You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Take a bow...

TG3

Post the damn article!

Rafa: My respect for Liverpool Way

4th Dec 2009 - Latest News

0 CommentsEmailPrintShare With News Archive

Rafa Benitez today spoke of his admiration for Kop legend Bill Shankly and admitted he is always eager for his team to adhere to the famous 'Liverpool Way' playing style.

The Reds boss has immersed himself in the culture and history of the club since arriving on Merseyside, and the Spaniard is keen for his charges to draw inspiration from the brand of football that served the likes of Shankly, Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan and Kenny Dalglish so well in the 1970s and 80s.

However, Benitez acknowledges the competitive and physical nature of the modern day game means ensuring the team win matches remains the most crucial aspect of his job.

"The Liverpool Way was to win games, do it in style and try to play good football," the manager told his weekly press conference at Melwood.

"We always try to do this, but football has changed and sometimes you have to win 'ugly'.

"We are always trying to play good football if it is possible, but that also depends on the other teams."

It's been a week of celebration for the Reds as the club marked the 50th anniversary of Shankly's arrival at Anfield.

Asked how he'd feel to be compared with Shankly, Benitez replied: "I'd be really proud.

"Everybody knows he is one of the best managers ever because he changed the club. Others may have won more trophies, but Shankly was the man who changed everything.

"He was a fantastic manager, a very good motivator and linked the fans with the club."

On the field, Liverpool return to Barclays Premier League action on Saturday by taking on Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park.

The Reds are currently enjoying a five-match unbeaten run, and recorded a morale-boosting victory over Everton last time out to secure back-to-back wins.

"We needed to start winning games in a row," said Benitez. "We won against Debrecen and kept a clean sheet and then we did the same against Everton, so we are really pleased.

"Confidence is higher, but we have to win some more games. We have been losing and drawing some games, so we have to start winning and try to be as high in the table as possible."

"Our target is the next game. The top four is the main thing for us and if we can be higher in the table we will try to do so. Blackburn is an opportunity to keep the confidence high."

While confidence levels at Melwood may have been raised in recent weeks, the same can be said of Blackburn, who secured a place in the Carling Cup semi-finals earlier this week at the expense of Chelsea.

The gaffer added: "I didn't see the game, but I have some clips available and I have read the report.

"I have watched some of their set-pieces, which will be the main thing against Blackburn.

"Clearly they will have confidence, but we have won two games in a row and beating Everton in the derby was massive for us, so we too have big confidence."

The clash with Rovers could see Steven Gerrard make his 500th appearance for Liverpool.

Benitez feels should Gerrard reach the milestone, it will come at a particularly poignant time for the club.

"It's not easy to find a player who plays for the same club for such a long time," he said.

"500 games is a massive achievement, especially at a top side like Liverpool.

"It is also the 50th anniversary of Shankly arriving at Liverpool, so it is a very good situation for us, the club and the fans."

Benitez also confirmed Alberto Aquilani could figure in Lancashire, but the manager is keen to retain a cautious approach over the fitness of the Italy midfielder.

Asked why the 25-year-old has yet to make his first Liverpool start, the boss stated: "It's not because he needs time to adjust to the English game.

"Before, it was because of the ankle injury. Now he is in full training sessions with no problem.

"But when you are not winning games easily and they are very tight matches to play in, to play a player who is not fully match fit is a risk for the player and the team.

"We are trying to find the right time. If we can do it on Saturday then that will be good, but if we cannot then maybe Fiorentina is the target now."

Meanwhile, Benitez was asked by reporters on who he'd like to see Spain grouped with in the draw for the 2010 World Cup finals, which is due to take place on Friday evening.

He said: "I am not really worried about this now, I am thinking more about Blackburn. Spain have enough quality, so they can beat anyone.

"It will be really good for us if we could see an England versus Spain final because we could have five or six players there."

Now you want us to all get drunk you asshole. My Uncles friend is an alcoholic, how do you feel now.

yes get pissed, take your uncle and his friend with you.

thanks for the post TG3 unlike others i found it simple to click the mouse, twating witch hunters!

Even the derby game was a torture EXCEPT the result.

Just shows how these stats can be twisted to suit an argument. The "5 match unbeaten run" made me cringe!

Yeah that's some stat, which should in reality never be used. I just hope that the performance and the result are what we are expecting tomorrow and that we not going to go through another fulham episode.