You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

To make us feel better !!!

riafbadmig

This is from last nights echo by Andy Gray - made me laff.

I know everything in the world is our fault and this just takes it to a new level !!!!

Im off to read Britian Bitterest and trial and tribulations from the pit again

"ARSENAL now stand alone as proud possessors of the long-est unbeaten record from the start of an English league season.

And I would be very surprised if that record does not stand for a long, long time.

But it is unfair and impossible to compare the modern Arsenal side with the teams the Gunners claimed the record from.

Leeds United of the 70s and Liverpool of 1988 were the best teams of their era, and that is all you can say.

I am sure the Liverpool of 1988 would have been just as successful today as they were then, while this current Arsenal team would have been just as impressive in the 80s.

Today's Arsenal are clearly more powerful and faster about the field than the old Leeds and Liverpool, because that is the way the game has gone in recent years.

But in terms of technique, talent and ability you cannot separate the sides.

But I would like to champion the claims of my old Everton team of the mid-1980s, a side which has never really received the credit it deserves because of the tragic events which overshadowed the end of the 1984-85 season.

We cannot claim to be as good as the Arsenal team of today or the Liverpool team of the 80s because we did not enjoy the kind of unbeaten run they did.

But we did manage to go 28 matches unbeaten in all competitions and only ended that run when we had clinched the championship and had quite a few players on international duty.

We did not really take those last few games seriously and in hindsight it would have been nice to have gone on and maybe challenged for a share of the all-time record.

I certainly believe that Everton team which almost won the treble deserves far more credit than it ever received.

We beat one of the best teams in Europe to get to the European Cup Winners' Cup Final and we were desperately disappointed that we were not allowed to go on and try to do what our neighbours had done across the park and have a go at the big one - the European Cup.

We're sure we would have gone close.

The bitterness comes shining through as usual, but what he says is spot on. They were some fvcking side Everton, back then.

They were nowhere near the level we hit in '88 imo, but they were still a fvcking swesome team on tehir day. I;d say better than te current Arsenal one anyway.

I may be biased but I honestly think that our class of '88 was THE finest club side to ever take to any pitch anywhere. Damn shame we didn't have the chance to walk all over Europe! Grr.

The bitterness comes shining through as usual, but what he says is spot on. They were some fvcking side Everton, back then.

They were nowhere near the level we hit in '88 imo, but they were still a fvcking swesome team on tehir day. I;d say better than te current Arsenal one anyway.

Agreed Tom.

I may be biased but I honestly think that our class of '88 was THE finest club side to ever take to any pitch anywhere.

It wasn't as good as the 1979 vintage mate. In my humblest opinion, greatest club side ever seen in England.

Damn shame we didn't have the chance to walk all over Europe! Grr.

Fooking redsh*te, Heysel robbed us blah blah blah ;)

Agreed Tom.

It wasn't as good as the 1979 vintage mate. In my humblest opinion, greatest club side ever seen in England.

Fooking redsh*te, Heysel robbed us blah blah blah ;)

Both different teams though really arent't they?

The 1979 team was quite simply a machine. Organised beyond comprehension. Solid, reliable and almost mechanical in their efficiency.

The '88 team were a relentless attacking, fluid and emotive team.

I suppose both teams have their merits, and if my life depended on one of those teams winning a match then i suppose I too would choose the '79 boys, just because they were so damn efficient and ruthless. But when it comes to awesome football and the sheer thrill of the game then it'd have to be the '88 team for me.

I guess we're just spoilt to be even having this debate!

Gray: 'I certainly believe that Everton team which almost won the treble deserves far more credit than it ever received'.

Yes mr Gray, lets look at all the almost teams and complain about the credit that they deserved but didn't get (Liverpool almost winning the double in 88 and 89...)

Conversely, I think that the Man U team that won the treble gets far more credit than they deserve, and I feel bitter that there's not more critisism of that team. OK, fair enough they walked away with the league but their FA cup and European cup vicories were only achieved through the ritual slaughter of goals, hence sealing their deal with Satan and allowing them to receive more luck than it's possible to get (according to the formula Luck = 2.3 x zy/games/woodwork hit by opposition/goats/last minute winners/penalty saves/wondergoals).

Both different teams though really arent't they?

The 1979 team was quite simply a machine. Organised beyond comprehension. Solid, reliable and almost mechanical in their efficiency.

The '88 team were a relentless attacking, fluid and emotive team.

I suppose both teams have their merits, and if my life depended on one of those teams winning a match then i suppose I too would choose the '79 boys, just because they were so damn efficient and ruthless. But when it comes to awesome football and the sheer thrill of the game then it'd have to be the '88 team for me.

I guess we're just spoilt to be even having this debate!

They talk of that Man Utd midfield that won the Treble in 1999 as the best ever.

I'll tell you this - Keane wouldn't have lasted 30 seconds against ANY of the midfield from the 1979 team (Case, McDermott, Souness and Kennedy). All fantastic footballers, all as hard as Rocco's knob when's he plunging Jenna Jameson's depths (I am sure you'd appreciate that one). ;)