You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

He really got a stupid fuckin big head

Redzion

STEVE BRUCE believes that Darren Bent is the equal of Liverpool’s Spanish scoring sensation Fernando Torres and should be sitting above him in the Premier League goal charts.

The Sunderland striker could soon have former Middlesbrough winger Bolo Zenden helping him add to his tally after Bruce confirmed that lack of numbers in his squad has led him to consider handing the 33-year-old a permanent deal.

Bent’s seven goals this season were not sufficient to persuade Fabio Capello to include the Sunderland striker in England’s World Cup qualifiers against Ukraine and Belarus.

But the striker’s international exile has at least afforded him a chance to work alongside Zenden who is training at the Sunderland academy with talks over a possible contract scheduled for the end of next week.

Bent has been in the form of his career since making the switch to Wearside in July and he currently sits one goal behind the division’s leading scorer Torres.

The pair go head to head at the Stadium of Light next weekend but in the interim Bent can enjoy an enforced lay-off while Torres faces a hectic week as Spain travel to Armenia and Bosnia-Herzegovina in the space of five days.

After Bent netted at Old Trafford last weekend Bruce added his voice to calls for the Black Cats striker to be handed his fifth England cap.

However, the Sunderland manager admitted that Capello’s judgement cannot be questioned after masterminding England’s qualification to South Africa.

“No disrespect to Darren, but I wasn’t that surprised because if you analyse Fabio Capello he hasn’t made many changes from the day he took over,” said Bruce.

“Experienced managers, and he’s been there and worn the T-shirt, think ‘why should I change anything’ when people have done well for him and the England team have done well for him over the last 18 months. The clamour is for Darren.

“All he can do is keep playing well and I’m sure his chance will come. Whether he can break in now to a World Cup squad, who knows?”

Bruce denied that players in the North-East are overlooked in favour of their southern counterparts.

“I think Capello’s seen a few of our games, so I don’t think so because of the coverage the way it is, we can all see every game,’’ he said.

“When you start comparing Darren in the same breath as Torres and Adebayor and all these top strikers, he’s up there with them. For a Sunderland centre-forward to be up there with them and to have Kenwyne coming up behind like a steam train, it bodes well for us.”

Bruce’s only complaint appears to be that Bent should be the Premier League’s leading marksman.

“Seven goals, is that counting the deflected one?,’’ he stated. “If David Dunn’s stands against Arsenal on Saturday, then surely the panel’s got to give him it.

“And if he’d taken the penalty (against Wolves) like he should have done, he’d be top goalscorer in the Premier League, which is a fantastic return.

“That’s obviously what we’ve brought him here for but when you do spend a lot of money like we have done, of course you want him to hit the ground running. It’s not just his goalscoring but his appetite to work. He’s run over 12.5km during a game, which is a staggering achievement.”

Bruce revealed that the international break had given him an opportunity to assess Zenden’s potential to boost Sunderland’s midfield options.

“One thing that does concern me slightly is that we’re a little light on numbers,’’ he admitted. “He has been training in Holland and has obviously looked after himself very well. Bolo has played at the highest level and can cover a few positions.

“I dare say I’ll sit down and talk with him after our next game. At the moment, there is no commitment on either side. But certainly his past record shows he has the calibre that you need in the Premier League.”

He got a fuckin big ead

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Nothing story, he is just praising Bent for his good form. Don't be a little bitch.

He is saying he is up there with Torres, which he clearly isn't. He's having a purple patch.

I like Bent and wanted to sign him back in the day. He'd be perfect to back up Torres.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Bent is only one goal behind Torres, so he is technically right.

Only if he is talking just about numbers. I don't think he is...

“When you start comparing Darren in the same breath as Torres and Adebayor and all these top strikers, he’s up there with them
]

Ah he's just being a manager and trying to build up Bent's confidence in the hope that'll sustain his form. Bent's probably a bit crushed over not being picked for the England squad, so this is designed to build up his self-esteem and keep the goals coming.

I'd love Rafa to have signed him, he would be very good cover for Torres, and would probably be happy to sit on our bench as opposed to Spurs'!

He is saying he is up there with Torres, which he clearly isn't. He's having a purple patch.

I like Bent and wanted to sign him back in the day. He'd be perfect to back up Torres.

He wouldnt. He needs to be playing regulary to score regulary. So for that case....

130859.jpg

Im out.