You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luis Suarez

Guest simon

Two very different situations and we shouldn't conflate the two.

Given we paid in excess of £12m for Ryan Babel from Ajax back in pre-Manchester City transfer inflation days, it's hardly unreasonable for Ajax to expect us to pay top price for their star player. He's plainly worth in excess of £20m in today's climate: if we can't afford that, then don't insult everyone (including our own fans) by even making a bid for him.

However: Blackpool's valuation of Adam is a joke, and they'll regret it when he goes for half that in the summer because they can no longer afford his wages once they are back in the Championship. His form will fall badly away now, in my opinion.

But people are quite right to ask questions of FSG - and of Damien Comolli's competence, or lack of (for which there is ample evidence in his time in football). Fact is that we seem likely to end yet another transfer window with more money coming in than out, and a weaker squad. It doesn't matter what they've done in Boston, and that offers me no reassurance at all. They need to start showing what their plan is here and what they are in Premiershop football for. We simply can't proceed on blind faith and empty words - surely we've learned that much since February 2007?? Thus far I'm afraid they have made a very disappointing start.

cant agree with that. Firstly, theyve made no promises at all and secondly the window isnt shut yet. Think we should all reserve judgement for the moment.

Why should we pay over the odds for players! Just because other teams pay stupid amounts in January doesn't mean we have to. Fuck Charlie and Suarez off in Jan, they'll get pissed of with their clubs for not releasing them and we'll get them a hell of a lot cheaper in the summer (if we still want them).

I firmly believe Kenny can cope with what he's got for the rest of this season. Would be nice to add fresh faces but ah well if we don't.

I think FSG are doing the right thing. Look at Wenger - He got Arseshave for about 12 mil when anyone else would of had to pay 18ish.

It doesn't matter what they've done in Boston, and that offers me no reassurance at all. They need to start showing what their plan is here and what they are in Premiershop football for. We simply can't proceed on blind faith and empty words - surely we've learned that much since February 2007?? Thus far I'm afraid they have made a very disappointing start.

They need to show something latest in the summer. The appointment of Hodgson made sure that this season went down the drain. We signed poor players, we played bad football.

Now we need to do the opposite. Dalglish has given us a hope of good football, the signings need to come for next season, at the latest. If they come with sensible prices this window, fine. If not, then we should go on, keep working on the real targets with the view of signing them in the summer. We should not, under any circumstances, start throwing good money after bad. The Arsenal model, that the owners have been talking about, should start now.

Guest ShoePiss
I have huge faith in these owners going forward, on the basis of how they've conducted themselves in every other sport venture they've touched. Regardless of whether these deals go through this window - realistically, the only tangible difference they would make this season is between 8 - 6 - they have a hugely successful history of running things in sports. Extremely savvy people - something Hicks and Gillett never, ever were in any sport or for any team.

Hardly wide-eyed Yanks caught in European lights as the Mirror article suggests.

"Every other sports venture they've touched, hugely successful history of running things in sports" - sports should be replaced by Boston red sox unless you know of other teams they've been hugely successful with?

As for football, they are clueless, they've admitted that right off the bat :)

It's just worthless journalism from his part.

No new quotes at all, infact no quotes at all or even a indication of where he got it from.

Which means he has just chosen to angle the article in the way he has because of the last thing that came out of LFC was Comolli's words that no new contact had been made. Since then no one from LFC has said anything to the press regarding transfers. So to me it just suggests he knows fuck all and is just trying to generate reads for his rubbish.

"Every other sports venture they've touched, hugely successful history of running things in sports" - sports should be replaced by Boston red sox unless you know of other teams they've been hugely successful with?

As for football, they are clueless, they've admitted that right off the bat :)

NASCAR ?

Answer to Timao

Hello. Do you usually ask people about their age, couse you want more friends? Your question was a stupid question and not related to the point.

So you will not get any answer.

But I can tell you some things you may didn't know:

If you want to challange the best club, you need to buy the best players. If we offer £12,7 M for Suarez its a joke. The best english clubs all have top strikers (I don't rate Arsenal cause the're don't win trophies anymore). Lets see:

Rooney £25.6

Berbatov £30.75M

Drogba £24M

Tevez £47 M

Adebayor £25 M

So what does this tell you? Yes. You need some top class players, and they are expensive. Manchester United are a grat example. They pay for som real class, and the rest of the squad is a mix with a lot of talent. But as it seems now, Liverpool are unwilling to buy this class, and we will not conquer anymore.

So when NESV bought us they should make us stronger when they have the chance.

Answer to Timao

Hello. Do you usually ask people about their age, couse you want more friends? Your question was a stupid question and not related to the point.

If you want to challange the best club, you need to buy the best players. If we offer £12,7 M for Suarez its a joke. The best english clubs all have top strikers (I don't rate Arsenal cause the're don't win trophies anymore). Lets see:

Rooney £25.6

Berbatov £30.75M

Drogba £24M

Tevez £47 M

Adebayor £25 M

So what does this tell you? Yes. You need some top class players, and they are expensive. Manchester United are a grat example. They pay for som real class, and the rest of the squad is a mix with a lot of talent. But as it seems now, Liverpool are unwilling to buy this class, and we will not conquer anymore.

