You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The last game he started was Unirea at home (18-02-2010), he was dragged off after 63 minutes of strutting around the pitch not looking the slightest bit bothered. I can forgive a player going through a bad patch and things not coming off, but he blatantly just couldn't be arsed that day.

He has was an used sub for City (a), Unirea (a), not in the squad for Blackburn (h), unused sub Wigan (a), played last 20 mins of Lille (a), and not in the squad for Portsmouth (h)…

The previous 6 games, he started 3 and was an unused sub for 3. He was and has always been part of Rafa’s match day squad, it’s up to him to show the desire and effort to do well enough to be in the next squad/starting line up….

he played well in some of the games after christmas and new year and then we signed maxi and he was dropped despite playing well I thought.

Babel looked good against unirea away. i thought he used the ball intelligently and didn't go on pointless meandering runs that culminated in him being dispossessed or running the ball out of play. He was back to doing that on Monday night in my opinion and aprt from the goal I didn't see much difference between what he did on Monday night and what he has done on umpteen other nights when he has started for us.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riera looks as though he's not learned a thing since he's been here. In that last match he acted as if he'd just arrived from Spain, wrecking attack after attack by collapsing in a heap because he knew he lacked the pace to go past a player and thought he'd buy a cheap free kick. The sight of him getting slowly back up as the opposition headed off in our direction really made me furious. I hope he's bombed out of the club.

Riera did not say that LFC is a sinking ship. In Spanish, he used that phrase with reference to himself. His comments were mainly about trying to save what he admitted were his already minimal chances of selection for Spanish WC squad. He made it very clear that that was the main cause of his angst.

He also did not say that it is amazing what the absence of Arbelo and Alonso had done to Liverpool. He said that they had been adequately replaced by Englands first first choice right back and by Romas first choice.

He admitted that he has not approached Rafa to ask him for special guidance or feedback. He just assumed that because he had not been picked then it must be something personal. He said he had no intention of approaching Rafa with his complaints.

He just wants to be playing and at least have a chance for the world cup. And if what I read is true then he's clearly fed up at Rafa because he doesn't communicate very much with his players. So will Rafa cut him slack and give him more chances? Seems like it's worked for Babel, and he's come out and said quite a bit. I hope he finds the form he had when he arrived here if so.

i'm looking forward to seeing how maxi pans out. i thought he had a good game on the right the other night. if there's any consistency as to why a player is dropped then kuyt shouldn't play again on the right again in the league seeing as he's been shit there for ages.

not bothered about riera, unlike some idiots who reckoned he was 1st choice spanish winger i knew he was slow, shit and a bottler. is there a single signing from that summer that worked out? (cavilari, degen, doseena, riera, keane = best part of 40 million!!)

Riera did not say that LFC is a sinking ship. In Spanish, he used that phrase with reference to himself. His comments were mainly about trying to save what he admitted were his already minimal chances of selection for Spanish WC squad. He made it very clear that that was the main cause of his angst.

He also did not say that it is amazing what the absence of Arbelo and Alonso had done to Liverpool. He said that they had been adequately replaced by Englands first first choice right back and by Romas first choice.

He admitted that he has not approached Rafa to ask him for special guidance or feedback. He just assumed that because he had not been picked then it must be something personal. He said he had no intention of approaching Rafa with his complaints.

Wouldn't that be the right/sensible thing to do?

So you're saying its just a spin on an interview done in the days before teh Manc game, never.

Cheers for the insight.

i'm looking forward to seeing how maxi pans out. i thought he had a good game on the right the other night. if there's any consistency as to why a player is dropped then kuyt shouldn't play again on the right again in the league seeing as he's been shit there for ages.

not bothered about riera, unlike some idiots who reckoned he was 1st choice spanish winger i knew he was slow, shit and a bottler. is there a single signing from that summer that worked out? (cavilari, degen, doseena, riera, keane = best part of 40 million!!)

