You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Am I right in thinking a lot of charities are run by money-grabbing cunts?

I've known charity fundraisers who earned 50k-a-year, the irony wasn't lost on me. According to Peter Osborne's 'triumph of the political class', the 'third sector' is often the destination of choice for the cunts once they're tired of their New Labour thinktanks.

Some are mate, this used to be a fairly well respected charity.

I've known charity fundraisers who earned 50k-a-year, the irony wasn't lost on me. According to Peter Osborne's 'triumph of the political class', the 'third sector' is often the destination of choice for the cunts once they're tired of their New Labour thinktanks.

I'm writing this off the top of my head...I dont have figures to hand...but 'charities' conjure up, for me at least, pictures of philanthropic organisations run on a shoesstring budget; this is far from the truth with many charities being multi million pound structures that are increasingly providing first line services as local authorities become contractors rather than service providers.

Fundraisers play an essential role in securing funding streams in a crowded and volatile market. £50k a year is money well spent if they are bringing in revenue to maintain and develop services

Massive world of difference between the large charities, NSPCCA/rspca etc and small local charities such as Freshfeilds or JOSPICE etc

Support your local charities they cant just pack up and fuck off like the big nationals and if they go they go.

I dont know if it applies in the UK but in the US their classical tax dodge is for a company to set up a charity and the CEO of that company becomes the head of the charity too.

The dodge I believe is to forego a salary as CEO of the company but to take a wage from the charity,which goes untaxed as its exempt or highly reduced.I'm guessing also a family member,maybe a wife could be installed as head of the charity and receive an untaxed wage to balance out the tax paid on the CEO's salary.

Like I say,I'm not certain if this still applies over here.

I don't think that has ever applied here, it's not something I'm familiar with. Straightforward charitable donation was the classic tax dodge over here, and now everyone is kicking off because the government wants to tighten that particular loophole.

I'd sooner see the lower paid taken out of tax, which is happening too. But things like this definitely help:

Bank's £500m tax loophole closed by Treasury in rare retrospective action | Business | The Guardian

I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason why Labour didn't close loopholes like this between 1997 and 2010. Of course there must be.

Erm, isn't the code of conduct that Barclays were trying to squirm out of the one that Labour wrote up during the banking crisis? Also, it isn't closing a loophole if the taxee has to own up to you with the information just because they've taken the piss even more than all the other banks have.

Interesting that you're keen on retrospective taxation but not on re-nationalisation of swindled national assets by leftie administrations. Don't they both come from the same moral point?

Erm, isn't the code of conduct that Barclays were trying to squirm out of the one that Labour wrote up during the banking crisis? Also, it isn't closing a loophole if the taxee has to own up to you with the information just because they've taken the piss even more than all the other banks have.

Interesting that you're keen on retrospective taxation but not on re-nationalisation of swindled national assets by leftie administrations. Don't they both come from the same moral point?

He's morally void so will probably struggle to answer.

Voluntary codes are all well and good, but they don't have the power that legislation does.

Do you have any particular swindled national assets in mind?

He's morally void so will probably struggle to answer.

Any need? You don't know the first thing about me and nowhere near enough to make statements like that.

BBC News - Trial collapses at Snaresbrook court after interpreter error

A trial at a London court has collapsed after an interpreter mistakenly wrote down the wrong evidence.

A Romanian defendant giving evidence at Snaresbrook Crown Court said the claimant had "beaten them" but the interpreter wrote down "bitten".

The mistake came to light once the prosecution questioned the defendant. The judge has now ordered a retrial.

It comes as a new contract privatising court translation services in England and Wales has come into force.

Defence solicitor Dhaneshwar Sharma said the interpreter told the court she realised she had made a mistake but had kept quiet about it.

When the prosecution cross-examined the defendant on Friday, towards the end of the four-day trial for burglary, they asked for evidence of the defendant being bitten.

The defendant then said they had been "beaten".

Mr Sharma said it was bad that a re-trial had to take place as not only had the victim had to recover from the experience, but they would now have to go through the alleged incident for a third time, having already given evidence at this week's trial.

The retrial could cost £25,000.

'Unacceptable problems'

The Crown Prosecution Service said a retrial had been ordered for next week, starting on Wednesday, after the judge said the collapse of the trial was due to the interpreter.

The Professional Interpreters Alliance has said 60% of its members have boycotted work because of poor pay and working conditions.

It said this had led to incompetent interpreters being used in courts.

Previously interpreters received a flat fee of £85, a quarter-hourly rate after three hours, and were paid for travel time and expenses - but this has been replaced by hourly fees in three tiers of £16, £20 and £22 with no travel payments and reduced expenses.

