You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy : Confident of Gerrard staying

DannyCool

Guest TK-421
What are you talking about?

I think the club is trying to prepare the fans for the worst by putting out lots of positive press like this, either on the official website or through people like Maddock.

We will find out more during the rest of the transfer window.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny the fans seems so determined that Gerrard is going when all the evidence shows quite the oppositie.

Broughton has said we don't need to sell our best players, Carragher has said he thinks he will stay, Gerrard is happy with Hodgson, the new manager has met the player and he is delighted with how that meeting went.

But people still seem to think it is more likely he will go... bizarre if you ask me.

Funny the fans seems so determined that Gerrard is going when all the evidence shows quite the oppositie.

Broughton has said we don't need to sell our best players, Carragher has said he thinks he will stay, Gerrard is happy with Hodgson, the new manager has met the player and he is delighted with how that meeting went.

But people still seem to think it is more likely he will go... bizarre if you ask me.

True that

Guest TK-421

Broughton has said we don't need to sell our best players..

I feel better already.

What did you expect Hodgson to say?

"Yes, I met Stevie and it was a right bummer. He's probably off, but we got some good years out of him, and we'll never lose those memories. Now if you'll excuse me I'm off out to hunt for vole".

Actually there is - the contract he has - there's nothing to suggest he's decided to leave though.

exactly, the last week or so everyone on here is saying Gerrard and Torres should come out and say if they are going or staying and now Roy has come out and said he thinks they will stay its looks positive,people still aren't happy now its the yanks will sell them, if (i only know what was said on broughtons interview)its true that the yanks cannot refuse a bid for the club then you assume they have been removed from the equation therefore they cannot ok player sales behind the managers back so instead of people double guessing everytime a thread is put on lets just take Roys word for it he thinks they will stay its the first comment about Stevies and nandos future from the manager so he must be pretty sure about it otherwise he'd have just said nothing no-one forced him to say it.

Also SG said on 5 Live he would be staying. It was back in May.

However, the same people who filled their cupboards up with tinned foods during sars and then bird flu and then swine flu will keep listening to the media and panicking chicken licken style over every 'rumour' till the window is closed.

No point saying anything... they're happiest like that.

Also SG said on 5 Live he would be staying. It was back in May.

However, the same people who filled their cupboards up with tinned foods during sars and then bird flu and then swine flu will keep listening to the media and panicking chicken licken style over every 'rumour' till the window is closed.

No point saying anything... they're happiest like that.

Didn't he also say something similar in the season ticket pack? Saying he was looking forward to the new season or something?!

exactly, the last week or so everyone on here is saying Gerrard and Torres should come out and say if they are going or staying and now Roy has come out and said he thinks they will stay its looks positive,people still aren't happy now its the yanks will sell them, if (i only know what was said on broughtons interview)its true that the yanks cannot refuse a bid for the club then you assume they have been removed from the equation therefore they cannot ok player sales behind the managers back so instead of people double guessing everytime a thread is put on lets just take Roys word for it he thinks they will stay its the first comment about Stevies and nandos future from the manager so he must be pretty sure about it otherwise he'd have just said nothing no-one forced him to say it.

Yeah but didn't stop the sale of Yossi or the sacking of Rafa occurring at massive cost,someone is in charge and making big decisions. No one's forcing Roy to say anything but why would he have to convince them to stay when if all bids are going to be rejected then he would not have to worry about bids, Roy seems to have no idea what is going on at the top of the club and ultimately is he has to plead with stars to stay then it seems it is out of his hands, unlike Rafa who had a veto, make no mistake someone wants to makes some sales and get some lira.

Tru dat.

Gerrard will be well aware that there are rumours about him leaving (again). He will be well aware that the rumours are upsetting to the fans who have supported him through thick and thin. He could put a stop to the rumours in an instant by picking up the phone to lfc.tv or some journo. His world cup excuse for his silence is no more.

Unless you are particularly gullible or wish only to dwell in a happy world of your own imagining, there is only one conclusion - he is keeping his options open at the moment. He won't decide to go unless he gets an offer he fancies. He won't decide to stay until it becomes clear he's not going to get such an offer.

Like Hermes says, the club should force him to commit one way or the other over the next couple of weeks.

Gerrard will be well aware that there are rumours about him leaving (again). He will be well aware that the rumours are upsetting to the fans who have supported him through thick and thin. He could put a stop to the rumours in an instant by picking up the phone to lfc.tv or some journo. His world cup excuse for his silence is no more.

Unless you are particularly gullible or wish only to dwell in a happy world of your own imagining, there is only one conclusion - he is keeping his options open at the moment. He won't decide to go unless he gets an offer he fancies. He won't decide to stay until it becomes clear he's not going to get such an offer.

