You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1989/90.

Trumo

Cheers for the clarification. I suspected that somewhat as I wrote my initial response but I still blew my top.

As an aside by the way, I'm not a great believer in having heroes but that's what Kenny is to me. I absolutely love the bones of him. He ranks in my affection somewhere just below my immediate family. I find it very difficult to countenance any criticism of him at all, which is probably going to get me into some arguments in the coming years!

Yeah, I don't think you're alone. When we inevitably lose a few and there's just cause to be critical, the match threads are going to resemble war zones.

Guest barralad

Brilliant stuff.Takes me back.Just watched part 1 and part 7.It seemed that we had a lot more space and time on the ball.How the game has changed!.

Great to see the interviews after we won as well with Kenny thrown in the bath.

Out of interest what is the name of the old lad in the crowd cheering when we got a pen against QPR (part 7 ,6minutes 11 seconds in).I am sure I remember seeing a lot of him when watching on tele in those days.

Happy days indeed.

Watching that 9-0 v Palace and the subsequent travesty of the cup semi final always makes me wonder if we could've got to the final we could maybe have stopped the Ferguson era at birth.

How different things might have been then?

This makes me a sad panda.

I think I would have to put Kenny as my only hero in terms of modern day football i.e. the game as it is now, aside from that Carra comes close but the rest I just struggle to have any real respect for.

As I said elsewhere on here earlier today if Kenny hadn't come back I was near the point of fucking football off all together. The game still has it's issues but at least we seem somewhere near the kind of mentality we have.

I had a right go at a few people from up here calling him a bottler when he came back into the job for us, the change in him after Hillsborough was so noticeable. I don't think many outside of Liverpool supporters really fully understand just what the players and staff did afterwards and how much it affected them.

Absolutely love the man, not ashamed in the slightest to say I even got emotional just seeing him at the Stadium of Light it being the first time I had seen him in the flesh since I was a kid.

Souness, cheeky bastard, had the nerve to say the team was finished and over the hill by the time he arrived.

He also spouted utter shite that Liverpool hadn't won anything for 2 years(!) by the time he arrived and Peter Robinson told him there was only one player at the club who still deserved to be there.

It's still unbelievable how badly he managed to fuck it all up.

Souness, cheeky bastard, had the nerve to say the team was finished and over the hill by the time he arrived.

He also spouted utter shite that Liverpool hadn't won anything for 2 years(!) by the time he arrived and Peter Robinson told him there was only one player at the club who still deserved to be there.

It's still unbelievable how badly he managed to fuck it all up.

The fogs of time always led me to believe that this was true and the percieved myth in the football world that Kenny resigned because the team was on the wane.

Looking back at the results and stuff from 1990/91, we only finished 7 points behind Arsenal and considering we lost both games against them and wobbled after KK left (which in itself is reason enough for the wobble). Who's to say he couldn't have steadied the ship after the 4-4?

To go back to an earlier point I made, I strongly believe now that if he had 've stayed then Man Utd's rise would've been severly curtailed. I also feel that Kenny is one of few that Ferguson fears if thats the right word or more probably genuinely respects.

Could you even put a price on John Barnes (88-90) in today's money?

I could watch John Barnes from those 2 seasons all day long. In my opinion there has never been as good an individual performance from a player in a red shirt since.

Gerrard has had good seasons, Torres had a good first season but for me no one will ever be as good as Barnes 87-90.

EVER

I could watch John Barnes from those 2 seasons all day long. In my opinion there has never been as good an individual performance from a player in a red shirt since.

Gerrard has had good seasons, Torres had a good first season but for me no one will ever be as good as Barnes 87-90.

EVER

I agree, there were loads of quality players in our squad in 89-90 Beardo, Rushie, Macca etc but if you take John Barnes from us I would argue all day long that we wouldn't have won a pot.

I agree, there were loads of quality players in our squad in 89-90 Beardo, Rushie, Macca etc but if you take John Barnes from us I would argue all day long that we wouldn't have won a pot.

Agree with this. As title winning sides go it was probably equivalent to Uniteds last title winning side last season. We and they won both titles fairly comfortably in the end (both by 9 points coincidentally) but should have wrapped it up earlier really. Both still good sides but both had had better recent sides which had won honours and titles.

Rush still scored 26 goals I think but he didn't look as good as he had done prior to him going to Juventus when he was fucking phenomenal, Hansen still played well but it was his last full season, McMahon wasn't great throughout, Houghton was injured a fair bit and Beardsley was still influential but not as much as before. Hysen started brightly but his form got worse as the season went on.

Still some great moments like the 9-0 v Palace and the 6-1 v Coventry in the last game but thrashings aganst Southampton and the cup loss v Palace were alarming. It was a team that was still brilliant on it's day but was developing a bit of a soft underbelly.

The team wasn't finished but quite a bit needed to be done, especially after Whelan and McMahon were 'broken'. When JB got injured early on the following season it got a lot harder.

Hard to argue if Souness had just said practically everyone in that team's best days were behind them.

Hillsborough had an effect on Kenny but also the swift turnover in players and their form. In 1988 we were virtually untouchable and by 1991 it all needed altering again. Souness just wasn't up to it, and was also a cunt to deal with the Scum.

It's just as bad today, even with the squads taking over from teams. Before last week, the last time we beat Arsenal was in the Champions League and the change in both sides is crazy in just 3 years

Guest davelfc

Loved Kenny's post match comment when asked about was he excited with the way we were playing, he said he was excited to be back for his first game as manager and he's still excited now.

The man is a class apart, a shining example to all of how to act, treat fans, treat the media and he has brought the dignity back to this great club that was missing for the past few years.

He's fucking brilliant and I love the bloke as much as I love this club.

Loved Kenny's post match comment when asked about was he excited with the way we were playing, he said he was excited to be back for his first game as manager and he's still excited now.

The man is a class apart, a shining example to all of how to act, treat fans, treat the media and he has brought the dignity back to this great club that was missing for the past few years.

He's fucking brilliant and I love the bloke as much as I love this club.

He's totally transformed the club. Says all the right things, encourages every player and doesn't invite any sniping from the press or other clubs. You wonder what could have been achieved had he returned sooner or better still never left.

Agree with this. As title winning sides go it was probably equivalent to Uniteds last title winning side last season. We and they won both titles fairly comfortably in the end (both by 9 points coincidentally) but should have wrapped it up earlier really.

The title in 1990 was much closer than the 9 points in the end. A loss at Spurs, and a cup semi-final loss were big blows and could have torpedoed the league campaign. But we got a late point at Arsenal and good wins afterwards. Even then, with 10 minutes to go at home to QPR, the Villa result wasn't going our way. But they imploded in the remaining minutes and we won it with a week to spare.

I'll take that as a yes then! I've been posting on this forum for over 10 years now and it's the first time i've seen Hermes totally behind a manager!

Great stuff.

I was right behind Rafa for several years. Problem was, he was so heavy I couldn't push him out of the door.

• Upvote 1