You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Sell Out: Who would you rid and why?

WhiskeyJar

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming (ridiculously, I know - but this is an entirely hypothetical thread) that Rafa would get all the money back to spend, I'd listen to offers for every player on the books bar Pepe, Carra, Johnson, Gerrard, Torres, Benayoun and Aquilani (I suppose - although I'd definitely think about accepting our money back).

However, in the real world, I'd ditch the utter dross that's clogging up the wage bill and potentially blocking the path to the first team of our youngsters, regardless of what happened to the income. So, Cavalieri, Voronin, The Greek, Babel, Degen, Dossena, El Zhar and Plessis can all go straight away. I know the goalkeeping situation could then be considered precarious (despite Pepe's great fitness record), but you're allowed emergency loans for keepers.

Looking at the pro's on our books I think you could get shut of 25/26 players including two full teams from 1 to eleven

Carvalieri, Degen, Dossena, Kyrgiakos, San Jose, Plessis, Spearing, el Zhar, Voronin, Babel, Reira

Itandje/Mihaylov/Hansen, Mendy, Insua, Threlfall, Darby, Duran, Weijl, Flora, Nemeth, Brouwer, Bruna

wages alone would save us millions and we'd still have 3 other teams, it would create opportunities for the kids to step into the stiffs and the stiffs to come into the squad - finding someone to take all of them them may be a problem mind

1. Dossena

2. Babel

3. Voronin

4. Degen

5. El Zhar

6. Plessis

They are all shit. At least Lucas serves a purpose.

7. Cavalieri - Not needed and probably on decent wages

8. Riera - if he can be replaced by someone with pace greater than a snail.

Finally:

9. Lucas, if he can be replaced by a taller, non-shit player.

I think the shorter list would be who wouldn't I get rid of.

However, wanting to get rid of players and actually achieving that are two separate things. We seem to be unique in the world of football for clogging up our squad with utter garbage on megabucks wages with no resale value.

I can sit here and say I would sell Babel, Voronin, Dossena, Degen, El Zhar, Plessis, Riera, Plessis etc etc, but who is going to take any of these guys, even on free transfers? They're so bad they barely even deserve to be called footballers.

This is an exercise in futility.

My choice will probably be laughed at but I think Mascherano.

And the reason being that he wants to leave anyway so we may as well sell him for the right money. We are fucking desperate for a centre forward and he is the only player that could generate cash to sign someone decent.

I cannot see the club giving the manager cash in January so I think its something we may have to do. He is going to go sooner or later with the horrors that are his agents so we may as well do it now. We cannot go on with Ngog as our best back up striker. I am prepared to live with Lucas,Gerrard and Aquilani for midfield with the youngsters(Spearing, Plessis) included and Masherano to go in exchange for a decent forward.

In a prefect world we could just go out and buy a forward but thats not going to happen is it.

Here's my take on things, focussing on the "why".

Voronin. Hasn't been included in the past few squads despite Rafa's selection problems, so it suggests he's not got a future here. I'm sure a number of Bundesliga clubs are interested as he has a tidy record in Germany, but whether they are prepared to pay cash is another matter, as opposed to just wanting him on loan. Having him on a contract when he's playing for other clubs on loan is pointless. Leopard prints might be more popular there than here, and the healthcare system is more to his liking.

Dossena. Has made comments about needing to play to have a chance of making Italy's World Cup squad, and is unlikely to get it here. Another who has frequently been omitted from the squad (even when Aurelio was out!) so would have a better future elsewhere. I do think he is a good player believe it or not, just not in our squad, or in England. He would probably get his mojo back by returning to Serie A. However, I would again prefer a straight sale rather than a loan deal or else we could be here again next season.

Plessis. Seems to be one of a number of reserves who have stagnated considerably (I would put Stephen Darby in that category also) and just seems to be going through the motions. If the rumours about his attitude and the supposed favouritism he receives are true, then that needs to be nipped in the bid sharpish. He's like Momo Sissoko without the drive or energy, so I can only think he was offered a new contract so he has some resale value. He would be better off moving back to France to see if he can pick his career up again. Well it worked for Alou Diarra didn't it?

