You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UEFA Cup Draw - Who Do You Want?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. UEFA Cup Draw - Who Do You Want?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good thing in a lot of ways - the strength of opposition should hopefully make up for the lack of value placed on the competition. People have pointed out that we've potentially a harder route to the Europa League final than the mancs potentially have to theirs - if that's the case then hopefully the neutrals and the media will see it that way.*

*They won't.

My conversation with the Bitter Blue I sit opposite to at work when I told him who we had drawn Benfica went like this -

Me - Liverpool have been drawn against Benfica

Bitter Blue - Fucking lucky Redshite!

Me - What do you mean? They gave you a tough time.

Bitter Blue - Nah We should have beaten them at Goodison and got at least a draw at their place. (Everton lost 2 - 0 at home and 5 - 0 away)

Me - They beat you. Quite easily from what I saw.

Bitter Blue - No they never. And if we played them now, we'd hammer them. You've got the easiest draw possible.

Me - I don't think so.

Bitter Blue - It's a conspiracy. UEFA have fixed it. They always favour you.

Me - Again I don't think so.

Bitter Blue - It's like when they let you in through the back door into the Champions League in 2005-2006.

Me - Do you reckon?

Bitter Blue - Yeah. And then UEFA paid the ref off so we got knocked out in the qualifying round. A perfectly good goal disallowed! We were robbed!

Me - Well when you put it like that.

Bitter Blue - Platini loves Liverpool. French Redshite!

Me - Yeah I think he is a Liverpool fan.

Bitter Blue - Fucking Redshite!!!!!

My conversation with the Bitter Blue I sit opposite to at work when I told him who we had drawn Benfica went like this -

Me - Liverpool have been drawn against Benfica

Bitter Blue - Fucking lucky Redshite!

Me - What do you mean? They gave you a tough time.

Bitter Blue - Nah We should have beaten them at Goodison and got at least a draw at their place. (Everton lost 2 - 0 at home and 5 - 0 away)

Me - They beat you. Quite easily from what I saw.

Bitter Blue - No they never. And if we played them now, we'd hammer them. You've got the easiest draw possible.

Me - I don't think so.

Bitter Blue - It's a conspiracy. UEFA have fixed it. They always favour you.

Me - Again I don't think so.

Bitter Blue - It's like when they let you in through the back door into the Champions League in 2005-2006.

Me - Do you reckon?

Bitter Blue - Yeah. And then UEFA paid the ref off so we got knocked out in the qualifying round. A perfectly good goal disallowed! We were robbed!

Me - Well when you put it like that.

Bitter Blue - Platini loves Liverpool. French Redshite!

Me - Yeah I think he is a Liverpool fan.

Bitter Blue - Fucking Redshite!!!!!

Ha, ha: I love the end of that conversation.

Can't believe people are sounding like Gus' workmate, and saying the mancs have got an easy draw.

If we'd drawn Bayern in this cup and they'd got Benfica in theirs would people really think we'd got it easier than them?

Bayern are a good team. And defo better than Benfica.

Ha, ha: I love the end of that conversation.

Can't believe people are sounding like Gus' workmate, and saying the mancs have got an easy draw.

If we'd drawn Bayern in this cup and they'd got Benfica in theirs would people really think we'd got it easier than them?

Bayern are a good team. And defo better than Benfica.

Three of the four weakest teams left in that competition were drawn with United on 'their side' of the bracket.

The four strongest teams left in the Europa League were drawn on our side of the bracket.

Three of the four weakest teams left in that competition were drawn with United on 'their side' of the bracket.

The four strongest teams left in the Europa League were drawn on our side of the bracket.

Those who seriously think Benfica are even comparable to Bayern M needs their head testing.

If the mancs had drawn Benfica people on here would be crying about the easy way the mancs got to the final.

Personally I think Bayern will beat the mancs.

wishful thinking there i'm afraid

i am happy with Benfica but not so happy about playing Valencia or Atletico in the semi's if we get through

also both 2nd leg's being at Anfield is massive result

We probably had to play Valencia sooner or later so if we can beat Benfica which I`m confident that we can, then we can just get them out of the way before the final.

For the mancs, we`ll have to wait and see.

Haven't got a good feeling about Benfica. If we respect them and play as well as we can, fine, but if we don't have respect and just plod through the first leg half arsed I think they'll do us over.

And if we get through and face Valencia (we could do that right? not checked yet.) Villa will make me poo. I rate that guy as properly on par with Torres (and even accept that he could actually be slightly better, but don't like to see it like that!) and he'll probably scare the shit out of me.

