You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Freddie Shepherd - Is he right?

Rashid

I wouldn't want our Chairman to say this but would love it if he said it privately.

"What has happened since the start of the season is just not on," he said. "It is not acceptable to the directors and board of Newcastle United or to our supporters, and we are not going to put up with it.

"I am talking about everyone here, from the manager downwards. The management and players of this football club are given Rolls-Royce treatment, but we are not getting Rolls-Royce performances from them in return.

"The board has given the club some of the best players in the country and those players top wages, a fantastic stadium and a training complex that is second to none in Europe. It is about time the board got something back in return."

Shepherd's stinging indictment of the club's season to date will leave no one at St James' Park in any doubt as to what is expected of them in the weeks and months ahead.

Robson and his captain, Alan Shearer, have admitted that the performances over Christmas, and particularly at Leicester and against Blackburn, were not good enough, and their feelings have been made known within the dressing-room.

"He can say what he wants, can't he?" Shearer said. "He's the gaffer of the place and he's frustrated as much as we are.

"The last two performances haven't been acceptable. We'd done well to get ourselves back into contention after a dreadful start, but the last two have been poor and we're as frustrated as he is.

"We want success as much as he does. It's just hard work, it's as simple as that."

The management and players now know the score

It might have been said privately behind the scenes Rashid. Dirty laundry shouldn't be washed in public.

I agree, the last thing any team needs is a kick up the backside in public, its humiliating for all concerned. However, I cannot argue with what he has said, him and his dad have given everything they have to Newcastle. They and the fans deserve something back.

Wasn't he the one who was spending the clubs money on call girls a few years ago. If he was he also called the fans idiots for buying replica shirts at £40 when they cost £5 to make and called Geordie girls "ugly slappers". Granted he was right on some things but the man is an idiot.

Newcastle are going through a sticky period just like us, do you think by admiting that the players need to try alot harder this puts even more pressure on them to perform?

Every mistake is magnified even larger and the fans become even more restless when things don't work out.

Look at any team, you very rarely see any players smiling anymore or even if they are enjoying their football, too much pressure to succeed.

Guest carl cross

I am not sure on this one.

Yes Sheppard is a total tosspot etc. But he has bankrolled that club for a long time. The club mucked up big time by pissing away champ league football and he can see it going away again.

Our board are about as vocal as a bag of chips. We know nothing of what is going on and what they think. I would be happy for them to come out and say things have to improve or else, because its true. They are the ones being asked for another x mill for new players so why not publicly say what you like.

Carl

Okay, Moores and Parry aren't perfect, but we should count ourselves lucky that we haven't got a prick like this on the Liverpool board.

NUFC were going nowhere (except down) when Sir Bobby took over. The self-proclaimed 'best fans in the world' and their hooker-loving chairman should thank Bobby for dragging them out of the gutter. How they have the cheek to demand instant success is beyond me. Okay, they had a bad start, and the goals have dried up recently. But the club and fans have shown themselves to be fairweather with their public criticism. Perhaps they should get Ruud back and have some more sexy football. Knobeads.