You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Local nuts

TheBitch

Mrs Bitch went to our local town centre yesterday and came back pissing herself laughing. Apparently there's a woman who frequents the local shops claiming she's married to Johnny Depp, has tattoos of him on her arm which she tells people about, was carrying his autobiography round with her and was telling anyone who cared to listen and some who didn't that she's going to his next red carpet premier with him.

What an ace nutjob. I really wanna meet this woman.

Any other local fruit cakes residing by the GF you wanna tell about?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We used to have an ace one in Corris, Phyllis the Rock, she wasn't so much nutty as eccentric.

She used to get up and be on the main A487 road by 6am every sunday to thumb a lift to chapel in Bala. The thing that made her stand out was that she wouldn't wait for a car to stop, if you were going slow enough she'd open the car door and get in, if you weren't slow enough, she'd jump out in front of your car to make you stop then get in.

Died in her home about 3 years ago.

Meet Facebook's super tramps - Edinburgh Evening News

THEY may not have a place to live but they've secured a place in the hearts of the city's social networking community.

A raft of Facebook and Bebo sites dedicated to some of the city's most well-known homeless men have sprung up on the internet.

By far the most popular individual is "Beaver Man", a gentleman with a mane of long matted hair resembling a beaver's tail who is regularly seen enjoying a burger and a glass bottle of Irn-Bru in and around Lothian Road.

"Beaver Man" – who has also been christened "Night Beaver" and "Carpetheid" – has more than 3,000 online fans over no less than seven social networking sites, including a dedicated Facebook page, two Bebo pages, three Facebook appreciation groups and a place in the "Edinburgh Cult Celebrities Appreciation Thread".

While many of the sites appear to be poking fun, their creators seem to have a genuine affection for the men.

Nadine Moore, a journalism student, is the creator of "Beaver Man Rocks!", dedicated to the colourful Lothian Road drifter.

She said: "The Beaver Man is definitely one of the cult figures of homeless people in Edinburgh. What sets him apart from his fellow wanderers is most certainly his very distinct appearance.

Beaver Man is also shrouded in mystery, as he has for as long as we loved him always kept to himself."

CULT FIGURE: 'Rastatramp' has two Facebook pagesOther notable Facebook successes include "Meadows Big Issue Man" and "Rastatramp".

"Meadows Big Issue Man" is actually John White, 64, has 361 Facebook fans and calls the Meadows his "salvation".

Mr White, originally from the Home Counties, has been homeless for more than 30 years following the death of a loved one. He moved to Edinburgh to isolate himself from his loss.

He said: "The Meadows has really brought me closer to people again and I am lucky to have my regular customers and people I chat to every day."

"Rastatramp", so called because his dark skin and long white dreadlocks give him the appearance of a Rastafarian, is also known as "The Shaman of Leith Walk" and has two Facebook pages entitled "Does anyone else think Rastatramp could be God?" and "I honestly love the Rastatramp on Leith Walk!".

As well as featuring "Beaver Man" and "Rastatramp", the "Edinburgh Cult Celebrities Appreciation Thread" also pays tribute to "Shamblin' Man", a crooked gentleman with tattered clothes and a bin bag of possessions.

But Graeme Brown, director of Shelter Scotland, housing and homelessness charity, warned against making light of a very serious situation. He said: "While some of the comments are affectionate, there are some which are worryingly derogatory and perhaps serve as a reflection on those posting such comments."

He added: "I wonder whether people posting comments or setting up such pages would make better use of their time, perhaps volunteering, or lobbying for an end to homelessness."

Had quite a few run ins with beaver man including infamous time he touched my friends leg.

The bolded one is a different story. I've only met him once and wasn't aware that he had priors as no-one, except the lad I was with when I encountered him, has ever brought him up. He just stopped us in Princess Street and started banging on about 1950s Britain; he had a really distinguished accent and diction which enhanced how amazing he was. So engrossed was I that I returned to the same spot three weeks in a row hoping to find - but a no go.

Mrs Bitch went to our local town centre yesterday and came back pissing herself laughing. Apparently there's a woman who frequents the local shops claiming she's married to Johnny Depp, has tattoos of him on her arm which she tells people about, was carrying his autobiography round with her and was telling anyone who cared to listen and some who didn't that she's going to his next red carpet premier with him.

Maybe she's some kind of tribute to his real life wife?

A sort of 'Vanessa Parody', if you will.

Guest ShoePiss
Remember the auld fella who used to go about town on a bike but never pedalled and had loads of No Smoking signs and plastic bags attached to it?

Haven't seen him in about 3 years now. Must have died.

'no smoking man', seen all over the place if it's the same fella.

There was a tramp who used to hang round Walton Vale years ago, think his name was Tommy. He used to get pissed, put on women's clothes and then dance in the road on the Vale on a saturday morning, essentially crippling the traffic flow.

I recall walking past the Ethel Austins and hearing the sound of young girls screaming. I looked across the road and there were about 5 girls from Archies screaming laughing running away from Tommy who has his kecks round his ankles and was doing a little jig outside the Billy Hill.

Believe he threw himself on the line at Fazackerly train station which was sad

We've got a town full of 'em. About 10 years ago they closed down the nuthouse in bodmin prefering a "care in the community scheme" instead. So it's a town of nutters instead of just an institution full of 'em. Great on a Saturday afternoon in the high street as they all seem to be out together.

Explain these please.

Jacko was ' Plina-a-plink ' in own with the cardboard guitar. My arl fella was his Case Worker in the Hostel on Shaw St he was in. in a nursing home now I think ?

Tony Beep-beep from Old Swan would wave and shout at drivers till they beeped. seen him a while back.

Danny was related to a friend of mine and walked up Tuebrook continually with a radio to his ear on match days telling everyone what was happening, he could also be a pain in the arse but he was a character.

A nutjob stays near my uni. She's an old woman who comes up to the uni and goes about asking students where they are from. Once you've told her that she tries to give you money then follows you. Its fuckin weird.

Another nutjob sometimes gets the bus I get home. She has literally the cruelest face I have ever seen. She makes Ebeneezer Scrooge look like Gandhi. She barks at bus drivers, passengers. Accuses them of all sorts like trying to steal from her. She looks at you as if she genuinely wishes you were dead.

Jacko was ' Plina-a-plink ' in own with the cardboard guitar. My arl fella was his Case Worker in the Hostel on Shaw St he was in. in a nursing home now I think ?

Tony Beep-beep from Old Swan would wave and shout at drivers till they beeped. seen him a while back.

Danny was related to a friend of mine and walked up Tuebrook continually with a radio to his ear on match days telling everyone what was happening, he could also be a pain in the arse but he was a character.

Weirdly enough some lad who drinks round our way is a care worker and says Jacko is in the home he works in. Say's he's a proper funny bastard as well

Tony was still going strong last time I saw him, lurking around Kenny Market tidying up for Bridget who used to do the second hand clothes at the back. Bridget was a character as well. Well into her late 60/70s, but old and infirm my arse, seen her batter smackheads around the bonce with her walking stick many a time.

Danny! Fuckin' 'ell, that takes me back. Danny the Tranny we used to call him. Tranny as in Transistor radio back in those more innocent days because, as you say, he always had this radio welded to his ear.