You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alonso: Barry talk forced me out!

WhiskeyJar

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate who works at LFC.TV has told me on numerous occasions, Rafa fell out with Xabi as result of when we played Inter away he refused to travel as his wife was due to have a baby. Rafa said to xabi have her induced 2 days before we go and have the baby before we go. Xabi agreed and then didn't turn up at the airport. Rafa was furious at Xabi because of this as he had one of the best relationships with him at the club. Xabi didn't tell him until they were boarding the plane he wouldn't be traveling to this MASSIVE fixture. Rafa's plans were scuppered for this game and we could have gone out! Rafa trust in Xabi went down the pan from there on in. No more card games round rafa's or tapas evenings!

Sometimes players have to be sold when the right money is being offered. I personally think for that kind of cash Rafa made the right decision. However I feel his replacement has yet to prove his worth.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Xabi's gone. Deal with it.

Irony alert

Who keeps bringing him up?

A clue, not me

Can we stop belittling his achievements and his status, and just wish him well?

Who's belittled his achievements?

I think he was and still is an excellent player for us, a key player who's loss has immeasurable

But as you say, he's gone, he chose to leave on his own volition and by doing so leaving a massive hole in a side he professed to love

Your vituperation towards him is very petty, UEM - the suggestion yesterday that he never gave 100% until his final season was especially unworthy.

I think you'll find that it wasn't I who suggested that

Edited by Ulysses Everett McGill

Maybe he

• Wanted more money +
  • Had a beef with the manager +
  • Fancied moving home +
  • Saw who Real were buying and wanted to go for footballing reasons

Shit like that. Whaddya reckon?

Can't be multiple reasons, a real man's life doesn't work like that. You think like a girl.

For the attention of UEM, JohnnyH and others who have the same viewpoint:

Do you believe that Rafa played any part in the reasons why Xabi left us?

Yes, I believe Rafa played a part. I believe that when Rafa went after Barry, this upset Xabi.

However, it didn’t upset him enough that he couldn’t play for another year at the club. There seemed to be some kind of post traumatic stress as it seemed to get to him more 12 months later. Luckily for Xabi this coincided with a massive pay rise at a new much bigger club then the less attractive clubs to him that came in the summer before.

It was put quite forcibly to me a few months back that Xabi was forced out last summer. It was put quite forcibly to me that Xabi wanted to stay but Rafa wanted him out. Now Xabi himself has confirmed 100% as fact that he asked to leave. It was his choice. Yes, Rafa contributed in Xabis mind by trying to get in Barry. But I also feel that if Xabi was more of a man he would have fought for his place to stay here. Plenty of players in the past have lost the manager confidence, but they have fought hard and regained it and stayed at the club they claim to love. Not played his best ever football to then secure his massive move that was I no way going to happen the season before on the back of 2 mediocre seasons. Xabi acted like a spoilt baby. Xabi chose to leave having become pissed off with Rafa, but, and what is important, Xabi chose to leave. He was not forced.

If every professional footballer acted like Xabi did when faced with the challenge of the manager not thinking you’re up to it, then the leagues would be full of shithouses.

What parts dont you agree with cain?

I don't agree with the bit that he "Luckily got a pay rise to go to a bigger club".

There was no luck about him playing brilliant football and being our player of the season.

I also don't agree with most of what Johnny says in his main paragraph. Yes Xabi has come out and said he asked to leave. Would you not look to leave your job if your manager was looking to replace you? I just don't think Xabi is enough of a cunt to come out and say the real seasons of why he left.

Also, Johnny mentions something about plenty of players in the past have lost managers confidence. This isn't just any manager. This is Benitez. A man who, in my opinion, makes his mind up and is not going to be changed. Once the manager loses confidence in that player, they are fucked .eg. Crouch, Bellamy, Keane, Babel. They don't get another chance or repaid. They get booted out the door at the first possible opportunity.

I don't believe Xabi had two mediocre seasons. I don't believe he acted like a spoilt baby. I believe Rafa acted like a stubborn man.

You don't think Rafa would have wanted to keep him then Cain?

There's no reason why Rafa shouldn't have wanted to have kept him. Obviously Xabi was still pissed off from the previous season so Rafa didn't have much of an option.

ps. I'm off to revise now (fuck sake) so if there are any further questions, don't be thinking I'm hiding away from them.

There's no reason why Rafa shouldn't have wanted to have kept him. Obviously Xabi was still pissed off from the previous season so Rafa didn't have much of an option.

Does this not suggest he wanted rid?

This is Benitez. A man who, in my opinion, makes his mind up and is not going to be changed. Once the manager loses confidence in that player, they are fucked .eg. Crouch, Bellamy, Keane, Babel. They don't get another chance or repaid. They get booted out the door at the first possible opportunity.

I do not think Rafa really wanted to keep Alonso, he did whatever he could to talk down his importance to the team last season, he got furious and started crying in the press when he lost out on Barry the second summer in a row and the Aquilani deal was sorted in a flash after Alonso left.

For those who say Alonso only went because of the money, how do you explain the other stick its been popular to beat him with, that he originally did not want to play away against Liege so he did not get cup tied.

These two aguments do not really go hand in hand do they?

Yes I`m talking to you Catch.

PS - and you SpyBee can fuck right off!