Those who seriously think Benfica are even comparable to Bayern M needs their head testing.

If the mancs had drawn Benfica people on here would be crying about the easy way the mancs got to the final.

Personally I think Bayern will beat the mancs.

I never said that Benfica were better than Bayern.

Top four teams left in CL: Inter, Barcelona, Arsenal, and Mancs.

Top four teams left in Europa League: Valencia, Atletico, Liverpool, and Benfica(Debatable with Wolfsburg's Dzeko, and Liege being a solid side).

Do you see what I'm saying now?

Edited by Unrighteous

Barca and Arse too, looks like we might see a good few Wenger tantrums! Hopefully he'll be shaking his fists around in the Nou Camp and going mad, because I want Barca to reclaim it. Could be a fucking amazing match though as they might let Arse play the way they want to to a certain degree, and they can play some great football.

Haven't got a good feeling about Benfica. If we respect them and play as well as we can, fine, but if we don't have respect and just plod through the first leg half arsed I think they'll do us over.

i agree - just like 2005-2006 in the CL

And if we get through and face Valencia (we could do that right? not checked yet.) Villa will make me poo. I rate that guy as properly on par with Torres (and even accept that he could actually be slightly better, but don't like to see it like that!) and he'll probably scare the shit out of me.

David Villa makes me do a little bit of sex wee

I never said that Benfica were better than Bayern.

Top four teams left in CL: Inter, Barcelona, Arsenal, and Mancs.

Top four teams left in Europa League: Valencia, Atletico, Liverpool, and Benfica(Debatable with Wolfsburg's Dzeko, and Liege being a solid side).

Do you see what I'm saying now?

It was not really aimed at you either to be honest, that said I disagree with your evaluation of the teams in the UEFA Cup, I`d rather play both Benfica and Atl Madrid than Wolfsburg or Hamburg.

It was not really aimed at you either to be honest, that said I disagree with your evaluation of the teams in the UEFA Cup, I`d rather play both Benfica and Atl Madrid than Wolfsburg or Hamburg.

Really? Aguero is a world class player. Dzeko MAY be one... but he's not got the pace to really kill us and has less talent around him.

Benfica have good, pacey attackers, and they attack very well and can hit us on the counter. They will not be an easy tie.

Hamburg are solid, but they're easily the poorest out of Wolfsburg, Atleti, and Benfica.

Valencia were the one team that I didn't want to play, they may be pants at the back, but they've got world class oozing through their attack.

I'd rather be against some of those CL sides than Valencia.

Really? Aguero is a world class player. Dzeko MAY be one... but he's not got the pace to really kill us and has less talent around him.

Benfica have good, pacey attackers, and they attack very well and can hit us on the counter. They will not be an easy tie.

Hamburg are solid, but they're easily the poorest out of Wolfsburg, Atleti, and Benfica.

Valencia were the one team that I didn't want to play, they may be pants at the back, but they've got world class oozing through their attack.

I'd rather be against some of those CL sides than Valencia.

Aguero might be a world class player, but Atl Madrid are far far away from being a world class team even if they gave us a lesson in pre-season.

Aguero might be a world class player, but Atl Madrid are far far away from being a world class team even if they gave us a lesson in pre-season.

With how inconsistent that we've been all season, all they need is Aguero to have two good matches.

Likewise, we would just need Torres to be on for two games to beat anyone.

I'd rather face Atleti than Valencia... Mata, Silva, Pablo, Villa? I'd just really rather not have our defense looking at that.

I agree about the Valencia attack, the reason I voted Valencia was because I want to see how a few of their players will do against us and because I see them as the strongest team apart from ourselves, if we want to win it we have to beat them sooner or later I guess and then I rather do it sooner.

hahah, was just thinking that maybe Wenger even did his shaking arms up and down thing as soon as the draw was announced. He might be a tit a lot of the time, but he's a great character, and he wants his team to play football in the right way. In fact, that guy could be perfect in spain.

I agree about the Valencia attack, the reason I voted Valencia was because I want to see how a few of their players will do against us and because I see them as the strongest team apart from ourselves, if we want to win it we have to beat them sooner or later I guess and then I rather do it sooner.

I'm actually hoping they have an off day in the 1st leg and they can't pull it back so we don't have to meet them. Agreed that it'd be better if we could beat them ourselves, but Villa just gives me the fear. Can you imagine us in the 2nd leg against them for 30 mins trying to hold on to a 1 goal advantage or something? Villa will badly fuck with our heads if he's given the right service and I'm hoping we avoid it. And that's even if we make it that far.