Luis Suarez has done nothing in our regards to warrant a 25m transfer fee and if United could have got Rooney cheaper, they would have. There's not point in comparing us to City as they're financially on another planet.

You wouldn't mind Rooney and Berbatov eh? How about United's crippling debt that will rear its ugly head the minute they stop winning? Want that to?

When a player of undoubted world class ability comes up and wants to play here and we don't bother to sign him, then I'll be upset. Suarez will improve our squad, he's a very good player but he's not of the talent Berbatov or Rooney were when United bought them, nor Ferdinand for that matter who they also delivered for a massive fee.

I do however agree that United are a good role model in one sense and that is to spend big when that player perfect for you does come along and supplement the team with players that compliment it for a lesser price be they from the youth team or good players who might not be the best but can be improved and are available for a knock down price, say Charlie Adam for example...

Answer to Timao

Rooney £25.6

Berbatov £30.75M

Drogba £24M

Tevez £47 M

Adebayor £25 M

You are forgetting that those were inflated prices. The economy was good back then. Transfers made by City are irrelevant cause their prices are too high. Tevez cost 25 million, including his wages it comes upto 47 million.

Answer to Timao

Rooney £25.6

Berbatov £30.75M

Drogba £24M

Tevez £47 M

Adebayor £25 M

Tevez £47m ?

What's your point?

You don't have to spend big to buy good players,Torres and Alonso combined cost approx £32m.

Veron and Shevchenko cost lots of money,you don't have to spend big to get value.

I see a few people are quick to look for a scapegoat already, Comolli is that man for some I fear.

So you're no longer allowed to have doubts and reservations - expressed at the time of his appointment - because of his mixed prior record (to say the least) and his ability to fall out with everyone who has ever employed him? Just see what his former employer at St Etienne (as well as Spurs and Arsenal) had to say about him. Big on talk, small on delivery. Seemed to me that FSG went for the talk.

I was surprised when we appointed him and my view has only been confirmed. And he's bound to take the blame given the inability of our owners to appoint a CEO because he's doing a job he's not qualifed for.

What's wrong with that?

Guest ShoePiss
NASCAR ?

They haven't been hugely successful in nascar besides which they're only part owners in that deal with the other 50% being owned by an actual race car person.

Answer to Timao

Rooney £25.6

Berbatov £30.75M

Drogba £24M

Tevez £47 M

Adebayor £25 M

Awesome, you don't count Arsenal, despite them being the main challenger for the filth this season AND being in a final already this season, but you count Citeh who have won, er......

Awesome logic batman.

Oh, and as for top class strikers that you have to pay top dollar to get, I think we have some lad called er Fern, Fink, Foob... Hold on I'll get it in a min...

Oh yeah WORLD CUP WINNING Fernando Torres.

Thats the chap. PS he was cheaper than all those players you quoted.

You are saying we have to pay more than we did for Torres to get a player with less ability than him by the way. Are you mental?

It'll be a very disappointing January if we don't sign anyone.

They have to understand it's very hard to get what they call 'value.' To everyone else it's us unsettling their players and being tight bastards by making shit bids.

We still could make some signings though.

Disagree! Neighter Rooney or Berbatov were better players than Suarez is. Suarez has been outstanding in the Netherlands eresdivisie, and is a better goalscorer than both of them. I have seen most of Ajax matches over the past 2 years, and I would rate him higher then both Berbatov and Rooney. Take for example a look at the WC. Suarez did impress, did Rooney? Ehh..

I'm also disagree with you saying that the prizes is lower now the before the fincancial crisis. Thats not true. Its not so many transfers anymore, but the big transfers is bigger.

So you're no longer allowed to have doubts and reservations - expressed at the time of his appointment - because of his mixed prior record (to say the least) and his ability to fall out with everyone who has ever employed him? Just see what his former employer at St Etienne (as well as Spurs and Arsenal) had to say about him. Big on talk, small on delivery. Seemed to me that FSG went for the talk.

I was surprised when we appointed him and my view has only been confirmed. What's wrong with that?

I can understand reservations but can't see what he has done wrong so far?.

I think a lot of mud was chucked at him by the media over here which seems to have clouded peoples opinions.

They need to show something latest in the summer. The appointment of Hodgson made sure that this season went down the drain. We signed poor players, we played bad football.

Now we need to do the opposite. Dalglish has given us a hope of good football, the signings need to come for next season, at the latest. If they come with sensible prices this window, fine. If not, then we should go on, keep working on the real targets with the view of signing them in the summer. We should not, under any circumstances, start throwing good money after bad. The Arsenal model, that the owners have been talking about, should start now.

Was just going to say the same. Eliminate the fan hysteria, journalistic bullshit, Holloway's spaz attacks and Ajax's obvious auctioneering and you're left with pretty much how Arsenal do things. I can't complain about that.