You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa explains Keane and Barry debacle

Torvald Utne

I think Rafa will have been well preped and spoken beforehand about what questions were okay and what questions were off limits. You don't get an interview like this without have some dialogue between both parties beforehand. I'd imagine so anyway.

Or perhaps he is hoping to come across as more open, as one of the complaints from the press about him is that he is cold and hasn't tried to build a relationship with them. He could just as easily have said he would answer anything, especially as the questions are coming from a red who works for a paper that I would say is pro Rafa. In his interview with Tomkins, Tomkins I think mentions how surprised he was with how open Rafa was to answer anything, perhaps its just more of the same.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is he saying all this now!?

Maybe he is pissed off with journo's and ITK spreading things about him and his methods that are blatantly untrue? In this little article alone he has put an end the the "widely held belief" that Barry was going to come in to replace Alonso.

I think its a good idea. When results are going your way fickle fans forget about all the bad stuff, but when you lose a couple of games it always comes back to "bad rafa! forced out our hero and saviour Xabi, he is such a crap man manager, where is pako, oh my god! He is sooooo bad in the transfer market, why doesnt he buy players like Ramsey."

In the last two days he has explained why he hasn't signed young talents like Ramsey, whilst he has also explained, to a degree at least, the Keane/Barry debacle. Give the man some credit, if you were in his position I'm sure many of you would have shouted "lies! its all lies!" the second these rumours hit the papers, not 18 months afterwards!

i dont get this, Aurelio could do the same job as Barry on the left to a better standard yet barely played there last season

The width wasn't to come from Barry or Gerrard or Kuyt or Keane.

The way I read it/figured Rafa's plans were...

------------------------Reina----------------------

--Arbeloa-------Carra--------Agger------Aurelio/Dossena

-------------------------Masch--------------------

------------------Gerrard----Barry---------------

--------------Kuyt-----------------Keane---------

------------------------Torres---------------------

Fullbacks providing the width, with Barry/Gerrard moving forwards into space and moving the ball around. Kuyt and Keane to head into the box and be three strikers when working the ball deep with possession.

Not so much explained as blamed. And, guess what? Blamed someone else. Again.

Rick Parry, the gift that just keeps on giving.

A 'couple' of defeats? Oh boy.

Do you think he should NOT have mentioned Parry's participation in these dealings regardless of the level of his participation?

Do you think he should just have kept quiet and not passed the blame on to the people who should take the blame?

Not so much explained as blamed. And, guess what? Blamed someone else. Again.

Rick Parry, the gift that just keeps on giving.

A 'couple' of defeats? Oh boy.

You are right, of course, there is no way it could have been Parrys fault, his record at this club has been fantastic! There is NO WAY it could have been his fault, far more likely it was Rafa's...

and yes "a couple of defeats"...Rafa gets a bumming on this site the second we draw ONE game, let alone anything else.

Why is he saying all this now!?

Maybe he is pissed off with journo's and ITK spreading things about him and his methods that are blatantly untrue? In this little article alone he has put an end the the "widely held belief" that Barry was going to come in to replace Alonso.

But he hasn't... He wasn't going to play Barry as a winger. He clearly wanted a left footed player in our midfield on the left side of a midfield triangle. Xabi isn't left footed. It's not rocket science.

I think its a good idea. When results are going your way fickle fans forget about all the bad stuff, but when you lose a couple of games it always comes back to "bad rafa! forced out our hero and saviour Xabi, he is such a crap man manager, where is pako, oh my god! He is sooooo bad in the transfer market, why doesnt he buy players like Ramsey."

The first part of this is true. Bad results, and people pick you apart. However, your first little part answers why these concerns aren't brought up when we're on a 10 game win streak. They are still concerns, but then, you keep your mouth shut because we're playing well.

In the last two days he has explained why he hasn't signed young talents like Ramsey, whilst he has also explained, to a degree at least, the Keane/Barry debacle. Give the man some credit, if you were in his position I'm sure many of you would have shouted "lies! its all lies!" the second these rumours hit the papers, not 18 months afterwards!

He really hasn't. He's blamed 'the board' for the hold up on Ramsey, when it was Macia the absolute twat-toboggan, and friend/head blind-scout extroidinaire. He's also essentially blamed Parry for the Keane debacle, as well, without really explaining why he couldn't fit 'a good player' into our current tactics. I thought he was touted as a tactical-master.

You are right, of course, there is no way it could have been Parrys fault, his record at this club has been fantastic! There is NO WAY it could have been his fault, far more likely it was Rafa's...

and yes "a couple of defeats"...Rafa gets a bumming on this site the second we draw ONE game, let alone anything else.

Lucky Rafa.

Played 9 won 1. Wouldn't like to tell me when we last did that would you?

The man is a cunt, or rather became a cunt, But, he brought Rafa here and he brought Ged here, and he gave them support and time. He spoke for most fans over Clough despite the shit thrown at him, not saying he was perfect, far from it but his genuine acheivements should not be overlooked.

