You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

weezerweezerweezer...

Chris

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patronising twat. Do one.

That is rich coming from you.

I also see you have a complex about your musical taste.

I was actually referring to the music media's hype of all bands that haven't ot the life span as a band you can call great.

Weezer are a good band, but your comment on them being the greatest band of all time, shows you lack some serious musical knowledge.

14 years isn't a good lifespan for a band?

Miss Sweeny and Pig are ace songs - I'm still worried about the album, but it can't be worse than the last one, so hooray!

Yes 14 years is a good lifespan for any band, and something I would be proud of. If you look at what they have done and compare to what a great band has done in that time same time period, and ask the question, on a whole will they still be talked about in great belief that they were a great band in 25 years time?

I would say they are a good band, but so far away from being a great band.

I like Weezer, certainly not the best by any stretch of the imagination, but a good band none the less. Talking Heads are by far the best "geek rock" band there ever was.

I only started to be be able to tolerate Talking Heads a couple of years ago when I had got hold of Marquee Moon by Television. I was so wrong in my criticism of David Byrne in my youth.

What can you recommend of them King?

Pig is a great song but the demo is far better than the bonus track.

Oh snap, I've only heard the demo from the link you put up. Thanks for that, by the way.

Yes 14 years is a good lifespan for any band, and something I would be proud of. If you look at what they have done and compare to what a great band has done in that time same time period, and ask the question, on a whole will they still be talked about in great belief that they were a great band in 25 years time?

I would say they are a good band, but so far away from being a great band.

They'll be seen as easily one of the most influential bands of their generation, so yes, a great band.

I only started to be be able to tolerate Talking Heads a couple of years ago when I had got hold of Marquee Moon by Television. I was so wrong in my criticism of David Byrne in my youth.

What can you recommend of them King?

Anything pre 1985 mate, "More songs about buildings and food" "The name of this band is Taking Heads" and "Talking Heads" are simply sublime.

That is rich coming from you.

I also see you have a complex about your musical taste.

I was actually referring to the music media's hype of all bands that haven't ot the life span as a band you can call great.

Weezer are a good band, but your comment on them being the greatest band of all time, shows you lack some serious musical knowledge.

They're my favourite band then. Does that compute with you, fucko?

They're my favourite band then. Does that compute with you, fucko?

I think that would be a better statement than branding them the greatest band of all time Chris. We all know that title is given to the vengaboys.

• 1 year later...

Weezer peaked with Pinkerton, in my view. It's a relentless, obstreperous deluge of distorted guitars and high-hat cymbals. Compared to the crisp, clean-cut pop of Weezer's eponymous debut, Pinkerton is a madman's demo tape. The band most certainly had not delivered more of the same -- when "the same" was precisely what everybody wanted. So it's easy to see why music-criticism-circa-1996 regarded it with derision and a parade of inimical condemnations. But now we know better.

A cold, malnourished bastard son, wanted by neither the world nor its own father, Pinkerton struck out on its own, relying on the departures that ostensibly doomed it (cacophony, rawness, emotion) to save itself. Fans old and new latched onto its shameless honesty, driving frontman and creator Rivers Cuomo to unadulterated regret (he once equated the album to a cathartic tirade the drunk regrets the following morning). So few mad scientists can kill their monsters.

Pinkerton is Weezer's best album, and, sad to say, it probably always will be. Somewhere between the beautiful noise of "Tired of Sex" and the delicate acoustics of "Butterfly" lay the underpinnings of the magnum opus of a band sent from the heavens to help quell the pain of Kurt's exit. Buoyed by singles "el Scorcho," "The Good Life," and thirsty-Thursday anthem "Pink Triangle," Pinkerton excels at everything, yet does it in a shy, insecure, practically self-hating way. Its fanbase relates.

Sometimes it's an obligation to sit down and take inventory of all the mistakes you've made in life. At least, with Pinkerton, you can do it with a sympathetic, if a little neurotic, friend.

That's what I reckon anyway.

Guest ShoePiss

I saw Weezer last year, although I'd gone to the concert to watch one of the supporting bands; Tokyo Police Club.

Weezer did a very nice thing at the end of the show, earlier in the day on the radio they invited local musicians to perform their last song with them on stage, there were around 100 musicians playing various instruments to a song I don't know the name of but had heard before. In fact Weezer's entire set consisted of songs I'd heard before but didn't know who did them :)