You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

Anyone know how to calculate 5g of carbs per kg of body weight. I know I'm being thick here but everytime I've calculated it it doesn't seem right.

Is it simply 99kg (my body weight) divided by 5g (carbs)

99÷5=19.8

What are you doing that requires that?

Then again, 19.8g carbs per day would be keto levels of carbs. So maybe you should be dividing it?

What are you doing that requires that?

Then again, 19.8g carbs per day would be keto levels of carbs. So maybe you should be dividing it?

One of the coaches at football has given us a nutritional plan as a guideline for pre and post match nutrition and it says on training and match days to have 7-10g of carbs per kilo of body weight so 19.8g way way to low and 400 odd grams is way too much so I'm really confused as to how much I should be having!

That load os for elete athletes bulking up for endurance.

Trying to do that on a 99kilo body would be mental. And most likely fuck you up with stodgy food. Just eat a decent bowl of pasta id say. Youll pile a shit load of weight on eating that much carbs too

Quite pleased with myself, have gone from 15 st 10 lb in late-September to 13 st 11 lb , even allowing for Xmas and 2 weeks all-inclusive in Mexico in February. Lowest I have been for 7 years or so, I am 57.

Mainly been on the back of 4 gym visits a week doing about 75 mins mainly treadmill / bike / rower with a few muscle exercises.

Diet wise I am nowhere near perfect.

Good.   Given up pies completely & don't get any takeaways / fast food & cut down the ale and if I buy ready meals I get the M&S ' Count the calories' ones..

Bad.  Still addicted to hot, thick, buttered white toast, eat 2 bars of chocolate a day,  have sausage & bacon 2 or 3 times a week and have the occasional meal out.

Weight loss has slowed in the last month but since I am not targeting any particular weight just looking to be healthier for my age I am not beating myself up too much as I feel really good.

Good luck to everybody who has posted and is doing their best , it's not easy is it ?

• Upvote 5

Give it a few sessions and you'll be fine. I did legs for the first time in about a year a few months back, could hardly walk for 2 days. Now I can do Heavy squats and be totally fine afterwards.

I did the same back in 2009. I returned to the gym after about a year out and rather than start off slowly I jumped back into the same routine. Used a Smith machine and loaded about 30kg on. Then put the feet of a bench in front of me and did calf raises through a full range of motion from a position with heels on the floor (toes on the bench feet) until fully extended. Decided my old '75 steps' exercise was a good idea. The basic gist is that you go calf raises to muscle failure and step off. A very painful burn/throb happens for about five seconds but then you immediately step back on and continue. The goal is to get to a total of 75 reps in total and it's agonising. As you get towards the end you are only doing three or four raises before failing.

Anyway after getting up on the second morning afterwards I knew there was a problem. My calf muscles seized up completely and felt like they had shrunk. It took me an absolute age to stand up straight and was it only accomplished by stretching them out by starting with my back against a wall and feet about a metre away. In small increments I'd stretch them out and eventually get to a standing position over ten to fifteen minutes. This would have been fine once per day but if I sat down for more than a few minutes I'd have to start over.

I spent a whole week house bound, but shuffling up and down the stairs and having my housemate go do my shopping. Even touching the calf muscles lightly was like being stabbed. I found a bloke online who had done similar but worked at a hospital. He ended up scanning ((MRI I think) his legs and posted his pictures. The state of the of them was remarkable.

Perversely I enjoyed the pain and did the same again in 2013.

Anyway, I'm getting fat these days and have gone for my periodic diet chef diet which I tend to lose about 20lb in two months on.

At one stage last year I was doing deep squats 6 times a week. Rotating heavy, slow, and high rep workouts. So was doing two of each per week at the end of my normal workout. After a week or two the DOMS completely disappeared. Did this for about 4 months and my strength went through the roof. First week was hell like.

The body can adapt very well once its used to the initial shock.

True, Elite.

I am always amazed at the efforts those men & women on the various ' Biggest Loser ' shows can go through after basically sitting around getting fat for years. Always expect them to keel over , but it never seems to be happen.

