You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

ReddOrDedd

exactly - cos he is isn't

i like to see him get stuck in as well but this is part of his natural game anyway

there is absolutely no need for 2 'defensive' centre mids imo with teh quality that we have in centre mid - if we had another world class attacker to replace Gerrard's role behind Torres then Gerrard should be moved back to centre mid

Gerrard and Masch are the perfect midfield partnership imo

while i can see that Aquilani has skill - i still do not know really how to accomodate him in the team - he certainly is not a like for like for Alonso departing and i don't want to see him playing so deep

logic says stick him up behind Torres - but i don't know if that would get the best out of him either

------------------Torres

-----Benayoun----------------Maxi

--------------Aquilani----Gerrard-

------------------Masch*

*that's not say that all he should do is sit - between him and Gerrard and Aquialni they should be able to boss the midfield effectively

all midfield players should be able to inter-link effectively and create a lot of movement - but by losing Alonso we don't have a deep lying playmaker anymore - but for me that was the key to the Gerrard and Torres partnership imo

Rafa should have known this and got in another striker to compliment Torres and completely changed tactics imo

Gerrard isn't a centre midfielder anymore imo.

He won't even put in a shift in there anymore. He wouldn't even tackle against Reading in the first game and looked as if he thought it was beneath him.

he's carrying an injury and his head hasn't been in it this season cos of all the shit going on off the pitch

we are yet to see a 100% Gerrard this season

No tackles ...

Seriously, I am not making any conclusions about whether he is good enough yet, but he's being played in a position where you have to put in a defensive shift and it's clear as day that he won't be.

he shouldn't be playing that deep though imo

he doesn't fit into our team at present and to get the best out of him we might have to build our team around him

Guest davelfc

At one stage in the first half he flicked a ball high and to the right, it looked like it was going out but it hung there and curled around to almost hug the touchline. Brilliant. I think he will only get better and better as the team grow in confidence.