You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Guest PurpleNose
...lets put this another way.

If I cook a steak diane and comes out great but then try cooking a pepper steak knowing what I have done before (be it a little tender or hard) odds on state that I will make an equally delicious steak.

What if you've only got corned beef?

Just because Maxi et al, who were playing well below their best, improved under Dalglish, it doesn't mean that Downing is going to improve. In fact, it has no relevance on Downing at all.

Maxi has proven in his career that he's quality, he had it in him. Downing, who has proven through his career that he is pretty average, doesn't.

Downing has been playing well, not average. But thats a matter of opinion.

I have faith in our coaching set up to bring out the best in players and I do feel that Downing will be a great addition to our first team.

What if you've only got corned beef?

Then you try your best, may I suggest this:

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Ingredients

3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet

10 small red potatoes

5 carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces

1 large head cabbage, cut into small wedges

Directions

1.Place corned beef in large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water. Add the spice packet that came with the corned beef. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender.

2.Add whole potatoes and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are almost tender. Add cabbage and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove meat and let rest 15 minutes.

3.Place vegetables in a bowl and cover. Add as much broth (cooking liquid reserved in the Dutch oven or large pot) as you want. Slice meat across the grain.

Guest PurpleNose
Then you try your best, may I suggest this:

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Ingredients

3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet

10 small red potatoes

5 carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces

1 large head cabbage, cut into small wedges

Directions

1.Place corned beef in large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water. Add the spice packet that came with the corned beef. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender.

2.Add whole potatoes and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are almost tender. Add cabbage and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove meat and let rest 15 minutes.

3.Place vegetables in a bowl and cover. Add as much broth (cooking liquid reserved in the Dutch oven or large pot) as you want. Slice meat across the grain.

Sounds hideous. I'll buy some steak.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Downing has been playing well, not average. But thats a matter of opinion.

I have faith in our coaching set up to bring out the best in players and I do feel that Downing will be a great addition to our first team.

I absolutely value that opinion. I don't agree with you on this, but that's fine. Do you think he's going to bring 15-20m worth of improvement to the team?

Personally, I think we'll be talking about him in the same way we've talked about Cole, Pennent, Bellamy, Keane and the rest.

If it's a question of Young OR Downing then I think it should be taking into account who else we would be able to bring in as a wide player.

If rumours are true we're looking to bring in two wide men. Marin and Mata seems to go more through the middle as I see it. One of them would be a good alternative to young and Downing.

It seems unlikely that we'll buy both Young and Downing, but it can't be ruled out I suppose?

Who would Kenny want the most will probably decide it if it's a straight choice between the two?

Well, you said 'when' he joins he 'will' surprise us. I'm just saying that, based on his very low scoring career, I think it's going to take quite a turn around for an ageing Downing to provide much of a surprise.

It's not that I don't rate him, he's a solid player who does the basics well. He has made a reasonable career out of being unremarkable. £15m for him is quite a price. Do you think he's the sort of player that'll bring us the title?

Time will tell whether we actually pay that sort of money - or if we get him at all.

If Downing is so unremarkable i'm interested to hear what you think makes Young a world class player? Pace?

Fuck me. Sorry mate but that is pathetic. He's nothing like riera.

Some fucking mongs in this thread.

It was tongue in cheek comment though Downing is nothing more then an OK player at best. I agree with Número Veinticinco if signed he'll end up another Pennant, Cole or Keane.

Guest PurpleNose
It was tongue in cheek comment though Downing is nothing more then an OK player at best.

No, no. You're a fucking mong now.

From what I remember Dave saying a while back, Kenny is keen on Downing and Comolli is more keen on Young. Downing is the natural left-footer of the two though, so in that sense he would be a more logical signing. I wouldn't count us out in the race for Young, but he has expressed a preference for Utd in the past. It seems to me like we have a pretty long list of left sided players that we're looking at and it's hard to say which one will end up joining. Looks like it's between:

Downing

Gervinho

Marin

Young

Mata

...and maybe some others.

I've listed those in order of likelihood, but that's just my opinion. For what it's worth I think Downing is a good player who would fit right into our system. He's never going to be popular among people who want us to sign the popular big name of the moment (Hazard, Sanchez etc.) but we have very little chance of signing those players anyway. No doubt we will have sounded them out, but with no CL football to offer and other clubs throwing stupid amounts of money at them we will be near the back of the queue.

Guest PurpleNose
Pennant would have been a better example :whistle:

Downing fucking stinks of Pennant.

So much so its suspicious.

£15M is a bit excessive, but I rate Downing, always have done. He's not the jaw dropping world class quality of Suarez or Torres of '07, but you don't need an entire team of that to win things do you.

He's intelligent, a good passer and can put in a vicious cross. Plus I trust Kennys judgement.

From what I remember Dave saying a while back, Kenny is keen on Downing and Comolli is more keen on Young. Downing is the natural left-footer of the two though, so in that sense he would be a more logical signing. I wouldn't count us out in the race for Young, but he has expressed a preference for Utd in the past. It seems to me like we have a pretty long list of left sided players that we're looking at and it's hard to say which one will end up joining. Looks like it's between:

Downing

Gervinho

Marin

Young

Mata

...and maybe some others.

I've listed those in order of likelihood, but that's just my opinion. For what it's worth I think Downing is a good player who would fit right into our system. He's never going to be popular among people who want us to sign the popular big name of the moment (Hazard, Sanchez etc.) but we have very little chance of signing those players anyway. No doubt we will have sounded them out, but with no CL football to offer and other clubs throwing stupid amounts of money at them we will be near the back of the queue.

I agree with you, Downing is perfect for our new style. If he signs it will be interesting to see how it goes 'cos he's polarised the fans already!

Villa haven't exactly had the best of season though have they? I know Young plays in this same team but he has previously played his part in a Villa side that has been challenging for the top four during the past two or three seasons, Downing has never played at that level. Downing, at the moment is proving nothing more than Scott Parker and Charlie Adam i.e. a good player in a poor team. 15 million would be a huge risk, but if he comes with Marin, Hazzard then maybe he would be a success.

Personally, I think we can do better, in fact I think we can do better and cheaper than Downing, I would have very happy with two from Marin, Young and Mata, very heppy.

Guest PurpleNose
On what basis?

One dimensional, limited, average, occasionally overrated, wide midfielders, of a similar age, who have found their level at mid table clubs.