You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 'did anyone see him play thread?'

old skool tom

be nice if weve got some of the older (if there are any?) supporters views on players from the past who we werent lucky enough to see or recall because we were to young to see or fully appreciate there strengths/weaknesses.

was thompson really as as superb as older reds and my old man keeps telling me?

and who would you rather have today..........cally or peter thompson?

Didn't see Thompson and Callaghan was a central midfielder when I watched him. My dad says Thompson was a brilliant dribbler but wanted to beat the same man several times.

Didn't see Thompson and Callaghan was a central midfielder when I watched him. My dad says Thompson was a brilliant dribbler but wanted to beat the same man several times.

i always thought he played on the right of midfield for some reason?i thinks its basically cos on the dvd clips he seamed to be on the right more often than not.

i know sky has a lot to answer for but i wish theyd of had every game on film like today so we could see what ive only really heard about

i always thought he played on the right of midfield for some reason? i thinks its basically cos on the dvd clips he semmed to be on the right more often than not.

i know sky has a lot to answer for but i wish theyd of had every game on film like today so we could see what ive only really heard about

The 1965 Cup Final is available on DVD. Great piece of dribbling in that game, but not from Thompson. Willie Stevenson does a Clodoaldo from the 1970 World Cup Final.

The 1965 Cup Final is available on DVD. Great piece of dribbling in that game, but not from Thompson. Willie Stevenson does a Clodoaldo from the 1970 World Cup Final.

Clodoaldo 1970, 4 minutes in. I can't find the Stevenson version but I think it may have been even better:

i always thought he played on the right of midfield for some reason?i thinks its basically cos on the dvd clips he seamed to be on the right more often than not.

Cally started on the right but played more central as he got a bit older and lost a bit of pace. Great player, fantastic work-rate and a real football brain. I still pick him on the right in my best Liverpool team.

Thompson had fantastic pace and could beat his man for fun but as Hermes mentions he did have a tendency to stop, let the full back catch up and then try to beat him again. His crossing let him down a bit.

Cally started on the right but played more central as he got a bit older and lost a bit of pace. Great player, fantastic work-rate and a real football brain. I still pick him on the right in my best Liverpool team.

Thompson had fantastic pace and could beat his man for fun but as Hermes mentions he did have a tendency to stop, let the full back catch up and then try to beat him again. His crossing let him down a bit.

You old git.

Yep, Thommo always seemed to want to take on the man again after he'd beaten him. Callaghan was a good little winger too. He had the benefit over thommo in that he could play in midfield after he had the cartilage injury many thought spelt the end of his career.

Both greats imo.

Peter Thompson on his day was world class, but those days didn't happen regular enough. He could beat his man for fun and had a thunderous shot. He was one of those players who scored wonder goals, but often missed easy chances.

Callaghan was a local lad, who replaced Billy Liddel of all people. Cally would work his socks off for the team, could twist and turn iether way keeping control of the ball. Not as silky or direct as Thompson but as effective

In the early sixties both use to often swap wings which often tormented fullbacks. As a match winner Peter gets my vote, but for all round commitment Chally is up there with the likes of Emlyn Hughes.

Thommo during warm up at the kemlyn road side of the kop doing his tricks with the ball, worth the price of admission to watch that; he should have scored a lot more goals but his thing was skinning full backs, and doing it again- great player on his day but didn't have Cally's work rate or football brain, for a while - until Ramsey made wingers unfashionable - the best pair of wingers in the First Division - complemented each other well and swopped sides a lot - have we ever had a better pair playing together? Can't think of two.

Thommo during warm up at the kemlyn road side of the kop doing his tricks with the ball, worth the price of admission to watch that; he should have scored a lot more goals but his thing was skinning full backs, and doing it again- great player on his day but didn't have Cally's work rate or football brain, for a while - until Ramsey made wingers unfashionable - the best pair of wingers in the First Division - complemented each other well and swopped sides a lot - have we ever had a better pair playing together? Can't think of two.

haha thats what me old fella always says.use to say that hundreds would get in that corner just so they could see him warming up.didnt we buy him a couple of weeks after he ripped us to pieces in a cup game or something?

so who's the oldest on here? he should be given the title of 'TLW Godfather' IMO

what type of manager was 'Honest John McKenna' aws? :smile:

Peter Thompson was my favourite player when I first started supporting Liverpool. First game I went to was against Sunderland in August 1968. Thompson ripped them to pieces.

I read a magazine article at that time which said he was 'erratic' - think they meant inconsistent at times, and his finishing could be poor. He usually got quite a few goals each season (5 to 10 most years). His peak was probably 64 - 66, when he got most of his England caps, and was called 'The White Pele'. Sadly, a few years before my time.

Thompson was better with the ball, but overall Callaghan was the better - he probably contributed more to the side. When the use of out-and-out wingers died out, Callaghan became a more conventional midfielder. His career lasted from 1959 to 1979, 2nd division to Rome '77. Only 4 England appearances, with 11 years between the 2nd and 3rd.

My hero was Peter Thompson, but my head says choose Cally. Don't think I ever saw him put a foot wrong. If I had a choice of the two in our CURRENT team, though, I'd go for Thompson. We're crying out for someone with his skill who can take people on and beat them. He'd take the ball into the box himself, and leave Torres to do the rest.

be nice if weve got some of the older (if there are any?) supporters views on players from the past who we werent lucky enough to see or recall because we were to young to see or fully appreciate there strengths/weaknesses.

I was lucky enough to see both - Thompson on the left wing and Cally on the right (Then dropping into Midfield later).

Both were very different types of player - Thompson was a 'confidence' player who on his day could run through the whole opposition without giving them a touch. A real thoroughbred. Callaghan on the other hand was a very very gifted player who would work his socks off for the team and still run through a wall at the end of it to lay a goalscoring opportunity on for a team-mate.

To a lesser degree they were the early day "Giggs and Ronaldo" pairing.

To a lesser degree they were the early day "Giggs and Ronaldo" pairing.

To a lesser degree, Giggs and Ronaldo were a later version of the Callaghan and Thompson pairing. Except that C & T were rarely booked (Callaghan once only, I think). And they didn't dive. And neither was a ladyboy.

There - I think that's what you meant to say, wasn't it? :whistle: