, special game into - surprise!- an ugly, venal pastime for rich cunts.

I hate 90% of footballers and people who populate its periphery, and Man Shitty and their hateful owners, players, fans and staff are simply the latest iteration of cunts laying waste to football and what made it great.

Guest San Don

TBH I know a couple of city fans. Lads who have always supported 'their' team even when they were in the 3rd tier, through the bad times. And they have had to watch as united have bulldozed nearly everyone else out of the way to the title.

They support their club but they realise they've got arseholes in charge (Cook and co) while they have won the lottery with the arab money. They think its all hollow. They know not a single player who joined in the last few years did so because they wanted to play for city, they wanted the mega bucks pay check, the instant doubling sometimes trebling of their wages.

One of them has actually stopped going because everything that's happened is, as he sees it, artificial.

The other lad says its his club through thick and thin. He cant stop them spending silly money no more than he could get them to spend before the arabs arrive. he says he'll se where the ride takes him but he knows its all surreal.

As he says, 'what would you do if it was Liverpool who the arabs had invested in instead?'

As he says, 'what would you do if it was Liverpool who the arabs had invested in instead?'

Probably blown away by the amount of money being spent, and my excitement would probably cool down to a grim realization that what Liverpool has been ... well... changed.

I dunno how I'd respond to it. I'd probably still follow the club, and celebrate our victories... but I can't think I'd be too passionate about it.

He's got a point with those quotes. But it's how artificial it feels. Like he's been given a brochure, with the club brands and values, and player specification plastered all over it by the HR department.

Things to mention: great fans, good project, weather not so bad

Things not to mention: coming for the 100% pay hike

I know that's modern football in a nutshell in many ways, but as much as the money City fuck me off for their corporate breakdown of football. The roles that Brian Marwood and Patrick Vieira have got: Football Administrator? Football Development Executive?

I know we've got Comolli in with a similar role, but with Cuty it feels different. They're just trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes - they're going to try and convince everyone that they're about to dominate football because of their superb setup. Nothing to do with a man who sits on 1/10th of the world's oil reserves. Oh no.

TBH I know a couple of city fans. Lads who have always supported 'their' team even when they were in the 3rd tier, through the bad times. And they have had to watch as united have bulldozed nearly everyone else out of the way to the title.

They support their club but they realise they've got arseholes in charge (Cook and co) while they have won the lottery with the arab money. They think its all hollow. They know not a single player who joined in the last few years did so because they wanted to play for city, they wanted the mega bucks pay check, the instant doubling sometimes trebling of their wages.

One of them has actually stopped going because everything that's happened is, as he sees it, artificial.

The other lad says its his club through thick and thin. He cant stop them spending silly money no more than he could get them to spend before the arabs arrive. he says he'll se where the ride takes him but he knows its all surreal.

I've got a few city mates as well and they pretty much feel exactly the same way. They know that players are coming for the money and dont really like it, but have had to put up with the scum winning everything for years and just want to put one over them.

He's got a point with those quotes. But it's how artificial it feels. Like he's been given a brochure, with the club brands and values, and player specification plastered all over it by the HR department.

Things to mention: great fans, good project, weather not so bad

Things not to mention: coming for the 100% pay hike

I know that's modern football in a nutshell in many ways, but as much as the money City fuck me off for their corporate breakdown of football. The roles that Brian Marwood and Patrick Vieira have got: Football Administrator? Football Development Executive?

I know we've got Comolli in with a similar role, but with Cuty it feels different. They're just trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes - they're going to try and convince everyone that they're about to dominate football because of their superb setup. Nothing to do with a man who sits on 1/10th of the world's oil reserves. Oh no.

Do you think players, who have no connection with City, give a shit about where that money comes from?

I don't think anyone can perpetually dominate world football anymore, but City are at the very top table, and in 50 years time, their Sheik will be idolised by their fans, in the same way we idolise Shanks.

Football has changed, and you will never again see a sleeping giant gain promotion, consolidate, win the league and have sustained success.

City will be viewed as one of the worlds great clubs in 50 years time, and they'll be singing about history to the latest club taken over by the wealth of a Chinese businessman.

I think it's shit, but there's fuck all we can do about it. I'm just glad I'll probably be dead by then. I'm old enough to have seen a lot of the good times, and far too many bad times.

Do you think players, who have no connection with City, give a shit about where that money comes from?