And Rafa clearly wanted Keane, whether he wanted to prioritise him or not, but he wanted Keane and that in itself turned out to be a bad decision all around. Nobody came out of that fiasco clean.

Can someone explain to me why not signing Gareth Barry means Keane had no hope of succeeding? I just don't follow Rafa's (inferred) logic.

----------------------------Mascher---------------------

Kuyt---------------------------------------------Barry

----------------------------Gerrard----------------------

-------------------------Keane-----Torres---------------

Width comming from Degen and Dossean with Kuyt and Barry covering those positions when they bombed forward. that was his plan anyway. So again he was let down by the club. I would have liked to see him get his players and his system and then its much easier to judge him rather with him having to do his job with one hand tied behind his back

----------------------------Mascher---------------------

Kuyt---------------------------------------------Barry

----------------------------Gerrard----------------------

-------------------------Keane-----Torres---------------

Width comming from Degen and Dossean with Kuyt and Barry covering those positions when they bombed forward. that was his plan anyway. So again he was let down by the club. I would have liked to see him get his players and his system and then its much easier to judge him rather with him having to do his job with one hand tied behind his back

So signing Barry would not only have made Keane a worldbeater at Anfield, but would also have meant that Drossena and Degen looked boss too?

Following this "logic" to its conclusion, one might surmise that Gareth Barry is the greatest, most influential, and valuable footballer on Earth.

So signing Barry would not only have made Keane a worldbeater at Anfield, but would also have meant that Drossena and Degen looked boss too?

Following this "logic" to its conclusion, one might surmise that Gareth Barry is the greatest, most influential, and valuable footballer on Earth.

Dont shoot the messenger

Rafa clearly stated he was looking for width from the fullback areas because he could afford quality wingers.

Fullbacks providing the width, with Barry/Gerrard moving forwards into space and moving the ball around. Kuyt and Keane to head into the box and be three strikers when working the ball deep with possession.

There, at least someone got it, an excellent post. It explains bringing in Dossena, and it explains (to an extent) this season's outlay on Johnson, as we still need the fullbacks to provide the width.

Can someone explain to me why not signing Gareth Barry means Keane had no hope of succeeding? I just don't follow Rafa's (inferred) logic.

At a guess I'd say he was looking to play with both strikers high and you can't do that with a midfield that can't penetrate. Hence he went back to a second striker to balance it out and no-one can do that better than Gerrard.

God knows why he brought this up now. He cant think it makes him look good? It would have meant we'd have sold Alonso who went on to be one of our best players that season, put a defensive midfielder on the wing and ended up having the two slowest attacking wide players in the history of football.

Maybe because he was asked a question. Just a thought, like (what, with it being an interview an' all).

As for Barry on the left, don't forget that he also signed an attacking left-back (who can't really defend) as cover/competition for the occasionally injured Aurelio. They might have linked up quite effectively. Who knows? And if we ever needed to go balls-out attacking, there's always Babel, Benayoun or Riera on the left.

I'm not saying that this line-up would have worked, but it's intriguing - and it's the closest I've ever come to seeing any rationale behind 2007's pursuit of Barry, the potential sale of Alonso and the signing of Keane.

There, at least someone got it, an excellent post. It explains bringing in Dossena, and it explains (to an extent) this season's outlay on Johnson, as we still need the fullbacks to provide the width.

Rafa clearly said he was going to play 2 up front so that line-up doesn't jive for me. Also the full backs has got less to do with a central 3 and more to do with the fact that he likes his wide midfielders to cut-in. I'm afraid I buy into the stories of a left-sided Kuyt :eek:

You can always make a point by exaggerating something to the verge of stupidity. However, it does not make your point valid.

Facts remain as they are. Benitez did not get the personnel he had planned to get for the last two summers. He explains the situation in the Barry/Keane case, which makes sense from a manager's point of view, and he has stayed pretty much silent about last summer.

Barry might have made the difference, or he might not. We will never know. But what what we do know is that Benitez has had to change his plans repeatedly, during the season, and that is something that has not been exactly helpful.

Dont think Rafa would have asked Stevie to cover for Arbeloa as it would have restricted him too much, thats why I believe he would have put Kuyt there to cover the fullback position and basically get stevie in the best postions on the pitch making things happen.

Anyway we will never know for sure

Now that looks interesting!

Rafa clearly said he was going to play 2 up front so that line-up doesn't jive for me. Also the full backs has got less to do with a central 3 and more to do with the fact that he likes his wide midfielders to cut-in. I'm afraid I buy into the stories of a left-sided Kuyt :eek:

That why I believe it was a daimond with stevie at the point of it behind the two strikers.

It would have been interesting to see if it had worked or not.

I have my reservations about Mascher and Kuyts passing abillities in such a formation.