At one stage last year I was doing deep squats 6 times a week. Rotating heavy, slow, and high rep workouts. So was doing two of each per week at the end of my normal workout. After a week or two the DOMS completely disappeared. Did this for about 4 months and my strength went through the roof. First week was hell like.

Lad who used train at my gym was who natural came top 3 in European championship for under 23s in powerlifting did squat bench deadlift 9 times a week. No doms at all . Like alcoholics don't get hangovers.

My cousin decided in year he turned 40 to run every day a minimum of 2 miles a day for a full year no days off

He got a pb on a marathon at 40 makes you think about fo*tballers who can't play twice a week

Torn between getting a flywheel bike for indoors or joining the gym down the road.  I have been getting out running now and again, but too many days after work I let it get away from me.  Need something to either go to on my way back from work, or something I can hop on when I haven't had the chance/will to do something properly.

Rented flat probably means gym is more sensible option.  Need to choose something, want to go give football another season or two and don't want to be playing catch up to start the season again.

Torn between getting a flywheel bike for indoors or joining the gym down the road. I have been getting out running now and again, but too many days after work I let it get away from me. Need something to either go to on my way back from work, or something I can hop on when I haven't had the chance/will to do something properly.

Rented flat probably means gym is more sensible option. Need to choose something, want to go give football another season or two and don't want to be playing catch up to start the season again.

I've changed sites I'm working on so I've got a lot longer travel time to work so I doubt I'll have time to go to the gym much so been looking into buying gym stuff for my garden. For about £200 on amazon ive found a sort of multi gym bench, weights, ez bar, pull up bar and a trx type system.

For cardio then I'll probably go down the school down the road for £2 a go because they've got a gym but it's tiny but has decent cardio equipment.

Anyone know a good site for weight training.

Using some free weights might be an issue as im likely to be on my own in the gym at 4am so there wont be people around if i dropped a weight on a bench etc.

No issue with legs just need to sort upper body and back

Using some free weights might be an issue as im likely to be on my own in the gym at 4am so there wont be people around if i dropped a weight on a bench etc.

I've been doing this which is purely Dumbell meaning no "spotting" needed 

http://www.building-muscle101.com/dumbbell-workout-routine.html

• Upvote 1

Depends what your looking to do mate but bodybuilding.com have some decent programs on there and if you've got an iPhone (not sure if it's on android) they have a couple of the programs as an app which you can follow on there. They are called Hardcore 12 week trainer with Kris Gethin, Shortcut to size with Jim Stoppani and Labradas lean body. They also have it all on their app called BodySpace.

• Upvote 1

I've changed sites I'm working on so I've got a lot longer travel time to work so I doubt I'll have time to go to the gym much so been looking into buying gym stuff for my garden. For about £200 on amazon ive found a sort of multi gym bench, weights, ez bar, pull up bar and a trx type system.

For cardio then I'll probably go down the school down the road for £2 a go because they've got a gym but it's tiny but has decent cardio equipment.

For cardio you could just do some form of home circuits, if you wanted to save a few quid. Insanity, P90X and T25 will all get you sweating in no time.

Its written from his notes the editor had access too. Its part of a series

Book Description

The Art of Expressing the Human body, a title coined by bruce Lee himself to describe his approach to martial arts, documents the techniques he used so effectively to perfect his body for superior health and muscularity.

beyond his martial arts and acting abilities, Lee's physical appearance and strength were truly astounding. He achieved this through an intensive and ever-evolving conditioning regime that is being revealed for the first time in this book.

Drawing on Lee's own notes, letters, diaries and training logs, bruce Lee historian John little presents the full extent of Lee's unique training methods including nutrition, aerobics, isometrics, stretching and weight training.

in addition to serving as a record of bruce Lee's own training, The Art of Expressing the Human body, with its easy-to-understand and simple-to-follow training routines, is a valuable source book for those who seek dramatic improvement in their health, conditioning, physical fitness, and appearance.