I don't think anyone can perpetually dominate world football anymore, but City are at the very top table, and in 50 years time, their Sheik will be idolised by their fans, in the same way we idolise Shanks.

Football has changed, and you will never again see a sleeping giant gain promotion, consolidate, win the league and have sustained success.

City will be viewed as one of the worlds great clubs in 50 years time, and they'll be singing about history to the latest club taken over by the wealth of a Chinese businessman.

I think it's shit, but there's fuck all we can do about it. I'm just glad I'll probably be dead by then. I'm old enough to have seen a lot of the good times, and far too many bad times.

Football will be dead in 50 years. It will evolve into a new sport all together called moneyball, where basically the worlds 20 richest people see how high they can stack their money before it falls over.

If it happened to us I'd probably give up football, to be honest.

Im sorry, mate. But you wouldnt. Its an addiction. Everyone on this forum wants one thing. And that is for Liverpool Football Club to be succesful. And Im afraid, after the last few years that we've had to endure under Hicks and Gillett, we wouldnt care how it came.

Of course it would be great to beat the big guys without spending loads, but these days you have to spend it. Thats just the way it is.

Reading the last couple of posts, I'm sorry, but are we pretending we didn't just spunk around £60m this summer?

We're seriously doing that?

This is modern football, sad as it is. It's shit and I'm sure i'm not the only one who 'falls out of love' with football a little bit more every day, or more accurately, every time a great footballer signs for Chelsea or City and credits the 'passionate fans'.

But we wouldn't quit it and honestly, we're as much a part of this madness as the next club, because you have to take part it in to remain competitive.

Guest San Don
Im sorry, mate. But you wouldnt. Its an addiction. Everyone on this forum wants one thing. And that is for Liverpool Football Club to be succesful. And Im afraid, after the last few years that we've had to endure under Hicks and Gillett, we wouldnt care how it came.

Of course it would be great to beat the big guys without spending loads, but these days you have to spend it. Thats just the way it is.

This.

We'd all like to think we'd take the moral high ground and turn our backs on football but your club is your club. Some undoubtedly would give up but, they'd be a minority. You only have to look at how many people gave up their seasie's under the previous owners to realise that.

I've said before, the football authorities should have done something when abramovich and others started chucking their personal wealth around. They believed in some form of self regulation but now, you go to almost any European league and find one club artificially being supported by a rich owner. Look at Eto'o. 360 grand a week? By a russian no mark club?

UEFA need to act hard on these clubs instead of this in 3 years time bollocks.

I can't speak for others, but I am already losing interest in the game year on year anyway. If we had owners who were just throwing money at mercenaries the way City's are then the soul of the club would be lost, and I wouldn't want to follow an LFC that had lost it's identity to that extent. Not in the same way, anyway. Obviously we are spending money at the moment, but we are still signing players who appear to want to be here for the right reasons, and we are going about it in a sane and sensible way. When we lose what makes us special then we might as well give up and go home.

Fuck me. Nasri is on 180,000 p/w at City.

£185k according to the metro. He's not even close to being worth that. I mean he's ok but £25 million quid plus the thick end of a million quid a month? Fuck me. If he stays there four years he'll have cost them almost £65 million and that's without bonuses and any other payments. How the fuck can they justify that? It's disgusting what city are doing.

£185k according to the metro. He's not even close to being worth that. I mean he's ok but £25 million quid plus the thick end of a million quid a month? Fuck me. If he stays there four years he'll have cost them almost £65 million and that's without bonuses and any other payments. How the fuck can they justify that? It's disgusting what city are doing.

He was on... what... 70,000 p/w at Arsenal? Arsenal offered him what... 110,000p/w? (which is totally reasonable)

He was on... what... 70,000 p/w at Arsenal? Arsenal offered him what... 110,000p/w? (which is totally reasonable)

Not a dig at you in any way Lance, but just read that back to yourself...

£110k a week totally reasonable? That's about 3 times what I earn in a year! And players like Nasri, who is good but isn't exactly world class, are getting that kind of money A WEEK!

And that's without even touching on what City are doing.

The game is fucked - properly, properly fucked.

Not a dig at you in any way Lance, but just read that back to yourself...

£110k a week totally reasonable? That's about 3 times what I earn in a year! And players like Nasri, who is good but isn't exactly world class, are getting that kind of money A WEEK!

And that's without even touching on what City are doing.

The game is fucked - properly, properly fucked.

No, I hear you, Handsy. I was saying it's reasonable for a footballer, of his level, to expect from a club desperate to keep him.