Babel and Degen should be kept and reassessed in the summer, assuming Degen doesn't break down for the umpteenth time. Both are likely to be included in their national teams' World Cup squads so could yet be in demand from a few clubs in Europe, so again there is more possibility to cash in.

But hey, it's not up to me.

Agree with a lot of this thread - my main question concerns Degen - cos imo he is a bit different to the others being named.

For instance is he injured again now? - cos since he was sent off V Fulham there has been no sign of him as far as I know. But actually on the pitch he has looked OK (yeah I know its all relative - but compared to most of the rest of the list), his biggest problem is obvious his tendency to be injured all the time. In fact he could be seen as a decent back up for both Glen or the wide right position - so I would not sell him but the rest I would - and Babel would be at the top of the list!! (altho in fairness I saw his interview yesterday on LFCTV and thought once again what he said showed that the Sun had behaved disgracefully)

I don't think Degen has been that bad and fans were very hypocritical giving him shit after a game or two and not treating others the same.

I agree with Unrighteous though, Kelly looks a promising player so i'd like him as back up to Johnson cos it will do him good and he'll be better bet long term. So, if someoen makes an offer for Degen, I'd take it.

If it was players who I don't think will ever be good enough for us even as squad players, I would say Voronin, Babel, Dossena, Degen, El Zhar and Plessis just for starters. I still think our thin squad means we shouldn't bin anyone off in January unless we're bringing one or two in though, even from that list.

Kelly? - in the first team he's played V Lyon and thats about it isn't it. He was OK but not so good that you'd think 'real class act - will be our right back for years'.

We were not put that under pressure defensively in that match but you're right in that I can remember no ricks he made and also he did do one superb cross for Aurelio to nearly score just after we took the lead so his debut was certainly credit worthy but he's so young I'd want to see a lot more before I passed judgement.

Degen certainly V Leeds, Arsenal and even Fulham looked one of our better performers in each of the games - good attacking wise and by no means disastrous defensively, but if he is injured again I despair!! - nobody answered my question - is he injured now or just not selected?

My choice will probably be laughed at but I think Mascherano.

And the reason being that he wants to leave anyway so we may as well sell him for the right money. We are fucking desperate for a centre forward and he is the only player that could generate cash to sign someone decent.

I cannot see the club giving the manager cash in January so I think its something we may have to do. He is going to go sooner or later with the horrors that are his agents so we may as well do it now. We cannot go on with Ngog as our best back up striker. I am prepared to live with Lucas,Gerrard and Aquilani for midfield with the youngsters(Spearing, Plessis) included and Masherano to go in exchange for a decent forward.

In a prefect world we could just go out and buy a forward but thats not going to happen is it.

Mascherano was number one on my list

If Rafa was able to spend the money he generated through sales, i'd certainly listen to offers for the following:

Degen

Insua

Dossena

Ayala

Krygiakos

Kuyt

Babel

Riera

El Zhar

Lucas

Mascherano (purely because of the size of fee)

Plessis

N'Gog

Voronin

That's a scary list of mediocre players, in my opinion.

Kelly? - in the first team he's played V Lyon and thats about it isn't it. He was OK but not so good that you'd think 'real class act - will be our right back for years'.

We were not put that under pressure defensively in that match but you're right in that I can remember no ricks he made and also he did do one superb cross for Aurelio to nearly score just after we took the lead so his debut was certainly credit worthy but he's so young I'd want to see a lot more before I passed judgement.

Degen certainly V Leeds, Arsenal and even Fulham looked one of our better performers in each of the games - good attacking wise and by no means disastrous defensively, but if he is injured again I despair!! - nobody answered my question - is he injured now or just not selected?

Degen is on the same wages as Mascherano, right now. Thats why Degen must be moved.