You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Downing won 3 awards at their presentation evening on Monday. The Villa players all rate him really highly. That's a good indication if his ability for me as well.

Other than 'best player' i would think that the relevance is pretty slight for the other two!

As I say, using this seasons performance as a barometer is very dangerous, this is a Villa side that is still not clear or relegation.

One dimensional, limited, average, occasionally overrated, wide midfielders, of a similar age, who have found there level at mid table clubs.

I assume you're going by what everyone else says, without actually watching him yourself?

Guest PurpleNose
I assume you're going by what everyone else says, without actually watching him yourself?

Yes. Never seen Downing play.

Other than 'best player' i would think that the relevance is pretty slight for the other two!

As I say, using this seasons performance as a barometer is very dangerous, this is a Villa side that is still not clear or relegation.

They all count and 2 of them were big awards - Players Player and Fans Player. Not sure what the performance of the whole team has to do with his individual performances. Villa have been shit but he's been really good.

Downing would walk through fire to play for us - I don't think that's the case with Young as he would have more options.

I'm warming to the idea of Downing, but surely we need at least 2 more attacking players. If Kenny is hooked on Downing then why not, really. He would know what we need.

They all count and 2 of them were big awards - Players Player and Fans Player. Not sure what the performance of the whole team has to do with his individual performances. Villa have been shit but he's been really good.

Look at the thread resurected this week on Murphy winning Player of the year in 2003, the criticism was that his performance was skewed by the poor performance of the team. I am not sure that given Villa's performances this season that his individual contribution towards a team that has been battling relegation should be taken as proof of his ability!

I don't think he will sign anyway, I think Young is leaving and therefore Downing will not.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If Downing is so unremarkable i'm interested to hear what you think makes Young a world class player? Pace?

Well, if you tell me where I called Young a 'world class player', or anything like it, then I'll be happy to back argument up to the hilt, moofster.

Look at the thread resurected this week on Murphy winning Player of the year in 2003, the criticism was that his performance was skewed by the poor performance of the team. I am not sure that given Villa's performances this season that his individual contribution towards a team that has been battling relegation should be taken as proof of his ability!

I don't think he will sign anyway, I think Young is leaving and therefore Downing will not.

It could easily be the other way around mate with Downing getting a move and Young having to stay there.

I absolutely value that opinion. I don't agree with you on this, but that's fine. Do you think he's going to bring 15-20m worth of improvement to the team?

Personally, I think we'll be talking about him in the same way we've talked about Cole, Pennent, Bellamy, Keane and the rest.

What if I told you that he had the potential to become that player?

Is Andy Carroll a 35 million rated player today??

Guest Numero Veinticinco
What if I told you that he had the potential to become that player?

Is Andy Carroll a 35 million rated player today??

Andy Carroll is 12* Stewart Dowing is 54*, and that makes a big difference. I Think Carroll was at least 15m too much, but at least he's just turned 22. By the time Downing starts the season, he'll be 27. Downing and 'potential' are a bit far fetched in my opinion.

*ish

Edited by Numero Veinticinco

IMO Downing would be an ok signing but he's not the wide/attacking player we really need.

I still can't get the potential comparison from what Kenny is trying for now & what we had in 87. In that regards Downing would be a left sided Ray Houghton, but we are still a 'Barnes' short of really challenging for the title next season.

not sure on downing last few seasons everybody was saying he was shite, he has one good season and now we need him. He would need to keep doing what he is doing this season otherwise he would be another waste of time. I would be looking elsewhere. We will pay over the odds as he has played one good season

Stop putting Young and Downing in the same sentence. Young is a very good player, Downing isn't. Downing isn't better than what we have now.

The only thing I can see Young has that Downing hasn't is excessive pace.

Earlier in the thread you were saying we should only sign world class players because otherwise we won't catch United and Chelsea. I'd rather a balanced side that works it's socks off and is completely committed to Kenny and LFC.

When we were eating up trophies in the 70's and 80's we didn't have teams full of individual superstars, rather confident teams that trusted each other completely and had a work rate that was unrivalled. Of course there was always a few exceptional individuals but it's more important to build a team on honest-hard working values than individual flair. IMO.

Downing would fit into that idea better than Young.