You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Birth defects soar in Fallujah: local doctors

dennis tooth

Doctors in the Iraq city of Fallujah are reporting an unusually high amount of birth defects in the region, with many medical professionals saying the weapons used by US forces in the intense 2004 fighting are to blame. Heart and nervous system defects among newborn babies is said to have soared in the city in the years since the fighting, now at levels 13 times those of Europe. Doctors and parents interviewed by BBC say they believe toxic materials left over from the 2004 fighting entered the water supply in Fallujah. One doctor says medical officials note two or three cases of birth defects each day, and are urging local women not to have children.

There are no official figures documenting the rise, and the Iraqi government insists there are only one or two extra cases of birth defects per year in Fallujah, compared with the national average. There have been widespread charges that the US used white phosphorus and depleted uranium weapons in Fallujah. The US does not confirm these claims. (AHN, BBC News, March 4)

An alarming rise in cancer has been documented in Basra in recent years, and similar claims have also been raised in the Gaza Strip since last winter's Israeli offensive.

Doctors in the Iraq city of Fallujah are reporting an unusually high amount of birth defects in the region, with many medical professionals saying the weapons used by US forces in the intense 2004 fighting are to blame. Heart and nervous system defects among newborn babies is said to have soared in the city in the years since the fighting, now at levels 13 times those of Europe. Doctors and parents interviewed by BBC say they believe toxic materials left over from the 2004 fighting entered the water supply in Fallujah. One doctor says medical officials note two or three cases of birth defects each day, and are urging local women not to have children.

There are no official figures documenting the rise, and the Iraqi government insists there are only one or two extra cases of birth defects per year in Fallujah, compared with the national average. There have been widespread charges that the US used white phosphorus and depleted uranium weapons in Fallujah. The US does not confirm these claims. (AHN, BBC News, March 4)

An alarming rise in cancer has been documented in Basra in recent years, and similar claims have also been raised in the Gaza Strip since last winter's Israeli offensive.

Dennis, any links for the original source article for this?

Not doubting it's authenticity, would just like to have a look at the article. I remember seeing pictures on an Italian website (possibly for Rai Uno - Italian TV channel) showing the effects white phosphorus used by the U.S. Forces had on bombings victims. Not pleasant stuff.

Not to worry - found it by typing "birth defects fallujah" into Google. Who'da thunk it?

Seem highly coincidental that sharp rise in defects in direct correlation with the use of white phosphorus, for "illumination purposes" apparently.

Can't believe America haven't been held to task for this. Well, I can actually, but that's a different story...

Grim.

You only have to look at how the administration at the time handled the situation in New Orleans though, they didn't even care about their own people.

With the whole neocon movement it wasn't about borders, race, or even religion - it was about centralised power trying to exert its control for financial and material gain, and damn anyone who wasn't part of that project.

When you're viewing the forums page all you can see is "Birth defects soare in....." for some reason I was convinced that was going to say Warrington. Then I would read on to hear about crazy genetic mutations being spawned out of Warrington general like 'the kid with one head' and the 'kid who could hear'.

I'm not sure on the exact position, but it looks like the US will never be brought to task for their part in this. Apparently, the use of white phosphorus is illegal under international law only if it is used as an offensive weapon.

Obviously, the yanks will hide behind the "we only used at as an illuminative device to flash out the insurgents, Siree Bob" argument.

Also, would the use of white phosphorus as a weapon would constitute a war crime? Would such a war crime be judged and subsequently punished by the International Criminal Court? It just so happens that the US boycotts this court and therefore would not recognise it's jurisdiction.

Shocking.

Dennis, any links for the original source article for this?

Not doubting it's authenticity...

Well indeed, how could you doubt its authenticity?

Personally, I'm always assured when I read phrases like "no official figures", and the anonymous quotes from unnamed doctors really make me put my faith in them. The Iraqi government denials are just the icing on the cake! We all know governments only deny stuff when it's true, am i rite?

Yessir, no need for skepticism here. Confirmation bias is a myth invented by the Americans.

Well indeed, how could you doubt its authenticity?

Personally, I'm always assured when I read phrases like "no official figures", and the anonymous quotes from unnamed doctors really make me put my faith in them. The Iraqi government denials are just the icing on the cake! We all know governments only deny stuff when it's true, am i rite?

Yessir, no need for skepticism here. Confirmation bias is a myth invented by the Americans.

Dirkapologist!

Seems its currently being investigated by the World Health Organisation - lets hope the truth emerges whatever it may be.

Yes. Agreed. However, I can't see the Americans being absolved of any causative effect in this. They've already shown historically a complete disregard to civilians in armed conflict - Hiroshima, Vietnam. Now add Fallujah to the list.