You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other routes into Europe for next season?

well Tottenham qualified for Champions League and they were not even in Europe at all, maybe it benefited them?

The current Top 6 have all played in Europe this year. Villa had almost the whole season to focus on domestic stuff and are down fighting the drop.

If you're not in Europe, you're invisible to the outside world. As we are this week. We need to be in some form of European competition next year, for pride if little else.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The europa league is fucking awful. I just couldn't stomach watching it for another season, I'd much rather we concentrate on getting back where we belong.

And besides, I wasn't much looking forward to the prospect of my Manc in-laws in Dublin sitting in the corporate bleachers at "the new Landsdowne Road" sipping Bulmers and patronisingly watching my team in the final of an also-ran competition, while they chatted excitedly about the upcoming United/Barcelona ECL final at Wembley.

All while I sat twiddling my thumbs down here, posting bitter and twisted comments on TLW.

I don't turn down the opportunity to win trophies, whatever the competion or venue, and especially not at home. That's more important to me than two neutrals discussing which club is more in debt.

I respect the 2 UEFA Cup wins won in the 70's, that established our name on the European stage. I loved the win in Dortmund, and winning it a 4th time in Dublin, would have more than made up for the year we've endured.

Instead, we're looking forward to playing Fulham and Birmingham in the coming weeks, for the reward of fuc all.

And besides, I wasn't much looking forward to the prospect of my Manc in-laws in Dublin sitting in the corporate bleachers at "the new Landsdowne Road" sipping Bulmers and patronisingly watching my team in the final of an also-ran competition, while they chatted excitedly about the upcoming United/Barcelona ECL final at Wembley.

All while I sat twiddling my thumbs down here, posting bitter and twisted comments on TLW.

I might be misunderstanding your post, but I'm definitely not bitter or twisted. My reason for us not wanting to be involved in a 2nd rate competition is nothing to do with winning trophies. It is simply to do with concentrating totally on getting back into the only european competition that the top clubs, and top players, want to play in. As soon as we are back in the champions league it will be so much easier to attract the really top players to the club, as well as generating the money to buy them.

We're a football club, and football clubs should play games. I'd rather play tomorrow night, than have to wait until Monday night to play again.

No Intertoto, so that way into Europe is gone. First week without European action for nearly 2 years this week, missing it already, let alone if we have to do without it for a whole season next year.

Losing our title record next month, and other players snubbing us for European football in the summer, would be unofficial confirmation of our standing in English football at the present time, and make the rebuilding job more difficult.

dumb.gif

I might be misunderstanding your post, but I'm definitely not bitter or twisted. My reason for us not wanting to be involved in a 2nd rate competition is nothing to do with winning trophies. It is simply to do with concentrating totally on getting back into the only european competition that the top clubs, and top players, want to play in. As soon as we are back in the champions league it will be so much easier to attract the really top players to the club, as well as generating the money to buy them.

No, you're in the clear mate... I was actually referring to myself as the bitter and twisted one. :yes:

I don't turn down the opportunity to win trophies, whatever the competion or venue, and especially not at home. That's more important to me than two neutrals discussing which club is more in debt.

I respect the 2 UEFA Cup wins won in the 70's, that established our name on the European stage. I loved the win in Dortmund, and winning it a 4th time in Dublin, would have more than made up for the year we've endured.

Instead, we're looking forward to playing Fulham and Birmingham in the coming weeks, for the reward of fuc all.

I think the consensus is, even from you mypost, that the "EUFA Cup" ain't anymore what it used to be in the 70s.

Nor for that matter is the ECL. For instance, teams finishing 3rd or 4th in their domestic League the year before didn't even used to be in the European Cup, let alone win it.

(Mind you, I make the sign of the cross and thank God for Instanbul, before anyone hopefully thinks of sending me any hate-posts accusing me of belittling the achievement.)

I think the consensus is, even from you mypost, that the "EUFA Cup" ain't anymore what it used to be in the 70s.

