You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Garry Barry

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Babel and Villa either side of Torres interchanging during the game with Gerrard playing behind Torres would be one hell of an attacking line up.

If you purely go on his performances during Euro 2008 you will see that Villa is not a player who just stays in the centre but likes to drift left or right and drop into the centre.

I'm sorry I just let this talk go.

If we were to sign David Villa (which we won't) He would become our record signing. Why on hell would we then play him out of position. Whenever i've seen him play, he's play down the middle either playing off a striker or as the main outlet (like Torres was for us last season) Yes he drifts wide, into the channels, its what top class strikers do. You do not start the poor sod out there.

Villa would have to play alongside Torres which would mean another change of system. With Barry coming it would mean Gerrard playing outwide. I'm not against that idea but it simply won't happen.

We've finally found a system that works. Lets for once buy players to fit that system, lets buy round pegs for round holes. Barry's signing makes sense for the 4-5-1 system. As does Milners/Downing/Reira shoudl any of them happen. Not really the quality any of us would hope for but they are players who are being brought in for a specific role where they are at their best.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TK-421
Me too, but if Milner, Downing and Riera are the players earmarked for those positions, then i'd rather explore other options such as Villa.

If we're selling Pennant and Crouch then that will free up two squad places. If we sign Degen, Dossena, Barry, David Villa and one of the three players you've mentioned I'd see that as a successful summer.

I'm sorry I just let this talk go.

If we were to sign David Villa (which we won't) He would become our record signing. Why on hell would we then play him out of position. Whenever i've seen him play, he's play down the middle either playing off a striker or as the main outlet (like Torres was for us last season) Yes he drifts wide, into the channels, its what top class strikers do. You do not start the poor sod out there.

Villa would have to play alongside Torres which would mean another change of system. With Barry coming it would mean Gerrard playing outwide. I'm not against that idea but it simply won't happen.

We've finally found a system that works. Lets for once buy players to fit that system, lets buy round pegs for round holes. Barry's signing makes sense for the 4-5-1 system. As does Milners/Downing/Reira shoudl any of them happen. Not really the quality any of us would hope for but they are players who are being brought in for a specific role where they are at their best.

If you were to read some of my other posts on this matter you will see i dont expect Villa to play out wide but as part of three strikers.

Villa has shown he is capable of drifting out wide and cutting inside and this is what i expect from the team next season.

There is a reason why Rafa has signed two attacking full backs in Degen and Dossena and that is because he is expecting both full backs to provide width next season whilst Babel and Kuyt/Villa cut inside.

Ive posted a formation of with and without the ball i think on the Villa thread so im not going to type it out again but i expect when we are attacking to play with three strikers and when defending Babel and Kuyt/Villa to be then more wide ready to recieve the ball.

Yeah i know what he is getting at Rash mate but to dismiss Villa because he can only play central either as a striker or just behind the main striker is just not true.

I have seen plenty of David Villa over the last two seasons and the lad likes to drift along the the front line and his reading of the game is superb.

A fine example of his movement and how good Torres is was for Villas first goal of his hat trick when he is deep to recieve the ball Torres makes the run collects the ball and Villa runs into the space to recieve the ball for an easy tap in.

A winger is no good for our system as Rafa wants to play three strikers upfront. This is why Kuyt played so many games for us out there and Pennant couldnt get sniff when we went 4-2-3-1.

Rafa will be looking at playing more 4-2-1-3 when we attack which means that Babel will be playing as left striker, Torres as central striker and Villa as right striker.

Like i said a player who needs to have the pace and stamina to be able to work all along the front line and from what i have seen Villa would not only be able to play that role but he would excel in it.

I've read what you've said elsewhere Coop. I just disagree with it.

Villa is an exceptional player but I don't believe he would fit in to our current system. Or at least you will be limiting his impact.

I agree completely about his movement across the back line but thats because he's given to do so from a central starting point. Drifting outwide is natural instint for a striker, drifing inside from out wide is not. He may adapt brilliantly and you could be spot on but its a big gamble to make given the amount of money we are talking about. Its not a great comparison but look at Henry. At Arsneal he was a central striker but often drifted out left, it worked as it was a natural movement. He had the freedom to make that movement. At Barca he's played immediately on the left, it is a forced move and not a natural one. He's not used to drifting inside from out. He's not looked comfortable at all.

If we were to sign Villa he'd have to play upfront alongside Torres and we'd have to adjust the team accordingly. IMO of course.

Villa is an exceptional player but I don't believe he would fit in to our current system. Or at least you will be limiting his impact.

I agree completely about his movement across the back line but thats because he's given to do so from a central starting point. Drifting outwide is natural instint for a striker, drifing inside from out wide is not. He may adapt brilliantly and you could be spot on but its a big gamble to make given the amount of money we are talking about. Its not a great comparison but look at Henry. At Arsneal he was a central striker but often drifted out left, it worked as it was a natural movement. He had the freedom to make that movement. At Barca he's played immediately on the left, it is a forced move and not a natural one. He's not used to drifting inside from out. He's not looked comfortable at all.

If we were to sign Villa he'd have to play upfront alongside Torres and we'd have to adjust the team accordingly. IMO of course.

That's a very good point. I'd rather take that gamble and add a world class player to the squad though, than bring the likes of Milner etc in.

He could start central mate and drift out wide.

I get what your saying and this is not a dig as im interested in other ideas but whom do you think would be best for that role.

I honestly think signing a winger is a waste of space as they have not got the predatory instincts that StevieH mentioned.

Dare i say it but Ronaldo is perfect for that role but its finding another one like him.

I share the same feelings at Coop. Villa would be perfect in the outside forward position.

That's a very good point. I'd rather take that gamble and add a world class player to the squad though, than bring the likes of Milner etc in.

So would I.

I get what your saying and this is not a dig as im interested in other ideas but whom do you think would be best for that role.

I honestly think signing a winger is a waste of space as they have not got the predatory instincts that StevieH mentioned.

Dare i say it but Ronaldo is perfect for that role but its finding another one like him.

I'm not sure tbh. I not against signing Villa. Far from it. i'd love to see us bring in a player of such talent. My only reservation is really how he'd fit in. It'd be a great/interesting problem to have though.

I could be wrong but hasn't there been a lot of discussion in Spain about Torres & Villa. Not necessarily whether they can play together but does it upset the balance of the team. Seems to be working ok so far though.

Marek Hamsik of Napoli would be perfect on the right hand side.

Marek Hamsik of Napoli would be perfect on the right hand side.

The only player I can think off the top of my head is Ben Arfa. Able to play either right or left flank. Has the abiity to beat a player and that bit of unknown quality. Babel, Ben Arfa and Kuyt occupying/rotating the two wide positions for the season with Benayoun also filling in at times.

I think it was Bob Paisley who said "Good players can play anywhere" - I think Villa is a good player as is Torres. I also think they're intelligent enough to work it out between them. They seem to be doing that at the moment.