That's got to be a first, an entire post without using the word "cock" or cocksucker.." Keep it up (no pun intended!) :whistle:

What if Gerrard and Torres declared they wanted to leave for Man City this summer, that would be cool too?

Hell yeah. With those two so-called bigger players gone, the former is shit as well, great players like Lucas would be able to step up and lead us to the title.

It isn't acceptable to slag of the manager and the club in the media. As for not being talked to, I'd be surprised if that was the case. As Real Red said 'at a club where a player gets a five-minute clipboard briefing before coming on as a sub for the last two minutes I can't believe that players get no feedback'. We also heard that after Istanbul he was at them after the flight.

He might not be the best communicator with players that are no longer in his plans, but I can't believe that for a second.

Shankly used to be that way - if a player was injured shankly would walk past them in the corridor without a glance.

Wasn't this story put out there by "The Guardian" - isn't that setting anyone else's alarms off?

I wonder if people will be as keen to get in God's case?

Fowler, who recently returned from a season in the Australian A-League, told BBC Radio 5 live: "Rafa in his first year won the Champions League but they have not really won too much since then.

"For the sake of Liverpool fans I want them to do as well as they can and if that means getting a new manager then so be it."

Fowler, who recently returned from a season in the Australian A-League, told BBC Radio 5 live: "Rafa in his first year won the Champions League but they have not really won too much since then.

"For the sake of Liverpool fans I want them to do as well as they can and if that means getting a new manager then so be it."

Treacherous little cunt, hope he burns in hell with Ronnie Whelan. I bet Carra and Gerrard put him up to it, the twats :whistle:

He isn't really saying much there. If he really was strongly against Rafa said it surely he would have said it. He's not really the type to hold back and there is no reason why he should be doing it.

Tony Barret's view of things

Rafael Benitez is the only winner in Albert Riera row | Liverpool - Times Online

Rafael Benitez is the only winner in Albert Riera row

Times football writer Tony Barrett delivers his verdict on the latest behind-the-scenes problems to hit Anfield club. He talks to Russell Kempson

Albert Riera of Liverpool reacts after sustaining an injury

(Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)

* 1 Comment

Recommend? (2)

Has Riera burnt his bridges with Rafael Benitez after his outburst?

The bridges were already alight, the writing has been on the wall for a long time. If the criticism had come from, say, Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres or Javier Mascherano, then perhaps it would have had a bit more credibility. But Riera is a couple of levels below those three and is not exactly speaking from a position of strength.

Does Riera have a point?

No, not really. He had a decent first season, gave the team balance and built a solid platform from which to move on from. However, he has not delivered on that promise and has frequently struggled when given an opportunity. He is little more than a bit-part player now and clearly a frustrated one, too. He has probably fired the first shots in what could become a tense stand-off between him and Benitez.

Who will win?

There is only one winner and it is not Riera. Benitez will not take kindly to being spoken about in such unflattering terms, especially in the media. I will be very surprised if Riera is not fined for his comments - as would any senior player who speaks out against his manager. It just isn't done.

What do the Liverpool fans think of Riera?

Not a lot. When he was taken off in the 63rd minute of the Europa League game at home to Unirea Urziceni last month, there was not even a ripple of applause. That is as near as it gets to booing at Anfield. I really can't see any way back for him.

Related Links

* Riera nears exit after criticising Benítez

* Benitez: Reina an example to all

* Aquilani doubtful for Lille tie

Where will he go?

He has two years left on his contract at the end of this season but will be long gone before it expires. Several Spanish clubs are interested in taking him and there could also be a way out in Russia, which I'm sure his advisers have sounded out already. There is a lot of money in Russian football at the moment, their domestic league does not have the most exacting of standards and their transfer window is still open.

Is it true, as Riera claims, that Benitez is non-communicative?

That is Rafa. He is what he is and is not going to change now. At least he is consistent and is not the sort of unpredictable animal that players cannot read, trust or respect. He will never be one for the arm on the shoulder or offer a shoulder to cry on. Riera should realise that ... or perhaps he just has. That is why, it would appear, he wants out. No one will die in the rush to stop him.