I know what the popular consensus is, but we exist to win trophies here. A trophy goes in the cabinet, and the record books. If we're in it, I want us to win it. No exceptions.

I know what the popular consensus is, but we exist to win trophies here. A trophy goes in the cabinet, and the record books. If we're in it, I want us to win it. No exceptions.

No one said anything about not wanting to win trophies mate. It's just that the epic UEFA Cup win over Borrusia Monchengladbach in the early 70s, with both clubs going on to contest the European Cup Final in 1977, means more to me than a win in a competition, thesedays, that half the teams enter at the half way mark, having invariably been twatted in their ECL groups.

That's all.

"Half the teams" is I think, just a slight overexaggeration, when in reality, it is 8 that enter at the halfway mark. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Whoever we play, still have to be beaten.

We entered at halfway last year. I wouldn't have complained had we won it. It would have been No. 4 in the cabinet and another for the collection. That's what would have mattered.

Some people have suggested 'it will do us good' not being in Europe next season to concentrate on the league. Personally I think it is very sad that we won't be in Europe next season.

x

I couldn't give a toss about the Europa League, neither can the club or the players, you only have to look at the team selections and performances to see that.

Top four is the priority next season. If we do get into the Europa League next season then we should only field a shadow squad, nobody from the PremierLeague squad should play.

"Half the teams" is I think, just a slight overexaggeration, when in reality, it is 8 that enter at the halfway mark. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Whoever we play, still have to be beaten.

We entered at halfway last year. I wouldn't have complained had we won it. It would have been No. 4 in the cabinet and another for the collection. That's what would have mattered.

Come on now, mypost, now you're just keeping open a thread that's probably served its purpose with your trademark repetition. So at the risk of playing your game, I REPEAT, no one said anything about not winning trophies.

But perhaps we could give the League title a crack in the next couple of seasons. Apparently we haven't won that one for a while and it's rumoured we used to win it a lot and some supporters are getting a little anxious and nostalgic about it.

Over and out.

Come on now, mypost, now you're just keeping open a thread that's probably served its purpose with your trademark repetition. So at the risk of playing your game, I REPEAT, no one said anything about not winning trophies.

But perhaps we could give the League title a crack in the next couple of seasons. Apparently we haven't won that one for a while and it's rumoured we used to win it a lot and some supporters are getting a little anxious and nostalgic about it.

Of course I want to win the league, but I think my point is quite clear. I don't "prioritise" competitions. I just want to (try to) win everything we're in. Whether we beat 15 Milans or 15 Mansfields along the way doesn't bother me, nor devalue what we actually do win, in my eyes.

A trophy is a trophy.

Guest ShoePiss
Of course I want to win the league, but I think my point is quite clear. I don't "prioritise" competitions. I just want to (try to) win everything we're in. Whether we beat 15 Milans or 15 Mansfields along the way doesn't bother me, nor devalue what we actually do win, in my eyes.

A trophy is a trophy.

We should drop out of the Premier League and enter the Zingari combination, a trophy is a trophy and it doesn't matter who we play as long as we get some silverware.

A trophy is a trophy.

You're bizzare fella.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If we miss out, I'm not all that fussed to be honest. It's clear that we've got new owners willing to spend money now that we've fallen out of the top 4. If we can attract players (surely nobody comes to play UEFA Cup) then we'll be rocking next season.

I cannot understand why anyone would think that "concentrating on the league" whatever that actually means, is more beneficial than being in a European competition where you can give players games in a competitive environment whilst earning £20m plus.

It's like someone saying that if you finish fifth they'll pay for Suarez for you, and us saying "Nah, you're alright, I'm not sure I back our squad to be good enough to play well in the league, and in Europe".

Guest ShoePiss

Neither can I, I want us to win every competition we enter but some competitions are more important than others. Everyone bar myspaz accepts that anyway.

Oh and we don't make £20m plus from the UEFA cup but still, it's money in the bank rather than not.