You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man-management is about getting the most performance from a given set of inputs.

Jose had a lot better players (inputs) but still lost twice when it really mattered to Rafa & with it went his job.

Rather destroys the man-management idea.

Interestingly his replacement had no such problems.

So you are measuring the careers of 3 managers on just 3 cup ties?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are measuring the careers of 3 managers on just 3 cup ties?

No but the idea that Rafa is a poor man-manager is utterly ludicrous when his career includes putting a CL winner's medal in Traore's safety deposit box

Rafa had a vastly inferior set of players but beat Jose twice when it really mattered.

Some of that was down to the advantage our fans gave, most of it was due to his superior tactical & motivational ability to Jose

When we played them a 3rd time that advantage had gone as Grant played a straight bat

No but the idea that Rafa is a poor man-manager is utterly ludicrous when his career includes putting a CL winner's medal in Traore's safety deposit box

Rafa had a vastly inferior set of players but beat Jose twice when it really mattered.

Some of that was down to the advantage our fans gave, most of it was due to his superior tactical & motivational ability to Jose

When we played them a 3rd time that advantage had gone as Grant played a straight bat

That's Benitez greatest strength, his ability to get the best out of non hoppers. And his greatest downfall too: his fondness for working with non hoppers who follow his instructions to a tee.

That's Benitez greatest strength, his ability to get the best out of non hoppers. And his greatest downfall too: his fondness for working with non hoppers who follow his instructions to a tee.

That may well be a fair criticism but getting the best out of no-hopers is not consistent with poor man-management.

Man-management is about getting the most performance from a given set of inputs.

Jose had a lot better players (inputs) but still lost twice when it really mattered to Rafa & with it went his job.

What have Chelsea won since he left? Did he have the world's best players at Porto?

You don't have to attack Mourinho to defend Rafa - that's just silly.

No such problems??? Well it went to extra time, and in the 1st leg Cech kept them in it and Riise handed them a vital away goal. It wasn't Avram Grant that made the difference, if was simply the law of averages. At some point we were always going to lose to Chelsea in a semi. The irony is we lost the one that we actually played best in.

Moureen is an absolute bellend!

However, there is absolutely no denining the man has talent of sorts, look at his record and it speaks for itself, he also has the ability to disrupt any other manager and create this atmosphere around his teams that builds fantastic team ethic.

However, back to my initial point Liverpools squad isn't actually that far behind in terms of quality behind Manure, me and my mate went through both squads in many different formations and found the main difference is the attacking options, but we are only maybe one or two world class attacking players behind them. We have by far a better centre midfield, a better gk and in the next 2 seasons by far a better centre half pairing. My point about this rant is that maybe Moureen could get the best out of these players and deliver championship 19? However, for now i'm sitting on the fence because i haven't lost faith in rafa, the man knows far more than any fan could ever know.

Yet the latest current theme to defend the manager as to why we're not challenging in the league is supposedly the players want the CL more (which I think both Rafa and Mascherano have been quoted as saying recently). So Rafa is great at motivating motivated players, but not so great at motivated unmotivated players? There's clear motivational and management issues at Liverpool (there won't be tonight, but who needs motivating to play Real Madrid?) - it seems to me fellas who don't give a shit about being well man-managed do alright. Those that need nursing don't. To try and compare skills of 3 men down to 3 ties proves nothing for any of them and just throwin Djimi Traore's hat in the ring proves nothing either. Traore was made to look a mug in most games in that CL run, but luckily fopr us kept getting away with it.

EDIT - although I'm equally unsure Mourinho would be much better, but I have to say I haven't followed him as closely as I have our own manager.

Mourinho has excellent qualities and it's stupid to deny them to bolster the "defence of Rafa".

Mourinho has monumental defects and it's stupid to ignore them to bolster the "attack on Rafa".

I can see why some people might think he'd be more likely to win the League with us than any other manager. Personally Ithink this is a pipe-dream and in the extremely remote event that he did become our manager while we've got the current ownership problems it's far more likely that he'd devastate us and move on.

Completely underwhelmed with Inter over the two legs. They should have been a few down after the first leg and offered absolutely nothing against a stuttering United side last night.

If anything, they're not as good as last season.

I love watching Cambiasso play though, class act.