You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Its crazy, if anywhere we were already fairly strong on the pitch it was CM, so we go out and seem to try and buy another 5 CM's. Adam, Henderson, McCarthy and threaten to bring Aquilani back. No wingers yet and no strikers and despite what the majority would say I'd rather have Ngog than Wickham myself although would rather we went out and bought another Suarez. We also still need a left back and perhaps another centre back.

Still early days like but it surely would be a silly mistake to sell Raul, he is clearly better than most in the Prem and will only get better next year, he has all the experience. I mean where would he go to anyway? Very odd.

We've got too many CM players, but you moan about selling Ming?

And in any case we weren't strong enough in CM, which is why we bought Henderson and will buy another. And we'll be getting a CB and LB too.

And as for preferring Eggnog to Wickham. For fuck's sake.

Its crazy, if anywhere we were already fairly strong on the pitch it was CM, so we go out and seem to try and buy another 5 CM's. Adam, Henderson, McCarthy and threaten to bring Aquilani back. No wingers yet and no strikers and despite what the majority would say I'd rather have Ngog than Wickham myself although would rather we went out and bought another Suarez. We also still need a left back and perhaps another centre back.

Still early days like but it surely would be a silly mistake to sell Raul, he is clearly better than most in the Prem and will only get better next year, he has all the experience. I mean where would he go to anyway? Very odd.

McCarthy? No chance are we after him.

Adam. Downing and Dann would be a let down. I could make a case for signing one of them. But all 3 would still give us what we have now. A sixth place squad.

Carroll - £35m

Henderson - £16m

Downing - £15/18m

Adam - £7/9m

Dann - £8/10m

£80mill + on British players, ace.

Edited by J-V

Adam. Downing and Dann would be a let down. I could make a case for signing one of them. But all 3 would still give us what we have now. A sixth place squad.

I really gotta disagree... Downing is much better than Kuyt/Maxi/Joe Cole/Jovanovic on the flanks.

That signing alone gives us a starting XI that will push for 4th place.

Remember, we don't have too much trouble against the 'top teams' but we've got a big problem breaking down the little fish. The little fish are the kinda teams that Downing will help us rip apart.

Adam? His set piece delivery will win us points alone.

Dann? I feel that he's better than Skrtel.

I don't understand this kind of an argument. I think many of us would agree that had we appointed Kenny in the summer instead of Hodgson, we would have given 4th a real fight - especially looking at the way Arsenal crumbled at the end.

We nearly got 5th too after being in relegation zone early January.

Adam, Downing and Dann will considerably improve our squad/1st team. They are certainly not world beaters but they are good players who will give the manager decent options to work with.

EDIT: Unrighteous beat me to it

Would rather we upgraded on Downing, however, what I will say is this, regardless of pace he would offer the same type of delivery and width that Beckham did, and a lack of pace didn't affect him too much. If he has Clichy behind him offering pace then that looks a very good left hand side to me.

Really don't see the point in Adam, to be honest!

Would rather we upgraded on Downing, however, what I will say is this, regardless of pace he would offer the same type of delivery and width that Beckham did, and a lack of pace didn't affect him too much. If he has Clichy behind him offering pace then that looks a very good left hand side to me.

Really don't see the point in Adam, to be honest!

Agreed.

I don't see the point of Adam either to be honest even though I rate him as a player. We already have Raul and Gerrard who can do the job better than Adam. Even if we sell Raul, Gerrard is miles better at the type of job Adam does.

Agreed.

I don't see the point of Adam either to be honest even though I rate him as a player. We already have Raul and Gerrard who can do the job better than Adam. Even if we sell Raul, Gerrard is miles better at the type of job Adam does.

It sounds like Meireles wants higher wages, and we've told him no, to be honest.

I reckon we've signed Henderson to play on the Raul role, and Adam will be Gerrard's backup/rotate there...

Adams is gonna be our new Molby. Just sit in the centre circle and spray the ball around. Everyone will know he's there, so he'll be the easy outlet all the time.

Plus he'll drop the ball on Andy's head from every corner, so we're laughin'.

Better squad players than what we've got now.

Adam is better than Poulsen, Dann is better than Kyrigiakos and Downing is better than any winger at the club.

We're on the brink here of actually having a strong squad with players in every position for the first time in years yet people are moaning.

Better squad players than what we've got now.

Adam is better than Poulsen, Dann is better than Kyrigiakos and Downing is better than any winger at the club.

We're on the brink here of actually having a strong squad with players in every position for the first time in years yet people are moaning.

cos if we want to get back into the top 4 we need better

Against a weaker side we could see something like this...

..................Reina.............

.Johnson-Carra-Agger-Clichy.

...............Gerrard.............

......Henderson...Adam........

..Suarez................Downing.

..............Carroll...............

We should be able to solve any lower bracket team with that set up.

Suarez coming into the 'slot' behind Carroll leaving space for Johnson or Henderson to run into...

Aguero is our man, available now, just think of a front three of Suarez, Carroll and Aguero - Vidic will shit himself.....

I do agree on Raul, but if it is to get Banega I would still think it is a good move, if it is to make room for Henderson am very sceptical.....

I think we are looking long term; first we need to get top 4, once we're back in CL we then go for replacements that will only come once we are there - these being mostly yer big name european stars - but we have to get in to the big time again before we can do this.

Against a weaker side we could see something like this...

..................Reina.............

.Johnson-Carra-Agger-Clichy.

...............Gerrard.............

......Henderson...Adam........

..Suarez................Downing.

..............Carroll...............

We should be able to solve any lower bracket team with that set up.

Suarez coming into the 'slot' behind Carroll leaving space for Johnson or Henderson to run into...

Gerrard as a holding midfielder? No thanks.