The company awarded the contract - Applied Language Solutions (ALS) - has promised to cut the annual £60m translation bill by a third.

A Ministry of Justice spokesperson said: "There have been an unacceptable number of problems in the first weeks of the contract and we have asked the contractor to take urgent steps to improve performance.

"They have put measures in place to resolve these issues and we have already seen a marked improvement."

A spokeswoman for ALS - recently bought by the outsourcing firm Capita - said although it could not comment on individual cases, any complaints received would be "investigated thoroughly".

The spokeswoman said interpreters could then either be removed from the register, reinstated or provided with further training.

I don't believe that for a second. Anyone who holds true to GCSE textbooks knows that if you privatise a public service it makes it more efficient. it certainly doesn't just mean it gets shit and cheap whilst a director takes his wedge out of money destined for the good of all.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Privatisation = competition = lower prices, better service and more efficiency. It's almost as if big business had written it themselves.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

YouGov has LDs as the fourth party in politics, with UKIP overtaking them. If it weren't so fucking tragic, it'd be funny.

(This is where 'he' pops up to say how all polls are rubbish - unless LDs are doing well, that is - and that it'll all be okay because people will like what they're done in the end)

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yet another fair and reasonable argument. Nice to see you only giving verbal abuse in retaliation. Again.

Something tells me you might be a bit edgy tonight, given that your party isn't doing all that well.

Well, I do only give abuse in retaliation. That's what makes me such a fair and reasonable person, I never fire the first shot.

Additionally, as model of consistency, I will repeat the point I've made about polls on dozens of previous occasions: they are just polls, and some polls have more solid methodology than others. YouGov's is the least solid of all of all of them, but I honestly couldn't give a shit. They're meaningless. I know Labour shills like you live and die by polls, but don't be projecting your own insecurities onto me.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Well, I do only give abuse in retaliation. That's what makes me such a fair and reasonable person, I never fire the first shot.

That's a plain lie, and you've been picked up on it before.

Additionally, as model of consistency, I will repeat the point I've made about polls on dozens of previous occasions: they are just polls, and some polls have more solid methodology than others. YouGov's is the least solid of all of all of them, but I honestly couldn't give a shit. They're meaningless. I know Labour shills like you live and die by polls, but don't be projecting your own insecurities onto me.

I know a Nazi, authoritarian, Hitler-lover like you wouldn't understand this, but I've spent the last decade attempting to rip down the Labour party. To call me a shill, when I gave up pretty much any chance I ever had of becoming a politician due to my opposition of the Labour party's antics, is really quite ridiculous.

As for Insecurities, do you really want to go there?

That's a plain lie, and you've been picked up on it before.

Oh yeah, I called some idiot newbie a muppet once before, completely unprovoked. You sure got me there :whatever:

I know a Nazi, authoritarian, Hitler-lover like you wouldn't understand this

Yes, well done.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's a wider problem, Stronts. You consistently bring a bazooka to a stick fight. Somebody will say something subdued, you blaze in with the death-wishes, personal attacks and insults. It's pathetic for somebody who constantly repeats how great they are. It's quite obvious you want to gain some sort of respect. Act like somebody to be respected.

Just a heads up as I thought this may interest some of you. Went to see this the other week and it's a very powerful and interesting play. On this week on Friday and Saturday at The Lantern Theatre...

Edinburgh hit Dust comes to Liverpool’s Lantern Theatre

by Catherine Jones, Liverpool EchoApr 13 2012Add a comment Recommend

inShare

1Share on emailShare on print

IT proved a huge hit at last year’s Edinburgh Festival, and now Dust is on its way to Liverpool for a two-night stay.

Set in Arthur Scargill’s grace and favour flat in London, the show opens with the news Maggie Thatcher has died.

A visit from one of Scargill’s old comrades sets in motion an unleashing of memories and emotions connecting the past with present consequences.

The Quiden Productions show, written and directed by Ade Morris to mark the 30th anniversary of Arthur Scargill’s election as president of the NUM, explores the Thatcher legacy and the ongoing human cost of the miners’ strike on communities, and is ‘a humorous, tragic snapshot of Britain today’.

Is there the same fire in bellies today or did Arthur and Maggie extinguish the flames in their ideological clash?

Dust is at the Lantern Theatre in Blundell Street on April 20-21 at 7.30pm. Tickets £14/£12 on 0151-703 0000.

Read More Edinburgh hit Dust comes to Liverpool’s Lantern Theatre - ECHO Entertainment News - Entertainment - Liverpool Echo