Like Hermes says, the club should force him to commit one way or the other over the next couple of weeks.

Good post

In 2004, Gerrard had made the decision to leave whilst he was in Portugal, the first opportunity that he had to speak to Rick Parry he said that he wanted to leave and we decided to accept the offer from Chelsea.

He has spoken to Hodgson and has not told him he wants to leave! Sorry but that to me suggest he is staying, maybe he, like the rest of us, is thinking 'just keep them on their toes' make sure that they get the players that we need.

My view is he's happy to stay but on the basis he's not commiting publically he would be interested in Real Madrid if they could negotiate an agreement with the club ie if it suited everyone he'd consider going but otherwise he'll stay.

Until he publically commits there is a possibility he'll go and that will also be dependent on whether Torres stays and if we sell Masch do we reinvest those fund on quality replacements.

If only it was that simple.

SG did provide quotes and to the BBC. The interview went out live and he said he would stay. The BBC did not include what he said which could be heard on the radio in any of their online reports but those of us listening to 5 live heard it.

It was covered on Anfield road, and they said 'the way it sounded on the radio sounded quite genuine'. However, on Anfield Rd they also said, and with no malice, that you couldn't necessarily believe what he said.

the story is here:-

anfieldroad.com/news/201005223669/gerrard-yes-ill-be-at-liverpool-next-season.html

So if what he says, is not reported by the journo and not necessarily believed by the fans - then it begs the question 'what the fuck is the point in saying anything?'

The rumours will not stop and with no disrespect you have to be gullible to believe the media and others will stop circulating them.

The main thing is, SG is talking to Roy, he has a contract and he has said he will stay. The club could still sell him, there are unknowns in this situation. Unknowns an unlimited number of statements from SG won't resolve. People choose what they will believe in the end regardless.

Gerrard is not going to tell Hodgson that he is leaving for two good reasons:

1. No team has asked to buy him. Hodgson knows this.

2. If he were to receive an offer - something I find unlikely - he would not talk to Hodgson about it, but to Purslow.

The radio interview didn't convince me at all. When he was asked if he'll still be at the club he just pointed out he was under contract. Mentioning contracts isn't the best way to say you're happy staying. The LFC magazine interview with Hodgson was really quite clever, I think, as it now leaves Gerrard in a position where his continuing silence is no longer what it was: unless he comes out and contradicts Hodgson's take on their meeting, he'll appear to have agreed with it. IMHO that's a pretty smart way to snatch the initiative away from him.

The radio interview didn't convince me at all. When he was asked if he'll still be at the club he just pointed out he was under contract. Mentioning contracts isn't the best way to say you're happy staying. The LFC magazine interview with Hodgson was really quite clever, I think, as it now leaves Gerrard in a position where his continuing silence is no longer what it was: unless he comes out and contradicts Hodgson's take on their meeting, he'll appear to have agreed with it. IMHO that's a pretty smart way to snatch the initiative away from him.

So we're trying to trick him into staying?

"I anticipate there might be a situation where other big clubs will try and sign Steven, but he gave no indication that he wanted to leave.

"Nobody at the club wants him to go so I will be doing my utmost to make sure he stays. I am confident he will."

This is the crucial bit as regards SG. Sounds like there could be a big bid coming for him and Stevie still hasn't told Roy exactly what he's gonna do if /when that happens. Still, it seems positive because Roy wont look good if he says he's confident SG will stay and then SG leaves. That would make ROY look weak IMO. Or, looking at it negatively (which lets face it, its hard not to do lately) maybe he's trying to get good favour with the supporters before SG leaves.

As regards Torres, i still think he will leave but i'm hoping that his (so far) abysmal world cup form will keep him at LFC out of hurt pride.

"I anticipate there might be a situation where other big clubs will try and sign Steven, but he gave no indication that he wanted to leave.

"Nobody at the club wants him to go so I will be doing my utmost to make sure he stays. I am confident he will."

This is the crucial bit as regards SG. Sounds like there could be a big bid coming for him and Stevie still hasn't told Roy exactly what he's gonna do if /when that happens. Still, it seems positive because Roy wont look good if he says he's confident SG will stay and then SG leaves. That would make ROY look weak IMO. Or, looking at it negatively (which lets face it, its hard not to do lately) maybe he's trying to get good favour with the supporters before SG leaves.

As regards Torres, i still think he will leave but i'm hoping that his (so far) abysmal world cup form will keep him at LFC out of hurt pride.

No the crucial bit for me was that Hodgson made a point of not putting Gerrard in a position where he had to say yes or no. They won't put the squeeze on until they have some indication of what's going to happen with the sale.

Well he will need to decide soon because he has family to consider what with his girl starting school in September.