You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Garry Barry

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aston Villa are on the brink of signing of Steve Sidwell as a replacement for Barry.

I get a feeling Liverpool are going to make one final offer then end their interest.

So go for Diarra instead in a swap with Crouchie, what would we do with the spare 15 - 20 m ? Hmmmmmmmmm

Diarra and Villa or Barry and Milner ......

We al know Rafa has his set price for what he thinks a player is worth and rarely goes over that amount.

I would imagine we will go in with one final take it or leave offer of around £14 million and if they refuse it then we will walk away.

Gareth Barry wants to join Liverpool but its about time he now made his feelings more public and put in a transfer request.

Diarra doesnt seem a bad player but i wouldnt say anything special and Redknapp has already said he isnt for sale at any price so once again the fee would be high for him.

I think if Aston Villa refuse one last bid of £14 million then its time for Rafa to look abroad for a new midfielder as he obviously has decided that Alonso is bot mobile enough.

We al know Rafa has his set price for what he thinks a player is worth and rarely goes over that amount.

I would imagine we will go in with one final take it or leave offer of around £14 million and if they refuse it then we will walk away.

Gareth Barry wants to join Liverpool but its about time he now made his feelings more public and put in a transfer request.

Diarra doesnt seem a bad player but i wouldnt say anything special and Redknapp has already said he isnt for sale at any price so once again the fee would be high for him.

I think if Aston Villa refuse one last bid of £14 million then its time for Rafa to look abroad for a new midfielder as he obviously has decided that Alonso is bot mobile enough.

Agree with that, it would be criminal to let Villa fleece us. Take it or leave it. We can always keep Xabi (Id rather do that anyway).

So go for Diarra instead in a swap with Crouchie, what would we do with the spare 15 - 20 m ? Hmmmmmmmmm

Diarra and Villa or Barry and Milner ......

diarra wasnt good enough for chelsea or arsneal,hes not good enough,it would be like buying forlan instead of torres last summer

I actually would like us to sign Barry, I also think he will improve us. I wouldn't pay the price Villa are demanding. I was watching Argentina the other night and Veron put some quality passes around the pitch in a game when Argentina were largely poor. Veron wasn't successful in England but I reckon he's been an outstanding footballer. I see Xabi in the same way, he was brilliant in his early period here but he's been poor for a couple of seasons now. There are mitigating factors like being in and out of the team due to injury but I was hoping at the start of last season that he would improve and that the season before was just a bad season. That didn't happen, though. Xabi Alonso is a quality footballer, has more ability than Barry but I have a feeling that Barry could improve us because he has facets that Xabi doesn't have.

I actually would like us to sign Barry, I also think he will improve us. I wouldn't pay the price Villa are demanding. I was watching Argentina the other night and Veron put some quality passes around the pitch in a game when Argentina were largely poor. Veron wasn't successful in England but I reckon he's been an outstanding footballer. I see Xabi in the same way, he was brilliant in his early period here but he's been poor for a couple of seasons now. There are mitigating factors like being in and out of the team due to injury but I was hoping at the start of last season that he would improve and that the season before was just a bad season. That didn't happen, though. Xabi Alonso is a quality footballer, has more ability than Barry but I have a feeling that Barry could improve us because he has facets that Xabi doesn't have.

Nice summary Dave. As for his value, well 15 to 20 does seem steep, but Villa dont want to sell, he's got time remaining on his contract and is 'prem ready' so i guess 15m wouldnt be that steep. However, where we always seem to fail is in selling our players. Crouch for just 10m, Pennant for less than we paid, Riise for just 4m ......... We never seem to sell well and just give em away.

As much as I don't really want us to sign Barry, we can't really complain about the price Villa want. Carrick and Hargreaves have both gone for £17m in recent years and he's keeping both out of the England team and he captained the side recently.

Just because we couldn't sell ice in a heatwave doesn't mean other clubs should follow our lead.

Nice summary Dave. As for his value, well 15 to 20 does seem steep, but Villa dont want to sell, he's got time remaining on his contract and is 'prem ready' so i guess 15m wouldnt be that steep. However, where we always seem to fail is in selling our players. Crouch for just 10m, Pennant for less than we paid, Riise for just 4m ......... We never seem to sell well and just give em away.

A further point, we should sell Alonso before we buy Barry too. Otherwise, we put the power into Juve's hands during the negotiation. The reason we tend to fail when selling our players is that, in the main, the ones that leave are the ones that have failed or are coming to the end of their career. Owen is the only one but he only had one year on his contract.

Normally i'd agree but we have to remember that both riise and crouch are on the last year of their contract. To get 10m and 5m(as quoted) for them both is a great deal.

Villa don't need to sell and barry IS worth 18m. I'm not his biggest fan but the fact that he's better than carrick and hargreaves who both cost 18m each means that barry is going to go for the same figure minimum. We're in no position to bargain. He has 3 years left on his contract and villa know that if they don't sell him this season the chances are he'll stay for a very long time as we'll get someone else and no other big club needs him.

I think if Aston Villa refuse one last bid of £14 million then its time for Rafa to look abroad for a new midfielder as he obviously has decided that Alonso is not mobile enough.

Not sure if it's a case of Alonso not being mobile enough - I think it's just the fact that Barry has the Prem mentality and will dig in and battle. Perhaps it's just Benitez learning what it takes to win the Prem.

Milner - if this rumour turns out to be true - also has the battling mentality that Pennant lacks somewhat.

Alonso is more then capable of battling and i cant say i have ever seen him shirk out of a challenge.

The guy tried shaking off a broken ankle by stamping on the ground.

For me it has to be the balance Barry would add to the left side and the fact that Barry is more mobile.

A further point, we should sell Alonso before we buy Barry too. Otherwise, we put the power into Juve's hands during the negotiation. The reason we tend to fail when selling our players is that, in the main, the ones that leave are the ones that have failed or are coming to the end of their career. Owen is the only one but he only had one year on his contract.

ah, this was true in the past, but Alonso, Crouch even Pennant in my eyes have increased their stock since coming to us. Of course in Crouchs case, he's only a year to run on his contract (As pointed out by Glen C), but If Carrick and Hargreaves are 18m, Barry too then Alonso must be in that bracket, especially as we paid 10m for him in the first place.

As for selling Xabi first, good point, though I suspect that this will be grasped by some (Fans and press) as an indication of the Yanks not backing us yada yada yada.

Alonso is more then capable of battling and i cant say i have ever seen him shirk out of a challenge.

The guy tried shaking off a broken ankle by stamping on the ground.

For me it has to be the balance Barry would add to the left side and the fact that Barry is more mobile.

You could going on about mobility Coop, but Barry is far from dynamic mate. He just sits there spraying passes around.

You could going on about mobility Coop, but Barry is far from dynamic mate. He just sits there spraying passes around.

I think Barry is more mobile and more likely to pop up in the box then Alonso but i do agree there is not massive difference in between Barry and Xabi and probably not enough to justify more or less swapping the two players just on mobility.

The balance that Barry will offer as regards being able to cover the whole of the left side and the left centre must obviously be a major factor.

Some of Alonso's best performances for me have come when he can actually get further forward and quickly thinking off the top of my head he was superb against Derby at Anfield when he scored a couple of goals and in the Merseyside derby the season before he was immense.

One person was missing in those two games, Steven Gerrard and i think the fact when Gerrard plays it means Alonso has to sit far more deeper and this stops him making as much as an impression as he would like to do.

We have already seen in the England games that Barry and Gerrard link up well.